Ulix without Old Major

scottb

Gracie doesn't really fill the same role as Old Major imo - OM is more of a support piece for pigs who can pack a punch if he needs to, whereas Gracie is more of an unkillable melee beast. I'd be very wary of summoning off her because she has so few wounds (comparitively) and the damage summoning deals is unreduceable, meaning a turn of piglet summoning will leave her on 2 wounds, and Riled Up will then pop her Hard to Kill. The Sow is probably your best choice to summon off in this case - she has a few more wounds and can catch up to a fight when you're done summoning more easily (Charge 9!!!!!! WHY?)

Old Major is imo Just The Best option for Corn Husks because at least when I play him he's not too strained for upgrades, and he's Ht3 so he has the best LoS. Your only real other options if you're using Gracie's upgrade slot are Ulix or Sammy. I'd suggest not using Sammy because not only is she Ht1, but also if you're going to use her to carry an Ulix upgrade you should probably pick one that uses her AP like Hunting Bow just for AP efficiency. Which really just leaves Ulix which isn't ideal but it's doable. I don't think you necessarily need Corn Husks (although it does help set up War Pig summons). I'm not sure how you're planning on playing Ulix, but typically I'll bring Husbandry and Dirty Cheater guaranteed, which leaves one slot left that you could fit Corn Husks in.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

The Sow is probably your best choice to summon off in this case - she has a few more wounds.

Yeah, I was planning on using The Sow for summoning.

I don't have cards/books to hand, can the Sow have any upgrades?

Does this mean Gracie is an optional choice rather than necessary? Although obviously she brings benefits to the crew.

Gracie works better for the ball, not the farm. At least, in my experience. I absolutely love Old Major. Almost everything he has is range LoS and he's great to summon piglets off of. (As awkward as that is) and Nudge Em is pretty much an amazing ability.

Sow is probably your best option otherwise though.

• Like 1

There's also the possibility of tracking down Somer's old metal Avatar model and using Peaches (Somer's giant Pig) as an Old Major proxy. That's what a friend of a mine is using and it really doesn't look like any other Pig (not armoured enough for Gracie, not three-headed nor pregnant enough for The Sow, and not crazy enough for War Pig). You could even add the ribbon from green stuff if you were so inclined. Official Wyrd tournament-legal proxy.@Omenbringermight be able to help you track down one as he is really good when it comes to the old metal stock.

Appreciate the endorsement @Math Mathonwy, my local game store does in fact have a handful of the old Somer teeth Jones Avatar models available. Send me a PM if you want their contact information, and yes they will mail internationally.

Additionally you can try Gadzooksgaming they seem to have at least one in stock and the price is fair.

As for the original question not having Old Major in the crew will definitely effect how things run. He really does a lot for the crew before considering upgrades. Rile 'em Up for example really helps the pigs who benefit with those higher defense models (helping both accuracy and extending the cheatable damage range). An Eye on the Young'uns is a boon for adding some control to the otherwise unruly pigs that aren't in range of a Gremlin or Pork Whisper'n model at the start of its activation (Wild Boar) or start of an Action (Piglet and Warpig). His two Tactical Actions are pretty nice to have as well with Nudge 'em On offering some assistance with both positioning and trigger control. He really is difficult to replace.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Omenbringer said:

As for the original question not having Old Major in the crew will definitely effect how things run. He really does a lot for the crew before considering upgrades. Rile 'em Up for example really helps the pigs who benefit with those higher defense models (helping both accuracy and extending the cheatable damage range). An Eye on the Young'uns is a boon for adding some control to the otherwise unruly pigs that aren't in range of a Gremlin or Pork Whisper'n model at the start of its activation (Wild Boar) or start of an Action (Piglet and Warpig). His two Tactical Actions are pretty nice to have as well with Nudge 'em On offering some assistance with both positioning and trigger control. He really is difficult to replace.

Probably my favourite action of his is his (0) to push friendly gremlins towards him - it's nice and useful for getting that Slop Hauler along with the pig ball as well as relocating Ulix.

• 6 months later...

Corn Husks is so good, piglets are already amazingly good at running certain schemes (interact with enemy type ones) and it makes them even better, as well as making scheme running harder for your opponents. I would have a difficult time justifying not using it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that Corn husks is not a must have, but it is very good at denying a large number of scheme marker schemes or tricks. If the scheme pool doesn't need  scheme  markers, then its probably not that good. ( Say, Eliminate the leader, last stand, hunting party, Frame for murder,  claim jump. )

Not sure I agree that Corn Husks is not a must have (though I would phrase it more as should have unless there is a very good reason not to), particularly if Ulix is planning on running Wild Boars (who can gain extra movement via their 0 action from Scheme Markers) or Summoning War Pigs (which requires 3 friendly scheme markers to do). Piglets don't have a competing 0 AP action so providing all of the Piglets in LOS of Old Major one is worth every bit of 2 SS (especially if you can pull out a War Pig or two in the early turns).

• Like 1

Hi guys. I tried something and worked geat. It was a little bit situational but gg17 make these situations more common IMO. 

I played ulix as following :

Ulix (dirty cheater)(husbandry)

Old cranky

Tricibelle

Gracie

Burt (dirty cheater)

Slop hauler

2x piglets

The point of the list is to summon ONLY turn1. You stone if necessary and use old cranky to have 3 suitable cards (12 and 9s) . Then you summon one warpig and 2 piglets from gracie. You cheat both piglets for healing reasons. Heal with (0) and heal with slop hauler. All these in your deployment zone because you have to be in a 7" bubble to do that. Then advance and gracie carries ulix. Piglets around him. Burt as usual an allstar and trixibelle stunning! Then ulix ap are either marker and 2 obey attacks to do d.t.g. or his mellee which is really good tbh. The warpig in a flank can destroy scheme runners. I tried that in a super friendly drunken game but still. The potential was there. Corn husks was vital in gg16. Gg17 reward other type of scheme running. The denial of scheme markers you lose can be balanced with the fact you focus on killing and staying. I think old major is a great support model with strong attack but you need a lot of pigs. I don't like to summon after turn one. Masters can do nastier things than adding another piglet imo.

The way I usually played Ulix is with something along the following list:

Ulix
    Dirty Cheater, 1SS
    Husbandry, 3SS
Old Major, 9SS
    Corn Husks, 2SS
Sammy LaCroix, 7SS
    Huntin' Bow, 2SS
Merris LaCroix, 6SS
Slop Hauler, 5SS

Total: 35

This would be the core. I usually bring another 50mm pig like the sow (to summon from and abuse hunting bow) , but it's not super necessary. A starting piglet is also great to help with the schemes for a warpig summon, but not super necessary.

I really like merris with this list because she makes the warpig setup really easy, and if you are unlucky enough not to have a 12  in your hand, even after popping a soulstone at the game start, you can use her ability to draw 2 and place 3 on top of the deck. yes, you get one less car in hand, but this is hardly a problem turn 1.

I go heavy summon with ulix turn 1 and 2, popping 2 piglets and 1 warpig per turn and healing them all back up with ulix aoe heal on pigs and slop hauler. Sammy is there to put pressure with hunting bow, but I reckon she might not be super necessary. Also tried a taxidermist last time, and I can tell you: a flying Sow charging from a hunting bow shot is quite something