Story Encounter Sets you like to see

LordZombie

So we got Transmortis, which got some bad press, then came the Crossroads Seven set and Brotherhood of the Rat, now we got the Creative Taxidermy. Great ideas for releasing models with some bonuses. I can't say I am the biggest fan of the new direction of the Story Encounters, but they are pretty cool. Biggest problem, this idea is a little late in the game. There are only about 17 models left to release and little within a faction to make a themed story encounter. So here is the question for my fellow Wyrdos, if you could see any themed story encounter set, what would you like to see? Maybe a release of older models with alt sculpts? Maybe one with duel faction models with alt faction sculpts?  Personally, I would love to see the Ten Thunder Bros in a set with that alt Ototo from the Chronicles. What can you come up with?

From the latest Chronicles it looks like Spawn Mother and Gupps will be one.  I'm not sure if there's anything else that can really take advantage of that kind of design though.  Most of these newer story encounter sets have been about bundling models with models they generate.  I'm not sure there's a whole lot of that left on the unreleased list outside of models generating pre-existing models like Anna does.

Can't say I really care about story encounters one way or another. I mean I'm a little annoyed that you can't buy Luther without Bowser, but then they might not have done him at all if they hadn't already been in the habit of doing story encounters.

Just curious though, the scenarios in the existing story encounters, are they about playing with the models in the sets or are they just scenarios vaguely in the theme of the models (a bit like the scenarios in Crossroads that follows the master stories)?

2 hours ago, Bengt said:

Can't say I really care about story encounters one way or another. I mean I'm a little annoyed that you can't buy Luther without Bowser, but then they might not have done him at all if they hadn't already been in the habit of doing story encounters.

Just curious though, the scenarios in the existing story encounters, are they about playing with the models in the sets or are they just scenarios vaguely in the theme of the models (a bit like the scenarios in Crossroads that follows the master stories)?

They all involve the models in the sets.

1 hour ago, doombladez said:

Out of curiosity, what about the University wasn't received well? I'm fairly new and haven't heard anything but good things about it? 

Lot of people didn't seem to like the Iron Zombies and not impressed with the encounters. Ask any Resser player and they will tell you only the Valedictorian is any good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LordZombie said:

Lot of people didn't seem to like the Iron Zombies and not impressed with the encounters. Ask any Resser player and they will tell you only the Valedictorian is any good. 

I thought the others were fairly popular as summons for Nicodem and Molly as you can get one that has bonuses against whatever your opponent is fielding.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Bengt said:

I thought the others were fairly popular as summons for Nicodem and Molly as you can get one that has bonuses against whatever your opponent is fielding.

I'm under the impression as well, and I have also used them with Nico and Molly. Student of Steel has been especially useful with that armor ignore.

When Transmortis came out, they were M2e Cards, before there was an M2E game. Then the students all went back into the playtest, and got improved.  So a lot of the early dislike about the set was due to the circumstanes at the time, and the un-errata'd stats that they had. 

Now they still seem to suffer "resser effect" which is they are worth summoning, but they wouldn't hire them. 

Personally I like the story encounters. I want to see more like the University and Crossroads 7, which aren't about filling out gaps in a line in a single SKU, but about adding something unique to the background of the game. I like the gap fillers as well due to the extra content - story encounters are fun. But I don't play pick up games at the shop, so asking my brother to run through a story encounter box is easier than convincing someone at a shop who might be in tournament prep mode wanting to only play gaining grounds.

For stuff I want to see more of - unique models with interesting rules. The Crossroads 7 added a band. I can't think of many other games that could pull off having a playable band as your force, but in the world of Malifaux, it works, because there's so much weird, wonderful and absurd things going on.

• Like 1

On 26 februari 2016 at 1:30 PM, Adran said:

Now they still seem to suffer "resser effect" which is they are worth summoning, but they wouldn't hire them. 

Everything over 5ss suffers from the resser effect. It's not that the models are bad but that the ressers are spoiled with very good summoners. ;) 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Everything over 5ss suffers from the resser effect. It's not that the models are bad but that the ressers are spoiled with very good summoners. ;) 

There's also those 5ss minions that probably should have been 7ss. You know the ones I'm talking about...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

There's also those 5ss minions that probably should have been 7ss. You know the ones I'm talking about...

Tell me about it! I don't even have the energy to complain about it anymore and and everyone who knows me know that whining is my absolute favourite thing to do :D 

Headhunter against ressers is such a pain...

• Like 2

On 2/26/2016 at 6:30 AM, Adran said:

When Transmortis came out, they were M2e Cards, before there was an M2E game. Then the students all went back into the playtest, and got improved.  So a lot of the early dislike about the set was due to the circumstanes at the time, and the un-errata'd stats that they had. 

4 hours ago, Ludvig said:

That makes more sense to me. Practically every time I hear people ask for recommendations on our subforum I hear the University get mentioned at least once, and honestly I've done it myself more than once, the Iron Zombies are fantastic summons, and since I play Nico I never hire anything I can summon anyway. 

But to get back on topic, my favorite Story Encounter is the Crossroads 7, who have everything I want out of a story encounter. They're thematic, they're cool, they appeal to more than one faction, and they wouldn't make sense anywhere else.