GG 2016 implications for 10T

OneLittleThunder

Just a quick dumping ground for ideas on what the new Gaining Grounds changes might mean for our favorite faction.

My initial thoughts:

• Yamaziko's stock just went up. Now that all the schemes start revealed hidden (and may stay that way for a while), her Master Tactician action is potentially a big hand drain in any game.
  • Lynch with The Rising Sun is no longer an instant pick for Collect the Bounty. Even if he's not killed, Huggy gives up 3 bounty points when he goes to zero wounds.
  • Convict Labor is probably easier for most crews than Line in the Sand, but the interference possibilities actually make it harder for Sensei Yu.
  • Search the Ruins, on the other hand, is still eminently doable via Mighty Gust.
  • Show of Force might be slightly good for us overall; I feel like the Thunders tend to use a few more Upgrades on average than some other factions.

Other thoughts, anyone?

Neutralize the Leader is a bit rough for McCabe who only has 7 wounds and sometimes wants to tactically dismount for extra AP, though it is on a number so it will probably only come up every 12 games or so.  I like McCabe and Sensei Yu in pools where interacting with the opponent's models is a thing because of the pushes and reactivate/nimble and fast respectively.  I suppose Shen Long can be good support here too, though I've only yet had one game as him.

I especially like that there doesn't seem to be anything as ridiculous as McCabe's turn 1 Deliver the Message.  I would always autopick it with him, but it did feel like cheating.  The new minion-centric schemes also seem cool.  They really have to be mobile and durable, especially for Public Demonstration.  With our movement tricks and healing, we're in a fairly good position to support these as well as many of the other schemes that want to take us further into the opponent's half of the table.  McCabe kinda just got even better for me with nimble and reactivate.  I have a feeling I may be playing the Dawn Serpent some too finally.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OneLittleThunder said:

Yamaziko's stock just went up. Now that all the schemes start revealed (and may stay that way for a while), her Master Tactician action is potentially a big hand drain in any game.

I think you dun goofed.  :P

Beyond that.  I have woefully less experience in any sort of higher level play than I would like.  It was only this past year (Around the release of Shifting Loyalties) that I started playing games with more than simply the Thunders box set :wacko:.

I'm excited to play games with the new set though, assuming I can find players to indulge this great game :)

• Like 1

On 2016-01-23 at 5:11 AM, OneLittleThunder said:

I don't know about that; the Dismounted ability on the Dismounted McCabe card says, "This model counts as Lucas McCabe for Schemes." Given that Neutralize the Leader is a Scheme, I'd argue that that means Lucas McCabe has not left play...

Completely agree with this. It will be pretty easy to get the first vp for Neutralize (4 wounds), but the last two you will need to get him off the horse and kill him while standing (or make him Reactivate). 

• Like 1

Show of Force looks like a good fit, often your sending in a few enforcers / henchmen with some upgrades.

Yamaziko certainly seams much better now that everything starts hidden.

I would say that if you dismount it counts as leaving play but that might need an FAQ... 

Having checked with people who know what they are talking about it does not count.

I think that Izamu is going to be a Mark for Death god with his 3" engagement range.  He can mark a model and then still have 2 Ml 6 attacks with a 3/4/5 spread and a plus to damage.  That makes a good many things dead, and he makes cheating in higher damage so easy in a pinch- just make sure to prioritize the cards.

Misaki and Sensei Yu also look like a nice combo on show of Force as they can make the center of the board a dead zone for literally anything that tries to boast. 

I'm also valuing the hungering Darkness with Addict (which I never find myself taking cause I usually need my models to be more independent) and an Illuminated to help support mop up in Show of Force, though not against Ca attacks.  Similarly here, Promises on Sidir (who can't be moved by enemy abilities) is going to be just stellar for the scheme- yea, we have a synergistic bonus between all of our upgrades!

Wandering River Monks are going to be really good for Occupy Their Turf when they come out.

I really love bringing in a Jigoku Samurai against gremlins, and I feel he'll absolutely own them at Hunting party.  Though, I have terrible visions of facing an elite Gremlin crew with one solitary Bayou Gremlin taking a drunken nap in the backfield.

Yan Lo's lightning dance seems awesome with Mark for Death and all of these interact schemes with the 1" requirement.  Dancing activated models into Yin for the minus to cast and willpower duels and exhausting them with a 2 AP seems like a pretty cool use for Yin, as many players just use her to tarpit anyways.

30 minutes ago, valhallan42nd said:

McCabe seems the Show of Force king, no? I'm getting his filthy guild box for just that reason.

While McCabe's own upgrades on other models don't count towards the totals for Show of Force, I would say Promises seems like an upgrade that was designed for this scheme if it weren't made way before it, and Sidir is a pretty solid henchman with his sh 7 with the stutter fire trigger and a self heal.  I find McCabe as a really great support master for scenarios where multiple heavy beaters are clumped up, as may often be the case for show of force.  The possibility for 2 models in a turn to regenerate 2 from the Elixir of Life and McCabe having the option to heal them or beat face himself provides that edge in the attrition battle for his crew to come out on top.

It also just occurred to me that show of force will take on a whole other dimension in campaign games, especially as many upgrades are actual weapons.

23 hours ago, Yvarre said:

Sidir is a pretty solid henchman with his sh 7 with the stutter fire trigger and a self heal.  I find McCabe as a really great support master for scenarios where multiple heavy beaters are clumped up, as may often be the case for show of force.

Sidir's Empty the Magazine is great for clumped up and/or freshly Summoned enemies too.