Wyrd Still Likes Through The Breach??

WolfDayDream

It takes finding a group.  Post up flyers. Hit local forums. Shout it from mountaintops. Offer to run a one shot. But yeah,  I am going to be starting a group locally in January and already have one going Tuesday nights.  Also,  there will be one shots at adepticon if they aren't full already. I may need to add more sessions. 

Considering I live in the Netherlands and not in one of the more populated areas, making everything Wyrd about as easy to find as a bear on the moon, I'm fortunate enough to not only pick up both books at a fantasy fair, but also that I've found about 7 people interested enough to experiment with it. Currently running with a group of 3 players, but I'm definitely going to keep shouting "THIS IS DIFFERENT, TRY IT" where ever I go.

So find experienced RPGers, show them the system (either by flipping the book open or gushing about it) and basically do what Shadowopal suggested. It worked for me.

Long ago in the Early Age of Roleplaying Gaming (no Internet back then, that's how ancient it was), I had RPG characters that I played.... but then came a day when I must needs take my turn at being the DM, and run some scenarios.  And, LO! I soon found myself being pretty good at it.... and I enjoyed it such that it came to pass that I was doing more of that than playing of characters.

So I accepted my Fate: I have been Dungeon Master, Game Master, Keeper, and diverse other titles.....

And now I am a Fatemaster.

And I do like it!

TL;DR - Give it a go: offer to run some beginner sessions, offer to provide ready-made Fated characters (many Penny Dreadful One Shots available that include them), see if some folks you know are willing to just experiment with a game that doesn't push buttons or roll dice.... you might end up with some people finding that they like it too!

As with most RPGs, it's far easier to get a game together if you're willing to be the GM.

Exactly. Everytime I want to try a new game, I start by being the GM.

TTB is lucky enough to have a lot of scenarios already prepared for the would be GM. They are usually detailled enough that the preparation work for the GM is minimal. More experienced GM will want to make some tweaks though (to better suit the way their specific players think / enjoy the game) but I think a starting GM should be quite comfortable (I started RPGs with a lot worse resources than that :p).

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, yool1981 said:

Exactly. Everytime I want to try a new game, I start by being the GM.

TTB is lucky enough to have a lot of scenarios already prepared for the would be GM. They are usually detailled enough that the preparation work for the GM is minimal. More experienced GM will want to make some tweaks though (to better suit the way their specific players think / enjoy the game) but I think a starting GM should be quite comfortable (I started RPGs with a lot worse resources than that :p).

Yeah. I never ran a game before. All the scenarios are a big help.

23 hours ago, WolfDayDream said:

I did I think twice now... I think Ohio is totally nonexistent on the TTB side of Wyrd...

TtB has been difficult to get started up in NE Ohio as well (Pathfinder seems to be king), however I think that may change. The Into the Bayou book is the first in the series that really felt like a "Faction" book to me. The others really didn't provide that feeling, though did provide plenty of source material for the game world. Hopefully that trend (of producing books that are more representative of a Malifaux Faction) continues with future books.

Unfortunately TtB has some features that sour a lot of gamers, many of which are correctable by the fate masters through modification (many have also been recommended in this subsection).

32 minutes ago, Omenbringer said:

Unfortunately TtB has some features that sour a lot of gamers, many of which are correctable by the fate masters through modification (many have also been recommended in this subsection).

Would you mind elaborating on what features that a lot of gamers don't like?   I haven't really heard many from my local group, so i'm interested in a different perspective.

3 hours ago, baggined said:

Would you mind elaborating on what features that a lot of gamers don't like?   I haven't really heard many from my local group, so i'm interested in a different perspective.

Well the common ones are the static value resolution system of the non-fated versus the random value generation system for the fated. The issue is most noticeable at the lower and higher ends of the non-fated ranking. Another is the designed to end aspect which usually occurs just about the time the fated are becoming real players in Malifaux. The last (which has gotten a hell of a lot better as more supplements have been published, well deserved credit to the new developers) is the magic system.

In regards to the first, there have been many good suggestions on how to address this with minimal change to the core system. Some don't view it as a huge issue, others see it as a major design flaw. I lean toward the latter, particularly if your group contains a "munchkin" or two who like to game the system (this can also be accomplished inadvertently) or you would like to include Henchman or higher ranked non-fated in your games. The sweet spot for encounters is really at the enforcer level where the non-fated's static value is close to the average value generated by the fated's random resolution system. The second is probably the easiest to alter requiring little more than allowing the party of fated to continue beyond the resolution of the last destiny step or advanced pursuit step for the group. A lot of the initial issues with this was likely attributable to players rushing destiny steps, however some of it probably originates from misconceptions from Malifaux. Fated, even kitted out and at the end of their destiny steps, never really feel on par with Henchman or Master ranked non-fated. The static resolution system, in my opinion,  is the biggest contributor to this sentiment. And finally the Magic system. if you only own the first two books it is more than a bit lacking in detail. As more supplements have been published this has become much less of an issue (though increased costs is almost always a turn off for those interested in trying a new game).

While I like TtB, if for no other reason than it greatly expands the details of Malifaux (which was once left to vague innuendo and the communities assumptions) I do feel it is better suited as a story telling game as opposed to combat oriented one (White Wolf's World of Darkness series of RPG's is similar in this regard). Players coming from Malifaux tend to be the hardest on the system as there is a bit of an expectation that the game have a more combat oriented focus. If a player strongly favors combat in TtB it tends to place the fatemaster into a much more adversarial role where higher ranked non-fated are utilized to provide a suitable challenge (this is a bit of a double edged sword as it can also showcase the issues with the static resolution values of the non-fated versus the random values of the fated). By no means am I saying the system can't function, I am saying it leaves a bit to be desired in that venue. TtB tends to be more of a connoisseurs game than say pathfinder, D&D, or similarly combat focused systems.

Like with most games, setting the players expectations early can be a major key in the success of the game.

17 hours ago, Omenbringer said:

While I like TtB, if for no other reason than it greatly expands the details of Malifaux (which was once left to vague innuendo and the communities assumptions) I do feel it is better suited as a story telling game as opposed to combat oriented one (White Wolf's World of Darkness series of RPG's is similar in this regard).

D&D, IKRPG... tend to look a bit more like board games to me. I tried to run a few scenarios but my players did not like them very much and I was bored by the lack of social interactions (we spent more time on battlemaps than on really working on the characters, their motivations and the way they interact with NPCs).

TtB's fluff is all shades of grey, factions, manipulations... allowing for diversified scenarios and complexe intrigue. It also reminds me of White Wolf's Vampire the Mascarade in a very good way and adds a very special magical steampunk chtonian western flavour to it.

As Omenbringer said, whether you like it or not depends on what you look for in a RPG.

• Like 1