C.Hoffman starter

Jinxs

So I managed to luck out and get my hands on a C.Hoffman gang with a couple extra pieces from a guy at my local shop, but that is neither here nor there. 

So my question is, how does one Hoffman or at least not get beat within the first couple turns, especially with the new stuff coming out for him.

With the Ramos box, build the spiders in swarms. With a Ml7 model looped in you really won't be disappointed!

I'd recommend a Peacekeeper ASAP, with Ryle, Rail Golem and the Emissary on the 'when funds allow' list.

To get best use out of Hoffman, try to use him in cycles. First turn, activate him early to get his upgrades and power loops out there. Second turn, you want him going late to heal up his crew, and then activate him early third turn to use power loops etc. Repeat turns 2 & 3 for 4 & 5.

This way you get as much use as possible out of his upgrades and power loops.

That's how I've got best use out of him anyway. He does me proud every time I put him on the table, even in fixed Master events with relic hammers everywhere - they have to be alive to swing those hammers...

Not sure anything I've seen so far in the new upgrades changes how I'd use him. They give him some cool new options but they don't fundamentally change how he works.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PanzerHarris said:

With the Ramos box, build the spiders in swarms. With a Ml7 model looped in you really won't be disappointed!

I'd recommend a Peacekeeper ASAP, with Ryle, Rail Golem and the Emissary on the 'when funds allow' list.

To get best use out of Hoffman, try to use him in cycles. First turn, activate him early to get his upgrades and power loops out there. Second turn, you want him going late to heal up his crew, and then activate him early third turn to use power loops etc. Repeat turns 2 & 3 for 4 & 5.

This way you get as much use as possible out of his upgrades and power loops.

That's how I've got best use out of him anyway. He does me proud every time I put him on the table, even in fixed Master events with relic hammers everywhere - they have to be alive to swing those hammers...

Not sure anything I've seen so far in the new upgrades changes how I'd use him. They give him some cool new options but they don't fundamentally change how he works.

Lol last time I took him to a fixed faction event I seemed to run into master after master that ignored armor (or was pandora, so incrementalized damage).  I am really looking forward his harness upgrade.

1 hour ago, PanzerHarris said:

I just skip the power loops and spam Machine Puppet. Seems like better use of AP most of the time.

• Like 3

I don't know how it'll play out given his new upgrade with the "can't ignore my armor nyah nyah" passive, but looping in something with Df 6 was huge beforehand, and doing so with the Guardian also gets you a Ml 7. +1 or +2 Ml (like with the Rail Golem) is pretty big and I personally rate it higher than an extra AP (Assuming you had 1-2 AP left for Machine Puppet after Looping).

I only wish Hoffman's totem had Feedback instead of Integrated Systems. The Malifaux Child trick has always seemed a little cheesy and immersion-breaking, and I think changing Hoffman's totem in that respect would make it more compelling.

26 minutes ago, Pyrflamme said:

I don't know how it'll play out given his new upgrade with the "can't ignore my armor nyah nyah" passive, but looping in something with Df 6 was huge beforehand, and doing so with the Guardian also gets you a Ml 7. +1 or +2 Ml (like with the Rail Golem) is pretty big and I personally rate it higher than an extra AP (Assuming you had 1-2 AP left for Machine Puppet after Looping).

I only wish Hoffman's totem had Feedback instead of Integrated Systems. The Malifaux Child trick has always seemed a little cheesy and immersion-breaking, and I think changing Hoffman's totem in that respect would make it more compelling.

I've always imagined that murdering the Malifaux child was like performing a ritual sacrifice to make that permanent.

As a side note, I wonder if anyone would have ever felt it was overpowered if Power loop was something that you have to pay to do, but it doesn't go away on you.

30 minutes ago, Pyrflamme said:

That sort of depends on what you play. If you take models with shitty stats you have to use Power Loop, but if you play good models instead, that isn't so necessary.

• Like 2