Scheme runners

Franchute

Scheme runners: what do you guys use?

I've played my first games trying to avoid marker-related schemes and when I exceptionally needed a minion to drop a marker I've relied on austringers only. This month, the guild hounds should come out and I was wondering if they would be a good purchase in a scheme-running context, but, this afternoon, I was looking at the orderlies sitting on my table and thought they are not that bad: they have the same Wk, they do not suffer from Pack mentality and actually cost less than a pair of hounds.

So, what are your preferences? What do you typically use as scheme runners? And, does your choice for scheme runners depend on the master you're playing?

I've used Orderlies a couple of times, I like them a lot better than hounds. I've had success with Watcher's, but I've shifted to Orderlies in the past few weeks and I've not regretted it in the least. They are slightly less mobile (Unimpeded vs. Flight) but they hit much harder, they're somewhat tougher, and they have potentially good utility.

EDIT: I've tried using Guild Guard, but they're too slow. Death Marshals can work in a pinch. An Austringer and a Pathfinder can get quite a bit done (Pathfinder summons/moves traps, Austringer forces the traps to interact). Guild Sergeants will be a good choice once they have models.

• Like 1

For me it depends on who is leading my force. If I've got mcmourning I can make anyone a pseudo-runner with injection. Or a nurse to get something slower moving model faster turn one to get into position.

Hunters can be good as they can secure a flank aswell as they are durable, or mounted guard. They don't have the free push but are fast and durable. Especially good in pairs.

Watchers to make the most of flight and especially with McCabe where he can reactivate and give nimble or Hoffman for the construct synergies. 

Guild hounds are solid in packs of 3 staying together without Luna or individually running if she's in the list.

I use Brutal Effigy as a scheme runner in a lot of my lists.  He's durable for a 4ss model, finish the job, and as he has no melee you want to keep him from getting engaged .

Havent tried orderlies, will have to give them a go. Death marshals could be good in that role, especially with  Unimpeded. They can box anything that gets too close and have a decent shoot attack once they're done dropping markers. And finish the job is a bonus. 

Austringers are my go to scheme runners. They can do their scheme running without leaving the deployment zone. Brutal Effigy is also often hanging around and running schemes, because he isn't much good for anything else besides healing your master.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Myyrä said:

Austringers are my go to scheme runners. They can do their scheme running without leaving the deployment zone. Brutal Effigy is also often hanging around and running schemes, because he isn't much good for anything else besides healing your master.

You make it sound like he`s a bit worthless but we all know he isn`t ;)

Brutal's above average, but fears other runners.

On the flip side, one of the big strengths of Death Marshals is the ability to beat most other scheme runners they encounter.

Austringers let more important models achieve schemes without affecting their ability to fulfill their primary role.

Watchers are probably the best traditional, fast, cheap, nothing better to do but drop markers model.

Hounds are pretty excellent in general, but complete absurd with McCabe.

I haven't gotten to really trying Orderlies outside of the starter games, but they certainly beat out Guards and Wastrels (and Stalkers to a degree) but I'm not sure they're good enough to match Watchers, which are sort of the gold standard for Guild in my mind.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your answers.

Now that we are two days from the Easter sale, I was wondering if soulstone miners would be great in a Hoffman crew. With The Enemy Down Below, a soulstone miner can get pretty far away at the end of turn 1. I personnaly dont play Hoffman, but I might at some point. What do you think about this idea?

Quite. I have been using steam arachnids for scheme runners just because I have three of them and only one watcher, and had arcanist assets upgrade already for other reasons. That, and once I did want a scheme runner with the ability to engage in melee to hold a position, and watchers don't have that.