Big Jake is useful?

KID55

Yes. 

Sometimes anyway.  Being a cheap enforcer doesn't matter a lot of the time, but it can help if you are doing things like hunting party, or make them suffer to let you still keep a relatively large crew but not give up too many easy points. 

His ability to count as two models is very useful in Recconnoter style games, especially if you can hold him near the middle till the end of the turn, where he can single handedly switch a losing quarter to a winning quarter sometimes. He also will probably be there on the final turn, and can spend his time drawing cards if you have nothign else for him to do other than stand there to score you points. 

Of course cheap enforcer means more bounty given up on Collect the bounty. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KID55 said:

And he can return on turn 5, if I sacrifice him earlier with Monkeys paw trinket? 

Yeah, he sure can!

As for Big Jake himself he's almost the epitomy of average in terms of his stat line and attacks, so the real reason to hire him is if counting as two models will be useful, if you need a cheap enforcer (which has already been covered, but also it can help with Show of Force), or if Don't Mind Me will be handy. I take him almost always in interference/reconnoiter, and I at least consider him in games like headhunter when the don't mind me can be super useful.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Nukemouse said:

He is very annoying in guard the stash because he holds the stash very well and comes back later.

You only need one model for each stash marker, and he's a bit too squashy for guard the stash. I find something more durable and cheap, like Dead Outlaws or (if you're in Jack) Drowned are better if you want something to guard on the cheap.

16 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

If his other talents are relevant, I occasionally take him for Frame games. I don't necessarily make him the sucker but the fact that I have an easy to kill model up at my opponent's face earning me VP can make the opponent second guess themselves.

Does his coming back ability still allow him to be killed?  Then if so, good for frame but bad for other kill schemes.

5 hours ago, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

Does his coming back ability still allow him to be killed?  Then if so, good for frame but bad for other kill schemes.

Not really. He isn't really an easy kill and in general the fact that killing him  doesn't actually get rid of him for good means that you get less value out of killing him than you would out of killing a different 5 ss model. 

15 minutes ago, Adran said:

Not really. He isn't really an easy kill and in general the fact that killing him  doesn't actually get rid of him for good means that you get less value out of killing him than you would out of killing a different 5 ss model. 

He dies fairly fast unless you really defend him.  He's only Df 5, 6 wounds.  He's nice because he comes back and since his dmg isn't crazy, opponents won't bother killing him unless he's proving problematic.  In certain matchups he's good (interference, headhunter) but a terrible pick in Collect the Bounty

2 hours ago, Davos said:

He's good in Headhunter and fantastic for Interference + Extraction .  He can single handily lock down a quadrant or guaratee that you'll pull the marker for extraction, which makes in easier to deny for your opponent.

Big Jake only counts as 2 models when determining VP from a strategy, not from any other part of it. So he'll count for two models when SCORING extraction, but not two models when determining who moves the marker I'm afraid...

Hmmm true.   I'll need to watch for that. I think I still have been playing it right, but I'll have to make sure I don't mess it up (I don't bring him a ton so i wouldnt be surprised if I've screwed it up).  Still, auto-scoring a Strat is nice.  And can free up other models. Granted, I've started moving away from him, but still a nice tool in the belt.