I Pay Better + Trappers: Great with who?

Pryokon

So, I've certainly looked at the power of 2 Freikorps Trappers with I Pay Better and it seems pretty good.  I want to try it out.  Where I'm at a loss is the question of what Master to use them with.  Certainly working out the pros and cons of each, but it hasn't been exactly determinative.

Von Schill: Cool extra bonuses if I'm within 6", but I'm not sure what else he adds to the package.

Viks: Some melee punch to back up the snipers would be cool.

Jack Daw: I think he needs all his upgrade slots.

Levi: Seems like he'd rather have undead and constructs.  This sort of setup is meant to counter things like this anyway (sniping waifs and such).

Tara: I've heard whisperings about a Tara Sniper list.  Any elaboration?

Misaki and Hamelin: Don't play them enough to know.

Can anyone weigh in?

I like Trappers with von Schill.  They probably don't get much from his Aura,  but it just seems a natural addition to him.  it works well with just about anything on the crew, and given he wants to be close to other Freikorps anyway...

Although these days I'm starting to like sending vS out on his own.

I pay better is just awesome.  Harass the master, or just take down a minion a turn.  Then there's the sheer board control trappers provide...

1 hour ago, Myyrä said:

I Pay Better is such a ridiculous upgrade that there is absolutely no reason not to take it with every Outcast master every time.

I can't fit it in my Viks, I feel like I need the other upgrades more...although maybe I should give it a crack.  Sure, it means that only Pokey Vik will be using it...but still.....yet another buff for Pokey Vik without using AP?

• 4 weeks later...

Unless I'm mistaken the upgrade specifies other merc models, I never take it on hannah due to her great top end damage and mediocre minimum damage. I want her to be able to use I pay better to drop 6/4bb on her activation.

I take it religiously on Hamelin since I run him with a lot of mercs (hannah, strongarm, aionus, trappers)

22 minutes ago, MMW-Kyle said:

Unless I'm mistaken the upgrade specifies other merc models, I never take it on hannah due to her great top end damage and mediocre minimum damage. I want her to be able to use I pay better to drop 6/4bb on her activation.

I take it religiously on Hamelin since I run him with a lot of mercs (hannah, strongarm, aionus, trappers)

The action says: Friendly mercs in :aura10...' which means she can benefit from this too. If the action said 'Other friendly mercs...' then she couldn't use it on herself.

Yeah... I Pay Better is pretty goddamn epic. Once I have about two mercs in the list, next I add I Pay Better, and then every non-merc choice needs to pass the "does it not care about focus? is it not roughly equivalent to a merc role?" test, because if the answer to both is no, I'll probably be taking more mercs

That's why I take another Henchman to carry it.

It's nice if you have an Obey master like Hamelin, or one that hands out fast like Tara, then you discard for focus, shoot, focus again, and then either obey for the last shot or have an extra AP from Fast.

6 hours ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

The worst thing about I Pay Better is that I've noticed I tend to hold von Schill back with it so I can keep my trapper in its aura.....and von Schill doesn't like to play conservatively :P 

If you like playing Von Schill a lot, you should consider putting it on Hannah instead.  Ht 3 on a 50mm base means her aura is higher and reaches farther.  She's also a lot more likely to be closer proximity to the Trapper(s) than Von Schill would, given how aggressive his playstyle tends to be, while Hannah is considerably slower.

On 3/5/2016 at 6:07 AM, CapnBloodbeard said:

Don't have her though :P

Seems like you know what model needs to go to the top of shopping the list the next time you are buying Malifaux.

Like several others have mentioned I almost always put I Pay Better on one of my Henchmen rather than my master. I play Levi a lot, and with his bouncing around so much I find he is out of position to maximize the bonus much of the time. Hannah or Rusty are usually carrying it for my crew.

20 hours ago, KrazyIvan said:

Seems like you know what model needs to go to the top of shopping the list the next time you are buying Malifaux.

Like several others have mentioned I almost always put I Pay Better on one of my Henchmen rather than my master. I play Levi a lot, and with his bouncing around so much I find he is out of position to maximize the bonus much of the time. Hannah or Rusty are usually carrying it for my crew.

Lol....every time I think about spending $35+ on a single model I just find myself thinking 'but for another $20 I can have an entire new crew'.........of course with a new crew comes a different set of models I need, so maybe I need to realise a new crew is a commitment of at least double the price tag...lol

For some reason I've never thought of I Pay Better on a Henchman.  Probably because my only Outcasts henchman is Taelor and I often don't bring her....but I am finding a newfound appreciation for her, I just usually find myself bringing other high cost models.  Well, I have the viks of course, but they're always maxed out with upgrades as it is.  Though something which can buff the viks without using any AP could be worth considering....  But I might try it on my librarian, given I'm going to try and give her a more 'stay out of fire' role (otherwise she always dies before doing anything useful).  That may keep her in range of the trapper too

I also have Alyce but I never run her.  No abominations.