Painters Challenge 2016 - APRIL

Vaiuri

Hello fellow challenge painters!  Here is my April task---the corephee duet nightmare edition.  This one looks like a fun challenge.  Mouse is my "not part of the challenge but the paint is out so go ahead and finish it already," model.  Only had the base and his boots done for about 1/2 year now. 

large.April2016_corephee_duet.jpglarge.Mouse_WIP.jpg

• Like 3

@Franchute - nice trick of light then, it seemed like amazing highlights in that picture ;) Anyway, I know you'll be able to do this mini justice. I did paint Mr Graves before, using slightly different color scheme. You can see him here.

@prof_bycid - good luck with the Coryphee. I haven't seen many of these painted so I look forward to seeing what you can come up with.

Thanks, Viruk!  I got one of the flying monkey -- corephee pairs assembled last night.  That in itself was adventure with lots of pieces to line up just right.  It went together pretty well, though.  Hopefully will get it ready for painting this week.  I am hoping to magnetize so that they can start separate and come together into the duet---four models on one base, including the monkeys.

• Like 1

This challenge is giving me a problem I did not expect: now I am itching to paint more and more and don't want to get ahead of myself. I haven't even started Yamaziko, but may bench her in favor of some of the plastic Ten Thunders Brothers I got during the Easter sale, as they are some of the models I am really dying to get cracking on, and because the seam in Yamaziko's robe is pretty unsightly and I am presently out of putty to work it out. I apologize for the mercurial nature of my attention. As far as personal lives go, mine has been rather difficult lately and this has been a real pleasure and sort of therapy to keep coming back to.

Another lovely side effect is I have been getting in a lot of games lately and my crews are actually painted.

• Like 2

Once again, I've left myself very little time to get any painitng in on a large scale.  The rest of the transparent Rasputina crew is calling to me, so I have been doing some thinking about how I'd like to paint the non-gamin/golem parts of this crew.

I finally got my corephee duet assembled and based.  The bases will be rough wood planking.  The models are magnetized so that I can transfer them from single mode into the duet.  I got the idea of cementing them to part of the base and magnetizing this from a recent post I saw on the forums, so once again, thanks for the idea, someone.  I found that if you buy a pack of assorted plasticards, the thickest sheet matches the thickness of some small rare earth magnets, maybe 1/16?  A 3 mm drill also makes a hole in the card perfect for gluing in these magnets.  The same cement I am using on the models also works on plasticard, so this all came together rather well.  Six days to paint!

large.Corephee_duet_WIP.jpg

• Like 1

My daughter is supposed to be born tomorrow. I thought I have to finish Grimwell today otherwise I won't have time to do it before the end of the month. So, what did I do? I started another mini... Some WIP on the steam trunk:

Steam%20WIP_zpskqv0mckb.jpg

Edit: Almost there with the trunk. I still need to do the highlights on the metallic parts and the base. There is also a rope somewhere there:

Steam%20WIP%202_zpsp5wehy5x.jpg

• Like 6

@Franchute - very nice work on the Trunk. I was in the same situation last year while working on my Iron Painter entries, my daughter was born May 16th ;)Life's been different since then with less time for hobby (now I paint mainly at night when the baby's asleep) but life's been definitely better :) Best of luck and I hope everything goes well for your family.

While working on Mr Graves I also painted this guy as the color scheme was similar. You can see more pictures here (the one with blue jacket had been painted earlier)

lawyer_zpsasovwlk3.jpg

• Like 7

@Franchute - I used VGC Livery Green mixed with darker shades of green and then with a little white in it. Also, the glowing medium I applied in the final stage added a little to the saturated look.

@RMK - nice job on these, I like the raw look, makes them appear even nastier

@prof_bycid - the base is from Micro Art Studio, it's cast in resin and the quality is excellent, can't recommend this company enough

Here is my April pledge for the painting challenge.  The nightmare Coryphee Duet at 14 SS.  This ended up being a real rush job---April has not been kind.  But, I should have time in May to present something a bit more, ..., presentable.

Cheers all!large.April2016_done_coryphee_duet.jpg

• Like 2

Here is my pledge for April. I did not manage to get any of the extra models done like I was hoping, but April turned out to be very personally difficult. 

Anyways, here they are. Not 100% happy with the Oiran, but it ain't bad for the first attempt at a pretty lady, and I really rushed the end of the month. Looking forward to doing the others, at least. Please forgive the bad lighting and blurry picture. My current setup makes taking pictures a chore. Loving everyone's work so far. 

IMG_20160501_151415.jpg

• Like 3