Variant format - The Deserter

Panner_

Some time ago, me and a frequent Malifaux sparring partner decided to try out an alternative format over Vassal. A format called The Deserter.

The rules are simple:

You CAN and MUST hire exactly one Henchman from another faction that you couldn't normally hire. Henchmen that have special hiring restrictions like Hungering Darkness and Victoria of Blood are not allowed. This henchman is called The Deserter.

The Deserter can buy upgrades from its own faction, and can't buy upgrades from the master's faction. If The Deserter is dual-faction, you must choose one of those factions for The Deserter's upgrades.

Building a crew with these rules is a unique challenge since it requires you to look for synergies that are normally not your radar. Some are obvious, some are not.

Furthermore, we used some themed variants of GG2016 schemes:

Neutralize the Deserter - like Neutralize the Leader except you target the opponent's Deserter instead of master.
Deserter Entourage - like Undercover Entourage except you must choose your Deserter.

In the end I won the match with my Widow Weaver Deserter (can you guess which master I used?) and it was overall a good time. So if you're looking for a way to shake up your casual matches a bit, try out The Deserter. What crazy combos can you find?

• Like 1

It would never stand as the most legendary raid in Gremlin history--that honor, like it or not (and make no mistake, Som'er did not), would stand forever with the LaCroix. Still, this one hadn't done poorly. They'd managed the one-two punch of getting rid of one of the most annoying gremlins there was (who was not an uppity LaCroix) and bagging something interesting to drag into the swamp. It did take more than one hit upside the head from Lenny's log to get him subdued, and less than it took to knock out the gremlin they dropped off. Even counting by Som'er's shaky math skills, it was a good trade.

"Lenny!" he hollered. "Has it woken up yet?"

"...Dunno."

Shoulda yelled at a bayou bro and maybe gotten an answer, he thought. Now he couldn't go yell at one or it'd look like he'd been wrong in the first place. He whirled around and let the coat swing out all impressive-like, like that was the point, and not just turning around to go look at developments himself, like he had nothing better to do. But as he stumped through the mud to Lenny and the new acquisition, Som'er was forced to admit that Lenny'd been right.

It was standing up, alright, but anything that didn't at least twitch when it was prodded by a boomstick wasn't exactly awake neither. Som'er prodded. Som'er hollered. Som'er poked. Som'er was ignored by both giant lumbering things towering over him, and more importantly, over his hat. Som'er didn't like that, and swore, "What'd'I need to do to get this dang thing to fire?!"

On hearing the word, it started to fire--and didn't stop. Lenny's log stopped several bullets, Somer's hat got ventilated, and the bayou gremlins milling around would later be shaking lead out of their clothes for hours.

Meanwhile, back in Guild territory, a very groggy and sore-headed gremlin was waking up flat on his back. The first thing he saw was, close to his face and thin and metallic, so close he had to cross his eyes to focus on it, an end of a torch. And when he focused on it, the torch-bearer struck the spark.

"Hey! I ain't a robot!" he yelped.

"I had noticed that."

Sparks uncrossed his eyes and looked a little further on. "Now you, mister, you got enough metal platin' to be a robot."

Hoffman flicked the igniter again. "Construct. This is a construct workshop."

"Alright, construct, robot, whatever y'like." Sparks tried to maneuver out from under the torch, but the soulstone torch twisted to that side and this time lit with its flame at full power. He rolled back to where he'd started, a tad singed, and Hoffman cut the power. Sparks had gotten a glimpse of rows of robo-- of constructs, and of another human standing nearby and looking like a guy the railworkers would've enjoyed kicking whenever they could get away with it. He'd gotten a feel for unnecessary supervisory authority while working on the rail lines, and this human had it. "He a construct too?"

"No. This is a workshop for constructs only. Which is why it is most unusual to find you here, where a particular construct ought to be."

"I don't know about that!" yelped Sparks. "I got knocked out afore! I must've gotten dragged here!" Out of the corner of his eye the gremlin could see the authority frown. Time to change the topic, fast. "Now if you got this guy in your workshop, that's no problem, I'll make him a robot and then he'll belong. Construct! I forgot. I forgot--"

The authority started to say something, but a manipulator arm folded out from Hoffman's harness and made a hushing gesture. Another metallic arm extended a clipboard and pen. "'Make' him a construct, you say?" asked Hoffman. "Tell me more."

• Like 3

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:08 PM, Gnomezilla said:

It would never stand as the most legendary raid in Gremlin history--that honor, like it or not (and make no mistake, Som'er did not), would stand forever with the LaCroix. Still, this one hadn't done poorly. They'd managed the one-two punch of getting rid of one of the most annoying gremlins there was (who was not an uppity LaCroix) and bagging something interesting to drag into the swamp. It did take more than one hit upside the head from Lenny's log to get him subdued, and less than it took to knock out the gremlin they dropped off. Even counting by Som'er's shaky math skills, it was a good trade.

"Lenny!" he hollered. "Has it woken up yet?"

"...Dunno."

Shoulda yelled at a bayou bro and maybe gotten an answer, he thought. Now he couldn't go yell at one or it'd look like he'd been wrong in the first place. He whirled around and let the coat swing out all impressive-like, like that was the point, and not just turning around to go look at developments himself, like he had nothing better to do. But as he stumped through the mud to Lenny and the new acquisition, Som'er was forced to admit that Lenny'd been right.

It was standing up, alright, but anything that didn't at least twitch when it was prodded by a boomstick wasn't exactly awake neither. Som'er prodded. Som'er hollered. Som'er poked. Som'er was ignored by both giant lumbering things towering over him, and more importantly, over his hat. Som'er didn't like that, and swore, "What'd'I need to do to get this dang thing to fire?!"

On hearing the word, it started to fire--and didn't stop. Lenny's log stopped several bullets, Somer's hat got ventilated, and the bayou gremlins milling around would later be shaking lead out of their clothes for hours.

Meanwhile, back in Guild territory, a very groggy and sore-headed gremlin was waking up flat on his back. The first thing he saw was, close to his face and thin and metallic, so close he had to cross his eyes to focus on it, an end of a torch. And when he focused on it, the torch-bearer struck the spark.

"Hey! I ain't a robot!" he yelped.

"I had noticed that."

Sparks uncrossed his eyes and looked a little further on. "Now you, mister, you got enough metal platin' to be a robot."

Hoffman flicked the igniter again. "Construct. This is a construct workshop."

"Alright, construct, robot, whatever." Sparks tried to maneuver out from under the torch, but the soulstone torch twisted to that side and this time lit with its flame at full power. He rolled back to where he'd started, a tad singed, and Hoffman cut the power. Sparks had gotten a glimpse of rows of robo-- of constructs, and of another human standing nearby and looking like a guy the railworkers would've enjoyed kicking whenever they could get away with it. He'd gotten a feel for unnecessary supervisory authority while working on the rail lines, and this human had it. "He a construct too?"

"No. This is a workshop for constructs only. Which is why it is most unusual to find you here, where a particular construct ought to be."

"I don't know about that!" yelped Sparks. "I got knocked out! I must've gotten dragged here!" Out of the corner of his eye the gremlin could see the authority frown. Time to change the topic, fast. "Now if you got this guy in your workshop, that's no problem, I'll make him a robot and then he'll belong. Construct! I forgot. I forgot--"

The authority started to say something, but a manipulator arm folded out from Hoffman's harness and made a hushing gesture. Another metallic arm extended a clipboard and pen. "'Make' him a construct, you say?" asked Hoffman. "Tell me more."

That was beautiful.

As for combos, I'm thinking Widow Weaver with Seamus to take advantage of the webs and Exhale Terror.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Who/what is it the gremlins captured?

I'm reading "Ryle" between the lines..

58 minutes ago, Munindk said:

While we're at it - Sebastian in a Brewmaster crew...

I'm the afforementioned sparring partner, and that is exactly what I ran. I thought I was being clever.. but Panner was even more clever than me. And I do also like to point out I think I had the terrain against me a bit, but that's a poor excuse.

6 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Who/what is it the gremlins captured?

3 hours ago, Therril_83 said:

I'm reading "Ryle" between the lines..

That's what I intended. Looking at it from Som'er's POV, exchanging a gremlin that never shuts up and doesn't shoot great for something which never talks, never hogs the 'shine, and shoots everything so long as it's standing near Lenny (go, perpetual automatic raking fire triggers!) was ideal. As for Sparks constructifying everything in Guild's sight, my current giggle is the thought of taking a Sh7 loop out to the field, maybe throw in the Emissary for extra squee, and ventilate anyone who thought they were guaranteed a pure melee menace Hoffball. Or maybe using the pale rider's ultimate attack on turn four instead of five. There's options.

How about moving Trixiebelle into any crew which lives or dies by seizing initiative? Say, the Viktorias?....I'm sure there's the outfit of at least one dead ronin somewhere in the camp that she can borrow to blend in. But, of course, keeping the cowboy hat. One sashaying green Asian fantasy cowgirl, coming up! (Although for the sake of a short story, I'd have to have her try to sweet-talk her way into working with Leveticus. Not sure whether Alyce would make an instant new best friend, or develop another case of 'extra-wide line of fire'.)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Toshiro for Gremlins would be pretty crazy. His Summoning and positive Twists would be amazing for Gremlins, especially since his Summoning utilizes Suits less used in the Gremlin Faction.

Sammy's good student could lead to some interesting shenanigans.

Lynch with a respawning, Casting Expert Hungering Darkness.

McCabe able to carry Barbs and still have three tradable upgrades on the field.  All four with the Emissary.

• Like 2

(I couldn't resist.)

The bell over the shop door snapped back on its spring, and jingled. Rusty Alyce didn't see anyone come in. Probably one of those abominations nudging the door open, then, and not worth getting up for. She looked down to the field-stripped pistol again but kept an eye on the front of the shop.

Someone had come in, someone short. A crown of a hat showed as its owner stepped lightly around some piles of mechanica awaiting attention. Maybe that little guy with the rope-hook, maybe an ensorcelled gamin bound to the task by the piece of clothing; not quite interesting enough to get up for, even if the alternative was doing the fiddly work of cleaning the gun. It was his job, besides. She scrubbed away traces of spent powder, and waited.

Leveticus stepped away from his own tasks (his footsteps heavy on one side), but without greeting the stranger he walked to a pile near Alyce. "I asked you to mind the shop," he muttered, beginning to sort through a pile of minor protheses fresh from a battlefield: tin fingers and hand-hooks, porcelain eyes and noses and a rounded bit which may have been a false chin. "You can't ignore her. Go find out what she wants."

Alyce sniffed and considered her replies, but then the customer hove into view and curiosity got the better of her. Since when did he refuse to be around anyone who dressed like that? Even if she was green? She slid off of the stool. "Hey."

"How-dee," replied the little green lady, and she lifted and tipped her hat, and tipped forward herself, to the accompaniment of lopsided footsteps behind Alyce. "I hear you're the ones to help me find what I'm lookin' for."

"What are you...uh..." Rusty Alyce really didn't want to think about looking at the moment, but she didn't really have a choice. Something else. She needed to say something else, anything else. "...I'm Alyce."

"Charmed t'make your acquaintance. Trixiebelle." Her hand resettled the hat and fluttered close to her heart. Leveticus stumped to a different pile altogether. "I'm lookin' for someone who's lookin' to hire another fine shot." She reached for her hip and--holy hell, how'd Alyce not have noticed that?!--tugged loose one big ol' gun from a holster as inadequate as the gremlin's own clothing, and pointed it right at her. Alyce slapped the gun aside, metal hand ringing against a barrel etched with daisies.

"Oh dear, I do keep forgettin'," cooed Trixiebelle, "but they do say I've got an eye for spottin' when trouble's about to happen over me, so they don't mind it when I go pointin' my gun on account of trouble gen'rally does start to happen when I do."

Rusty Alyce looked at the gun, and beyond it. Leveticus didn't flinch when a gun was pointed at him, she knew it more than anyone. He just kept an eye on it, and waited. But give it a few seconds and his gaze would go wander to the shooter and...

Yes, he did. Of course he did. And immediately he turned his back and left the shop altogether.

She pointed out the door. "Does that usually happen over you too?"

"Well, it surely has since I got into the city, but I surely do not know why..." Trixbelle's mouth turned down at the corners, a charming pout. Rusty Alyce grinned from ear to ear.

"Oh, I like you. No, wait, even better idea. If you really can tell when a fight's about to start, I know some girls who are going to love having you around, and they are always, always hiring...."

On 6/17/2016 at 9:13 AM, CougDyver said:

How about widow weaver in a Mei (or Ramos) crew.  Get some scrap on the board easy with Joss or Mechanized Porkchop for some Teddy Summoning.

Arcanist Assets, 1ss: Howard Langston, 12ss; Large Arachnid, 6ss; Metal Gamin, 4ss; Mobile Toolkit, 3ss: Ml7 Df5 +dmg Teddy tearing up the board on turn 2, priceless.

I think I like you. You have ideas!

• Like 1

The crew I used was Widow Weaver with Marcus. I had a Large Arachnid killing my own Jackalope and Raptors over and over, netting four corpse/scrap markers per turn. Markers that Widow Weaver turned into Teddies at a rate of one Teddy per turn. Unfortunately I black jokered an attack on turn 2 and had to go for the backup plan, which meant I never got my third Teddy. But it didn't matter, on turn 3 I simply used the Widow Weaver and arachnid for other purposes instead. Also, Angelica did a fantastic job letting my models advance while working 'the grinder', meaning the Teddies popped up closer and closer to the action.

Other combos I thought of using include:

Nekima + McCabe. Giving Nekima her fourth AP in Nimble is pretty crazy in itself, but then you can for funsies have Nekima kill off McCabe and get five APs. Good luck standing up to that kind of power.

Sammy LaCroix + Dreamer. Sammy takes the summoning upgrade and Dreamer takes the Chompy upgrade. Mayhem ensues.

Francisco + Anyone. It's not very creative, but hey, a good model is a good model.