Wave 5 upgrade hype thread.

4thstringer

13 minutes ago, trikk said:

I never got more than 1 and usually get 0 because a decent player will alpha Sonnia from out of 14 range and I`d never go within 10" because thats the charge of almost every model I wouldn`t like near Sonnia.

The more I play with Loco the more I see him as a trap and the less I like him. .......

Hit for 2. 6" push with a chain activation which means you have 3 shots at 20 inches. If you have an 8 you can walk again and do it again for 26"

Your first mistake is playing against decent players.  Sonnia murders the heck out of newbies.

You are saying nurse hb gives sonnia crazy range.   Not the other way around.  I'm thinking if you want to get range out of nurse hb you can hit 2 or even three times.   If you have papas buff and effigy you could recoup all or most ofthe damage. 

2 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

If you don't want to play with Loco, I don't see much point in investing in Sonnia's mobility either. I think she'd serve much better by lighting something on fire, throwing down a wall and then chain activating into Sammael. That is, if you want to use the chain activations for something big.

Are you suggesting Sam is a competitive pick?  He's another on my list of bad picks I'm gonna make work. 

2 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

Which is why you should always aim at something that can't use SS and then hit the SS users with the blasts. Can't be done always, sure, but that just means that you should probably re-evaluate what you want to accomplish with her. Having opponent spend 2ss to prevent gaining burning is worth something as well.

Mind explaining the last part?  I'm feeling a little dumb. 

1 minute ago, Myyrä said:

Which is why you should always aim at something that can't use SS and then hit the SS users with the blasts. Can't be done always, sure, but that just means that you should probably re-evaluate what you want to accomplish with her. Having opponent spend 2ss to prevent gaining burning is worth something as well.

But thats the thing with this upgrade. It just widens your target pool. All I can say is having that would have won me some games I lost, so I might be biased a bit

1 minute ago, 4thstringer said:

Are you suggesting Sam is a competitive pick?  He's another on my list of bad picks I'm gonna make work. 

It seems like he could be. He has the damage and now he also has access to reliable burning. His mobility is still pretty bad though.

Just now, Myyrä said:

I don't think the TN is the problem with Flaming Bullets. The problem is that Sam's AP is frigging expensive.

Which is also why Sam might be a good candidate for Hoffman cyborg crew. He hands out AP like candy and mobility isn't a problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Myyrä said:

Which is also why Sam might be a good candidate for Hoffman cyborg crew. He hands out AP like candy and mobility isn't a problem.

I've been repeating trying Samael + Ryle in a Hoffman crew for flaming bullety death. I just need to get a single pass at it without a black joker showing up so I can judge the effectiveness properly! :angry: But before now it also needed the emissary and that was a lot of points sunk into it. Maybe it's doable now without 10ss extra for the emissary.

Ok, here is the deal:

1) make Sidir a construct. Power loop him in.

2) he doesn't have to use power loop stats himself, so power loop is there to stay. Right?

3) finally a '7' stat for Sh. Yay for emissar, hunters, Ryle.

Another idea: Queeg with promises, lead lined coat, cyborged and with armor. he is not going down this way. Expensive, but gives out so many good things and you are not scared to lose him.

• Like 2

I don't think Sonnia's upgrade radically changes her but if you're tied in melee and have already gone with Frank you can now take a close attack and push her out which is a nice extra trick. I'll assume it works on friendlies so that you have a more or less 100% chance to zoom away and get to blast with your two other ap.

I'm not sure how often ml blasts will be useful but she can place those 2" away fom the target too so it might cause some damage. I will likely not be dropping cards to increase her ml very often but maybe in a desperate situation where you need to guarantee a hit against something bad.

The chain activations seem nice to me. Should increase the likelyhood of Sam getting to do something useful since a common problem I had were enemies activating and removing burning between him and the handler going. If Sonnia just tried to get away from someone she can now companion into another witch hunter to charge in and tie them up.

It doesn't help makeher a scheming godess and it's kind of tricky because she already has trouble picking upgrades but she's not alone in that situation.

2 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I don't think Sonnia's upgrade radically changes her but if you're tied in melee and have already gone with Frank you can now take a close attack and push her out which is a nice extra trick. I'll assume it works on friendlies so that you have a more or less 100% chance to zoom away and get to blast with your two other ap.

I'm not sure how often ml blasts will be useful but she can place those 2" away fom the target too so it might cause some damage. I will likely not be dropping cards to increase her ml very often but maybe in a desperate situation where you need to guarantee a hit against something bad.

The chain activations seem nice to me. Should increase the likelyhood of Sam getting to do something useful since a common problem I had were enemies activating and removing burning between him and the handler going. If Sonnia just tried to get away from someone she can now companion into another witch hunter to charge in and tie them up.

It doesn't help makeher a scheming godess and it's kind of tricky because she already has trouble picking upgrades but she's not alone in that situation.

I think its better to drop 2 cards and hit with Ml7 and guarantee a 1 AP to get out of combat than try with Ml5 and save it for Ca9. If you fail the first attack your whole activation is kind of ruined.

Worth noting, Flame with the Chain Activation upgrade and Disrupt Magic gives negatives to casts

I often throw cards for defense on her. People seem to want to kill her so I make them work a little for it, df 8 isn't too shabby even if that first activation at only six can be scary. Does the attack push the one you hit or Sonnia herself because I would rather push myself off a friendly hit than actually need to cheat a card to hit someone who ian't relenting.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried new hoffman tonight, and that place is such a hyuge boost for him I can't even begin to describe how much I like it.  My opponent didn't unleash armor ignore against me so I didn't have to deal with that, but I used the cyborg grimwell a lot.   Turns out that when for a 1 activation you can give grimwell fast and he can focus, he is likely to land a severe lobotomy on someone.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fazza92 said:

What upgrade have you put on Hoffman?I've founding difficulty found a good setup now,and It's hard take more than 7 model totals with him...

I was playing field repairs and the two new ones.   I had a seven model crew,  having been built for a specific jank (symbols of authority). I had frank grimwell mounted guard papa and 2 riot breakers (who were my mvps)

There really was nowhere to go but up, at least in perceived power levels.  I'm almost disappointed we are doing the current gg2018, because right now I can't tell which to attribute to new upgrades and models (who have flat out performed for me) and which to attribute to a gg2018 that doesn't fight me at every turn.

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

There really was nowhere to go but up, at least in perceived power levels.  I'm almost disappointed we are doing the current gg2018, because right now I can't tell which to attribute to new upgrades and models (who have flat out performed for me) and which to attribute to a gg2018 that doesn't fight me at every turn.

I don`t want you to take it personally but I`m more interested in how top competetive lists work and not how Weird-Themed 4thstringer lists work :P

4 minutes ago, trikk said:

I don`t want you to take it personally but I`m more interested in how top competetive lists work and not how Weird-Themed 4thstringer lists work :P

Shhhhh, its the same thing.  My weird lists are now the mainstream! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Actually, who knows.  Almost every list I have played has been jank, since I am still trying out the new upgrades.  But I will say that the uses of most of the Wave 5 models (not upgrades) has been pretty standard play, and has been delicious.

15 hours ago, trikk said:

And I don't want there to be a top competitive list, I'd like to turn up to events and face a range of Weird -themed 4thstringer lists because they can work!

Don't get me wrong, Reckoning is a strategy with some faults, but it does at least normally make you build a different list. I find it boring when you build your list and then find out what you have to do with it. I'd cope if there was at least a different "core build" for each strategy so if I faced guild 4 times in an event I'll at least face 4 different guild lists, but I want people to think about crew construction

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Adran said:

And I don't want there to be a top competitive list, I'd like to turn up to events and face a range of Weird -themed 4thstringer lists because they can work!

Don't get me wrong, Reckoning is a strategy with some faults, but it does at least normally make you build a different list. I find it boring when you build your list and then find out what you have to do with it. I'd cope if there was at least a different "core build" for each strategy so if I faced guild 4 times in an event I'll at least face 4 different guild lists, but I want people to think about crew construction

I don't want a one top competetive list. But I want to see how our top lists works when played versus other factions top lists and masters played by good players because right now we're pretty behind which I realized after I went from Guild to Hamelin.

3 hours ago, Adran said:

3 hours ago, trikk said:

I don't want a one top competetive list. But I want to see how our top lists works when played versus other factions top lists and masters played by good players because right now we're pretty behind which I realized after I went from Guild to Hamelin.

The nice thing is with a new wave this broad  it will be harder to see what has gotten boosted.  I tend to leave those judgments for Trikk, Myraa, Ludvig, and others,  because it isnt the style of malifaux I play.   But I'd imagine if the crazy is working, the good stuff might be working better too.

Ive been seriously considering bringing my brand of jank to nova next year,  since guild is so underrepresented and I only live like an hour from the location.