Mercenarys you like with Neverborn

Commisarp

I have been wondering lately about what Mercs are useful to have in your bag if you are playing neverborn.  I'm looking at this from more a 'models it is usefull to buy to slot into Neverborn Crews' angle, rather then coming up with specific lists. These are my thoughts so far...

Johan/Johanna
Everyone goes on about how useful Johan is in any crew all the time forever. I get it, condition removal is good.

McTavish
Good synergy with other Swamp-fiends, can carry Hexed Among you. Good shooting, and Zorida can hire him without merc tax.

Performers
These seem quite handy, and if you play Collodi, you can use the Mannequins as well. 

Hans
I read a lot of folks saying 'take hans for shooting as we lack shooting' but I don't know if that information pre-dates Angel Eyes. Angel Eyes is already very good. A good friend of mine keeps trying to convince me to Run Angel Eyes AND Hans AND McTavish with Zorida for fun times.

Taelor
She pops up as a suggestion quite a lot. Strong model against summoners.  

Bishop
Looks like he could see some play with Pandora.

Convict Gunslinger
If you needed to add yet more ranged? I have a Friend who swears by these. 

Sue
Again, looks like he could be usefull. Also literally Johnny Cash.

Lazarus
I hear this guy could be good with Collodi. 

Crossroads Seven
Loads of really good options, in a really cool box.

But, I'm quite new to Malifaux. Are there any of these you reckon I will buy and then never ever play in anger with because they are just not that good. Are there any mercs that you think are awesome in neverborn, and that I have definately missed a trick?

Get Johan (or Johanna, if you can find her). Aside from Scion of Black Blood and a trigger on one of The Dreamer's actions, we have no other condition removal.

I do quite like Lazarus with Collodi and the Performer (and Nurse) with Zoraida. I also think Aionus is a good bet to be good against Outcasts even if you don't know what they're taking.

McTavish or sometimes a hog whisperer are presently the only "mercenary" models I hire as  "mercenary's" into neverborn, as they are the only ones I can justify hiring fluffwise and which suit my play style/synergies I enjoy.

I'm yet to find this limiting. 

When I start running Collodi with something other than dolls I "feel" as though I can justify taking either a musician or a dancing girl to draw crowds to the carnival but we'll see....

Lucius I could see making use of mercenaries but I'm trying to master him running mainly mimics, guardsmen and swampfiends (since he is spotted conversing with a waldgiest) at the moment.

• Like 1

I can't believe no-ones mentioned Hannah.

Taking her with Lilith and the primordial magic for a 7 card hand, drawing 9 at the start. Or take her in a crew with lilitu and doppleganger to get loadsa lures!

She also adds blast to crews, which is always nice.

2 hours ago, Sybarite said:

Waht?

Just wanted to highlight that Angle Eyes isn't an option to begin with ^^.

45 minutes ago, feagaur said:

I can't believe no-ones mentioned Hannah.

Taking her with Lilith and the primordial magic for a 7 card hand, drawing 9 at the start. Or take her in a crew with lilitu and doppleganger to get loadsa lures!

She also adds blast to crews, which is always nice.

Interesting. Really like the Lilitu combo, could be great for Headhunter and Reckoning.

Johan is more than just condition removal.  He's copyable condition removal attached to a relic hammer and kinda durable while doing it.  Doppelgangers love relic hammers almost as much as they love Nekima's sword.  Getting both in a 7ss package is nice.

You seem to have left out Trappers.  They're absolutely fantastic, particularly with masters or crews that generate a lot of card draw to get those high rams.  Being able to reach out and apply 5-6 wounds of damage from across the board on a highly mobile, relatively durable frame can really ruin people's days.  Sniping out one of a Coryphee pair, picking off key support models that tend to be squishy, etc.

Expensive, but it is a solid model.  It's just that for 11ss, I don't know if it is better than a Teddy/Mature, and Nekima is only 2ss more.  If you know you'll be facing a Ramos or Hoffman crew, though, a Ret's Eye Strongarm Suit can jump in and crush the opponent's leader and cripple them pretty early on.

The main thing I've found with ? is that he's just too easy to kill if you get another heavy hitter to him.

Hoping the Strongarm Suit can survive a round of combat against the likes of Izamu... 

Although if they bring armour ignoring models, he's probably toast anyway! 

On 5/27/2016 at 4:39 PM, Kirby said:

Johan is more than just condition removal.  He's copyable condition removal attached to a relic hammer and kinda durable while doing it.  Doppelgangers love relic hammers almost as much as they love Nekima's sword.  Getting both in a 7ss package is nice.

Johan is just ridiculously undercosted. The fact that you can happily pay the mercenary tax and do without half the abilities on his card is testament to that.