Interested and lost

/dev/null

Hey everyone!

I'm very interested in Malifaux--the sculpts are beautiful. The master that I'm most interested in is Misaki.

Unfortunately I don't have much income to throw around getting models I think might make a good list. So I'm here to ask for help!

What do you y'all think I should get to start playing some Malifaux with a Misaki master?

Misaki's box is pretty good on its lonesome, but needs a ranged element. You could pick up the Katanaka Snipers box, which gives you two Snipers which are great ranged models and fit thematically with Misaki. Slotting 1-2 in (maybe having to drop something for the second), plus the cost of upgrades plus soulstone cache should get you all the way up to 50SS if necessary.

We could probably suggest more if we knew a more specific number for your budget, but I think Misaki box and Sniper box is an effective and the cheapest option.

• Like 1

Something worth considering is taking her as an Outcast- her minions are generally mercs, and outcasts have a great buff generic for mercenaries (I Pay Better), and they have Friekorps trappers, which fill about the same role (though obviously the faction has less of an asian theme, if that's why you like her).

Other options to consider if you want the Asian theme are:

Tengu: Excellent scheme runners, very cheap. Lets your Tokarage and other stuff worry about combat. Also can switch focus to keeping Misaki and Ototo healthy with handing out regeneration.

Samurai: Ranged element that happens to be potent in melee as well. Helps thresher enemy swarms with their Gatling Gun.

Lone Swordsman: Good melee that can run roughshod over a specific target with some setup.

It depends on where you order from and if you can get a discount, but I might rank it Snipers -> Tengu -> One of Samurai or Lone -> The other.

• Like 1

Katanaka Snipers and Yamaziko - she can hold Smoke and Shadows for your Torakage and is a great versatile model as well. Alternatively, you could look at the Lone Swordsman instead of the old lady to have more fighting power overall.

If your long term budget is low too, you may want to consider who your second master might be to get the best crossover in models each likes to bring.

Snipers are good all around models, just a little expensive as general scheme runners when we have Tengu or 10T Bros available.

Sensei Yu is amazing, though requires Shenlong's box set and Shang is not pretty good if used well.

Shadow Emissary is a nice cheap git'r done scheme runner.

Also you might want to simply get Misaki's box and play games at that points level to get a better idea or what you are wanting before buying more models.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, newsun said:

If your long term budget is low too, you may want to consider who your second master might be to get the best crossover in models each likes to bring.

Snipers are good all around models, just a little expensive as general scheme runners when we have Tengu or 10T Bros available.

Sensei Yu is amazing, though requires Shenlong's box set and Shang is not pretty good if used well.

Shadow Emissary is a nice cheap git'r done scheme runner.

Also you might want to simply get Misaki's box and play games at that points level to get a better idea or what you are wanting before buying more models.

You mean 'Shadow Effigy', right? :P
newsun has made a few good points. Playing with the SS you have right now is an especially good idea - you can find out what you need and what your playstyle is this way.

I recently started with Misaki as well.  You could just pick up her box and learn to play but after 2-3 games you will be wanting some more.  Snipers are great and I will again recommend them as others have.  Scheme runners are very important as you move into that phase of learning the game.  While Torakage can do them, they do combat better and are more expensive in points.  Because of that I'm going to recommend Tengu.  Now I myself did not go that route, I went with Yamaziko and Oiran as I was sucked into the Smoke and Shadow route.  For a new player I do not recommend it, I think in the 1 game I tried it I only used Shadow Stride once and didn't use Smoke Bombs at all.  There could be potential for some Starts and Schemes being able to teleport around the map, but that is for the more experienced player.  Now Oiran are pretty decent for stand in scheme runners.  More expensive than Tengu and not as fast but being disguised helps survivability and the WP Aura boost helps.  Last game Misaki was paralyzed by something that targeted WP and parking that Nurse next to her as well as popping Recalled Training having already flipped my Black Joke that turn really was a deterrent from having it cast on her again that turn.  But paying for 3 models and at this point only using 1 kinds sucks where with Tengu you will be using 2 fairly consistently.  Now a 2nd box is never bad and to optimize Misaki Sensei Yu is really good but a much cheaper box is Jakob Lynch, and the Illuminated are really solid and you also get access to a master that is on the other side of Misaki, where she specializes in agressiveness and close combat Lynch specializes in card manipulation, making his guys hit harder and support.  Though he will need a couple extras for him to run well specifically beckoners, depleted and maybe Graves.

Another nice thing about the Snipers is that they get to Reactivate if Misaki dies in LOS. She probably will when you're learning her.

The Wave 2 Box has an upgrade 'Smoke Grenade' that has helped me keep Ottoto alive. The Smoke & Shadows upgrade for Last Blossom is expensive to use. 

• Like 2

I also just started out, The Thunder being my first box as well. Samurai and Snipers sound good to me. Both of them have decent ranged and close combat attacks. Trying to get your hands on a Shenlong Box with a free Sniper might be a good idea. You don't really need two Snipers anyway and you'd get Sensei Yu, which is considered one of the best Henchman in 10T; some Monks that you can try plus another Master should you get tired of Misaki.

I would also like to mention that the Ten Thunder Brothers are likely to be released before the summer and they are amazing Scheme runners and all in all super versatile and fun. Very highly recommended once they hit the stores.

So I would get the Misaki box and the Snipers. Build, paint, and play with them and you should be good for two months at least. Then, there's a high chance that the TT Brothers are out and I can't praise them enough.

I would echo what others have said about Katanaka Snipers, they're great ranged damage dealers with a solid melee threat as well and from the shadows lets you put them pretty much where you want them. (Placing them directly into melee with enemy from the shadows models is particularly hilarious on occasion, since they're good in melee and most snipers aren't!). Also, getting reactivate when your master dies in LoS is handy with Misaki since she pretty much always dies after her rampage through the opposing crew.

Thunder archers are also a pretty solid buy if you want another ranged option, shorter ranged and lacking from the shadows, and utter garbage in melee but they make up for it with the ability to rapid fire, reading the wind, ignoring models when drawing LoS, giving out slow on a trigger, and being able to shoot into melee without randomizing is amazing for either softening up, or finishing off models Misaki has engaged.

Izamu is another good choice. He's a solid tanky beatstick with a huge melee range which makes him good at locking down areas of the board, and he's perfectly good at operating without any support from a master, which is pretty handy for a Misaki crew since she pretty much just does her own thing and leaves her crew to get on with it.

In general Misaki likes models that can operate pretty much independently of her while she runs off to carve her way through a chunk of the enemy's crew by herself.

When you start out with Misaki, I think you can do pretty well with something like this: 

Ten Thunders
50ss Crew

Misaki -- 4ss
 +Misdirection - 2ss 
 +Recalled Training / Cutpurse / Smoke and Shadows - 1ss
 +Stalking Bisento / Disgusie - 2ss

Shang - 3ss

Katanaka Sniper - 7ss

Katanaka Sniper - 7ss

Ototo - 10ss

Shadow Effigy - 4ss

Torakage - 6ss

Torakage - 6ss

So your initial purchase would then be Misaki's box, Shadow Effigy, and Katanaka Snipers. That is an allround list with who will do ok in most strategies. Its should get you started.

Then you will definitely want Ten Thunder Brother's once they hit the store; Johan is a great addition and a merc for all your coming crews; Temple of the Dawn box will give you Misaki's best friend forever Sensei Yu and another fun master Shenlong; Yamaziko is a good henchman for Misaki; Mr Graves is a solid beater who can also help Misaki move around. Hopefully the Emissaries will turn up soon too, and the Shadow Emissary is gold with with Misaki. If you can't wait, go and find a fitting dragon proxy (Bushido got a great one). 

A great tactica on all things Misaki: https://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/M2E+Misaki 

Some additional general notes: 

Risky Ventures is nice, but Misaki will need to prevent a lot still, and she loves high cards and have the ability to reflip initiative. 4-6 Soulstones is her mark. 

Misaki can kill things, but she is great at getting killed too. With the above crew in mind this means two things. Remember to keep Misaki in line of sight of the Snipers in order for them to get Reactive if she goes down. Since the above base crew lacks ways of moving Misaki, be sure to keep her safe and don't rush in with her heads on by herself. She needs some back up. If anything just to throw Misdirection unto your own models if things go south (Shang and Effigy is great targets for this).

• Like 1