Trying to wrap my head around Wave 3

Hagisman

7 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Linguistics are never off topic! 

Considering how far english pronounciation already is from spelling you might as well keep original spelling from other languages or just make letter up at random ;) . I think it's fairly common to keep spelling on loan-words.

It not even limited to other languages. Ask anyone from Massachusetts about the names of their towns. Or even their sports teams... I'm looking at you Celtics or should I say Seltics.

• Like 2

Trikk:  There`s also some issues as we have different ways of writing the same sounds. So "rz" and "ż" are the same sound and nobody really knows the difference where to put what (there`s no real if then, just memorizing this word is with "rz" and this word is "ż")

That's what I'm talking about, having multiple spellings for the same sound or multiple sounds for the same spelling makes it harder to learn to write. Most languages are offenders there though. Also: Holy ****ing **** the polish have got this consonants thing down... Ever heard of vowels?! 

Hagisman: English is spoken in quite a large area and even ridiculously small languages like swedish who has about 10 million speakers can have insane dialects and variations in how you pronounce words.

This might be veering a liiiittle off topic now that you mention it.

So what about Pride? :D

Yes, it messes up writing a bit, but it doesn`t really affect the rest of the word so even if you mix "rz" with "ż" the rest of the word is written and sounds the same. Is has to do with the word ethymology. 

That was a tongue twister, but this language is like a constant tongue twister for foreigners :D

• Like 1

Pride seems good but I'm really not sure what I would replace in most lists since she doesn't exactly win games on her own.

If I anticipated a lot of incorporeal I'd have a look at adding her. Lucius would probably be better off with a spellcaster for the obvious reason but maybe in a Justice/Perdita list?

2 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Pride seems good but I'm really not sure what I would replace in most lists since she doesn't exactly win games on her own.

If I anticipated a lot of incorporeal I'd have a look at adding her. Lucius would probably be better off with a spellcaster for the obvious reason but maybe in a Justice/Perdita list?

Greed is pretty good, though I haven't been used to Ca actions in Guild yet. I'm not sure Pride fits with Guild, but Envy and Greed are good. Greed was so good that the Neverborn player in my group had her as a staple in his campaign lists.

Recently the Xroad7 haven't shown up in my group. Even though most of us have them.

4 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Hagisman: English is spoken in quite a large area and even ridiculously small languages like swedish who has about 10 million speakers can have insane dialects and variations in how you pronounce words.

This might be veering a liiiittle off topic now that you mention it.

If you want to hear dueling accents I will try to speak Swedish. I'm learning from a Jämtlander, so there's northern pronunciation on top of the expected Ameriskånska... :mellow:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

If you want to hear dueling accents I will try to speak Swedish. I'm learning from a Jämtlander, so there's northern pronunciation on top of the expected Ameriskånska... :mellow:

Haha! Underbart!

How come you're learning swedish?

26 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Haha! Underbart!

How come you're learning swedish?

Married one. ;) We lived there for a short while, but emigrated before I was accepted to SFI [language lessons].

8 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

Doppelganger in M2E is spelled Doppleganger for some reason.

I assumed that was done by the same person who decided the Weaver Widow became the Widow Weaver, to make the different editions obvious. Same reasoning as the slight rewording of the names of some henchmen. Was the renaming done to the very last releases of Malifaux version 1 + the very first releases of version 2? Otherwise I can't see the point.

Just now, Gnomezilla said:

Married one. ;) We lived there for a short while, but emigrated before I was accepted to SFI [language lessons].

I assumed that was done by the same person who decided the Weaver Widow became the Widow Weaver, to make the different editions obvious. Same reasoning as the slight rewording of the names of some henchmen. Was the renaming done to the very last releases of Malifaux version 1 + the very first releases of version 2? Otherwise I can't see the point.

Nice, I see you have good taste! ;) 

I hadn't noticed a lot of these changes, got into the game late 1,5 so I didn't pay much attention to models I didn't play.

9 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Nice, I see you have good taste! ;)

See, this is why we Finns have no respect for you Swedes. A real man would curse him for coming to your country and stealing your women!

(Not really. ...Although, I probably wouldn't have too much difficulty finding some people who would agree with that sentiment, unfortunately.)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

See, this is why we Finns have no respect for you Swedes. A real man would curse him for coming to your country and stealing your women!

(Not really. ...Although, I probably wouldn't have too much difficulty finding some people who would agree with that sentiment, unfortunately.)

They definetly exist here too.

11 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

But I didn't steal a woman, I stole one of his competition! Therefore, good deed!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

But I didn't steal a woman, I stole one of his competition! Therefore, good deed!

Can't argue with that. Although being married already it's really a moot point for me. Besides half our country has emigrated to America already so it's more like joining the club.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hagisman said:

SOO! A new combo I saw was that Queeg's Sadistic Streak can push Sanctioned Spellcasters without damaging them. That must be more interesting than linguistics.

Thanks for bringing us back on topic, this was getting depressing.

In the greater scope of things I actually find linguistics more interesting but in the scope of this thread you are 100% right. ;) 

That is a great catch! Nana Ortega can also use them for armour, do you think she and Queeg could hit it off in some other synergistic way?

16 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

That is a great catch! Nana Ortega can also use them for armour, do you think she and Queeg could hit it off in some other synergistic way?

Queek is a cheap Henchman. That means that his AP is cheaper than most other Henchmen's, and Spellcasters can use that AP.

Orderlies and Illuminated would also be prime candidates for benefiting from Sadistic Streak with their regeneration.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Awesome, thanks for proving my point. :D It's natural for your main language to affect later learned languages. 

I've taken it one step further to calling him master Squeek and imagining him as some weird rat-man with delusions of grandeur. His moustache screams Rattigan from Basil Mouse so the mixup may even be semantic rather than phonologic for a lot of people.

There is (was? who knows with Age of Sigmar) a Skaven special character called Queek Headtaker.

9 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Just by having the Elder Ortega give him the Family characteristic can change up his style. With Aura Ancestral up he'll go up to Wp8, double bonus is that with that and Pistoleros they will be at WP7 so they would only need a 5 to pass the Horror Duel.

Other family benefits I don't remember off hand except:

• Becoming a relocate target for Perdita
  • Nino's spotter ability.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hagisman said:

Just by having the Elder Ortega give him the Family characteristic can change up his style. With Aura Ancestral up he'll go up to Wp8, double bonus is that with that and Pistoleros they will be at WP7 so they would only need a 5 to pass the Horror Duel.

Other family benefits I don't remember off hand except:

• Becoming a relocate target for Perdita
  • Nino's spotter ability.

Amazing stuff! And him giving anyone with an upgrade + to WP on top of those beastly stats could actually be a good counter to some of the more horrible WP-shenanigans out there. Good thing I started assembling my Perdita this evening.

Imo the most important part of the SS are the control collar and the soulstone charge.  Everything else is just gravy.  Being able to get him up board and shooting first turn into your opponent (especially with a def 7 from frank) can really make your opponent miserable.  I can usually get 5 or six shots off with him on the first turn.   Or ill have him running schemes immediately so they have to try to deal with him.

6 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Imo the most important part of the SS are the control collar and the soulstone charge.  Everything else is just gravy.  Being able to get him up board and shooting first turn into your opponent (especially with a def 7 from frank) can really make your opponent miserable.  I can usually get 5 or six shots off with him on the first turn.   Or ill have him running schemes immediately so they have to try to deal with him.

I should get my head checked. I had discarded those aspects of the model as quirky.