brewmaster tips for 10t

izikial

hi ninja squad, I'm looking for some tips running brewie as a 10t, I read the wiki but its mostly grem focused.

dose 10t brewie still act as a 3" bubble of hate or dose he take on a new role?

any super good synergies?

and what dose a simple starting point for a list look like?

something That looks good to me is using ama, use swig and blind drunk conditions to counter her low mi, use obey for terrifying paralysis and then devour, or use brewis own 3 poison paralysis.

• Like 1

I'm starting testing on Brewie myself, so once I have some more games in I'll add in my experiences.

I def looked at the paralyze+ama thing as she can already eat people so well with her massive damage spread.

Things to consider - are you trying for actions that require masks? If so Tannen might be a good pick.

Performers look really solid with Brewie, as does Lust.

If running Fermented Monks+Yu, you can get a lot of reactivates pretty easily.

Past that I need games before I'll comment.

I've never played niether with or against Brewie, but Yin looks like a solid choice. Several Wp duels, and poison in her melé attack, seems like would work fine with Brewie mechanics. Also dawn serpent, for the +2 poison in his Ml7 action.

Oiran could be nice too, but performers seems to be much better for 1SS more.

Also, of course, Sensei yu and fermented river monks, as newsun said.

• Like 1

Copying with Disciple the (0) of Brewmaster, I don't recall the name right now, One for the road?, Yu can give Poison +2 to a Monk. Then Brewmaster does the same (or just attack the monk with his mele action), and the Monk already have the poison +4 to Reactivate.

And then with Brewie and Wesley, you could give reactivate to a second Monk

I still think that the poison and 3" aura style is a trap for brewmaster (not that I'm any expert or something). The bubble strategy falls apart as soon as you loose the initiative flip and you find yourself amongs an angry horde of enemies missing only 1 hp because of the lot of healing actions they had to make. And it will happen even with Trixie sometimes as gremlins. I prefer to hand out swill to the enemy and than beat him while he can't really defend against it.

That said I've yet to play him as TT but I think Yin is an awesome choise for brewie because of her wp attack and debuff. I would definately take 1 or 2 Komainus aswell since they will love attacking against the reduced Wp of the enemy (they also have a built in synergie if they stick around Yin)

Other model I would definately bring is a pathfinder. He and his traps are pretty fun by default but if you add in swill the enemy will stick around them for a long time and get attacked every time they fail a disengagement with - flip (since they ended a move action near the trap). There is a good chance they will get slow because of the Wk test with - flips, then if they go defensive to have normal flip for disengagement they can only (maybe) disengage that turn and end their activation.

I also eyed with the smoke grenade upgrade, for 1 ss it could add a lot to your group. Either put it on Brewie (if its allowed) because he can be easily killed from afar or put it on the Whiskey golem. You will have 2 models (him and Yin) with - flips against attacks (only ranged for the golem) so you can safely hide behind them while you advance to your position. If you get into melee range you can drop the upgrade to hide for a turn from shooters and possibly charges.

Recalled training is a super awesome upgrade, and since brewie isn't too upgrade heavy he can use it in a turn when he drew a bad hand but still has to activate first (Ca7 and + flips could balance out the enemy's better hand).

I'm not sure TT has any models with companion but swilling an enemy and chain activating a beater is always a nice killy combo.

Other than these models I'm not sure I would have any must includes. Master Yu or Lust is always a nice support/control piece. Dawn serpent could be fun but I think it is a little too expensive for what it is. You also cant upgrade it to help it perform better. If you want to use it for poison dispensing then Fingers is better at it (he also hands out 3 instead of 2 if you go the paralyze or performer way) and he gives a lot of utility/healing/slipperiness aswell. If you want ranged damage you also have cheaper and better options.

• Like 2

I just picked up Brewie, and I plan to run him in 10T. (Gremlins are cute and all, but, you know. Dragons > Pigs.)

I haven't had a chance to play him yet – got to custom base 'em first – but I've been considering what my core crew will be.

Without Trixie, I think it's going to be critical to use some AP control. Yin looks like she'll do a lot of amazing things for Brewie – she can almost ensure that you'll lock down that important piece with Brewie, she screens him nicely, she's hard to kill and she adds another layer of disengaging shenanigans to his bubble – but she also gives tomes to Komainu. That means they'll be auto-spotting Slow triggers; with their (0) teleport and Ml 6 vs. Wp, they should be able to chew through quite a bit of enemy AP.

While I'm hesitant to list-build more than that – I'm already some 28ish points in after accounting for cache and upgrades – I'll likely need some Df-targeting damage output. (I don't like to skew too hard.) The Illuminated feel like a natural fit – fast, self-sufficient and killy – and Katanaka Snipers seem strong, too, and can help hand out Slow in a pinch. Oh, yeah, and Yu, I guess. (Is there any 10T list he doesn't fit in?)

For a different take, Chiaki also looks promising, but she brings a different set of demands to the table. I'd probably still take a single Komainu with her, but I'd look around for a diff't bodyguard than Yin; I'd want someone that could screen Brewie and Chiaki both. (Sidir seems like a decent choice. It's where my impulses lead, anyway, and he brings a strong Df-targeting attack – and likes to fire into Slow models.)

I think fingers  with the drinking problem upgrade is much more necessary in 10 thunders. Because you may have to forgo the first turn and get beat up by a model or two before  activating, it is crucial to be able to heal up as efficiently as possible. Yin has also been an all star for me. I've only played about three or four games in 10 thunders as brewmaster, though.

Samurai are great with Brewmaser as he can Obey them to fire with all of their +++ flips without fear of hurting themselves (out of activation). Overall, they are a very fun model :P
Yin works great in many cases and can't wait to pair her with the Komainu (I like to think of her as the horrible visions you get from alcohol poisoning). I won't be getting Performers (probably :P) simply because it feels too dirty even for me (hehe). The Oiran are the budget version and can be fun if you are more interested in messing around then winning (and naturally drinking parties go well with ninja hookers). They go well with (0) Hidden Agenda - best put on a good shooter like Sidir, Lazarus (prefer Recalled Training here), Hans (why would you take him?). I opt for Fuhatsu with them - he can take RT in addition to HA and the model is hella fun (although he still mainly sucks :P).
Bringing a Pathfinder or two is a great idea (yet to try that out). The traps would be happy to snap their jaws at Swill-swooning drunks with --flips. The Slow does not hurt at all - a control oriented team is still control oriented.
So you are taking Brewmaster and Pathfinder(s)? Consider Mr. Tannen. He is also squishy, slow, and has a low-ish range debuff aura, and comes chat you up while you are drunk to offer shady business deals - thematic. But wait, there more! In this deal you get to give -2 to Wk+Cg, making the Clockwork Traps duel that much more annoying and card-draining (not that you don't drain cards already with Tannen's pay up to cheat aura AND Brewmaster's Binge). He can block SS use if lucky, can stop interacting in an area, and likes to hang around with the big, bad Mr. Graves - who is obviously bouncer who throws the customers out of the disco after they get too drunk.
If you take Sensei Yu, he goes well with Fermented River Monks as discussed. He has a unique playstyle available with Brewie - stack up on poison, yolo Drunken Fist master. Alternatively, if you stick to Wandering River, he could be useful to push and make key models Fast - like, say, the Whiskey Golem, or Lazarus! And Lazarus can also Assimilate the Golem's +df and melee action for a change. A Lazarus pushed into position, Fast and Autofiring with Recalled Training on is S.C.A.R.Y.

• Like 1

Also, had 1 game with Brewie so far, but Misdirection was pretty golden. Nobody even wanted to swing at him once he was in the middle of their crew.

Also, I wouldn't say that being second player is the end. If they have no Chain activations, they get to activate 1 model before the Drinking Contest goes up again. Maybe it walks somewhere else, maybe it swings at Brewie, maybe it hits someone else it can reach. For the first two you have a great Disengaging strike or soulstones, the last one is the problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArcticPangolin said:

Also, had 1 game with Brewie so far, but Misdirection was pretty golden. Nobody even wanted to swing at him once he was in the middle of their crew.

Also, I wouldn't say that being second player is the end. If they have no Chain activations, they get to activate 1 model before the Drinking Contest goes up again. Maybe it walks somewhere else, maybe it swings at Brewie, maybe it hits someone else it can reach. For the first two you have a great Disengaging strike or soulstones, the last one is the problem.

And even then that's only a problem until it just heals itself with On The House for double if they're Tri-Chi and you have the Drinking "Problem" upgrade.

• Like 1

It's the nekima's, Howard's, peacekeepers and the like that worry me if they go first while engaged w Brewie. If something can do 8+ damage in a single activation, you will find bruits activation will be primarily healing himself  with most all of his AP. With fingers, he can do this for brewmaster, at double the efficiency, and still allow brewmaster to debuff enemy models.

I played TT Brewie last year, and used him as my primary Master one tourney, but I have to admit I found him a steep learning curve.

The main thing I found was that he was helluva squishy. Misdirection was a must, and even then I often took Running Tab to give me access to Wesley (and Fingers).

I feel like he has two approaches, bubble and debuff. His favourite games are a mix of closed crew (eg Turf War, Protect Territory), focused killing (eg Vendetta) and interacts (eg Plant Explosive, Distract, Headhunter). He excels at picking one or two models, isolating and killing/neutralising them.

As those above have mentioned go to models are Yin (double the Obey to paralyze nastiness by adding Ama No Zako), Komainu, Performers, Tannen. I played against him one game where the Gremlin player used the Whiskey Golem as scheme runner (Ashes/Ama styles) and it was pretty brutal. I've tried the Fermented Monks a couple of times but I feel like they need too much babysitting in a crew that already relies on synergy.

• Like 1

On 20.1.2016 at 7:53 PM, izikial said:

I'm coming to terms with the 10 thunder brewmaster, 2 things

are 2 performers enough damage or should I take a beater

I'm struggling to get enough poison, especially if I'm not taking grems

Id say one Performer is more than enough. Dawn Serpent, as suggested, seems like a very solid choice for TT Brewmaster.

I've found that Brewie works best as a ranged debuffer when playing TT.  The drinking bubble just isn't reliable enough without Trixie.  You don't really need to focus on poison, since the debuff bubble is only 6".  If you can get a single hangover off on a priority target, your other models (such as the sniper) will have a much easier time wiping them away.

• Like 1

On 29/01/2016 at 7:07 AM, Lawgnome said:

I've found that Brewie works best as a ranged debuffer when playing TT.  The drinking bubble just isn't reliable enough without Trixie.  You don't really need to focus on poison, since the debuff bubble is only 6".  If you can get a single hangover off on a priority target, your other models (such as the sniper) will have a much easier time wiping them away.

I just really need to get Drinking Contest out of my system, I'm sure I'll come around to running him like this and close to no upgrades once I have had my share of learning experiences.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just started using Brewmaster in 10-Thunders, having literally just had my first game earlier this evening. :D It was 35SS and a loss vs Seamus, but I learnt alot about how Brewie works in the process. 

I already figured to stay away from relying on the drinking bubble but aside from that, I've concluded that it's really not worth spending 2SS on Running Tab to take Fingers or even Wesley in the crew. Fingers is amazing but not for effectively 12SS - 10-T have other ways to mess with scheme markers and heal models. As for Wesley, his role as a replacement Brewmaster feels less necessary when Brewie himself is unlikely to be in the front lines (most of the stuff you want to do with him has a 12" range). I think Wesley can be replaced with a Malifaux Child, who still has magical extension to copy whatever's on the Binge upgrade (I forget the name) and is much harder to kill off thanks to his Manipulative. 

As for what to fill his crew with, I'm still working that out. :)

• Like 1

I played a second game with Brewmaster last night (10T) and literally got crushed by Perdita. I goofed off and took a half-theme crew to have "fun": Brewie with Kegger and Binge, Wesley, Fingers, Whiskey Golem, 3xSamurai. Given that my opponent warned me he was playing seriously as we were supposed to train for a tournament, but still the game was a big letdown. I made some mistakes as well, but having very little offensive power to deal with Perdita herself caused me to lose a lot of points in models while I had to forego the strategy to deal with Francisco first, then her. It seems that with the Brewmaster you need to have a very strict idea of what you want to achieve, and to bring the best possible models after all. In addition:

On 23.02.2016 г. at 5:46 PM, Rathnard said:

I already figured to stay away from relying on the drinking bubble but aside from that, I've concluded that it's really not worth spending 2SS on Running Tab to take Fingers or even Wesley in the crew. Fingers is amazing but not for effectively 12SS - 10-T have other ways to mess with scheme markers and heal models. As for Wesley, his role as a replacement Brewmaster feels less necessary when Brewie himself is unlikely to be in the front lines (most of the stuff you want to do with him has a 12" range). I think Wesley can be replaced with a Malifaux Child, who still has magical extension to copy whatever's on the Binge upgrade (I forget the name) and is much harder to kill off thanks to his Manipulative. 

Fingers and the Whiskey Golem really do have decent alternatives in 10T. However it is still quite disappointing to feel that I am bound to lose if I bring the thematic models to the game. Maybe I should work more on getting hang of the Brewmaster himself, as well as Wesley and the Whiskey Golem that I absolutely MUST take :P I might try to get my hands on a Performer and see how she works in the crew, I also have to try many other options... I think there is still hope here.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have an excuse to take the Tri-Chi models in Ten Thunders but as it is right now, it's really not worth the cost. 

In other news, I managed a second game with Brewie last week - Extraction. Heeding my own advice (and IIRC), I went with the following;

Brewmaster w. Binge
Malifaux Child
Yin w. Smoke Grenades
Fermented River Monk
Wandering River Monk
Komainu
Komainu
Tengu
Performer

Brewmaster sadly met an early end at the top of Turn 2. After winning initative, Bishop managed to charge in and deal some decent damage to Brewmaster. Assuming that was all my opponent's crew could do to him for the moment I made the mistake of not activating him straight away (I charged him with my Fermented River Monk instead). The Judge then activated and used his Unrelenting Leader upgrade to attack Brewmaster another FOUR times (he got the trigger each time), sealing my poor Brewmaster's fate. 

Fortunately I did manage to claw back a win after that setback, thanks to denying him the strategy and evening out on schemes. But it was not a great demonstration of Brewmaster's abilities. :/

So lessons learn't from that game:

- Don't take Brewmaster without Misdirection!
- Wp-based attacks and negative conditions might be Brewmaster's thing, but you don't want to rely on it. The presence of a Witchling Stalker (for condition removal) and the Judge having Stubborn (for negatives to Wp-based attacks) made this a tough game for Brewie, even if he'd lived past the top of Turn 2!

15 hours ago, Rathnard said:

- Don't take Brewmaster without Misdirection!
- Wp-based attacks and negative conditions might be Brewmaster's thing, but you don't want to rely on it. The presence of a Witchling Stalker (for condition removal) and the Judge having Stubborn (for negatives to Wp-based attacks) made this a tough game for Brewie, even if he'd lived past the top of Turn 2!

It seems Guild is a rather difficult matchup for Brewmaster. Easy access to condition removal, nasty auras, soaring Wp buffs, blasty fires of annihilation... So I had an epiphany: In Ten Thunders as well as Gremlins Brewie has a wide access to very shooty models that can cover his squishiness from behind - or you could just stand next to them and Swill the smurf out of the opponent. Then Misdirect attacks if you get sniped/charged :P And Paralyze stuff to Devour with Ama no Zako, because she is too awesome not to be on the field.
The next list I thought of in TT is the following:
Brewmaster - 3 cache (gotta test those two upgrades more :P)
+Binge (1)
+Hold Their Hair Back (1)
Malifaux Child (3ss) (Just Like You! Underage drinking -_-)
Ama no Zako (9)
+Smoke Grenades (1) (Autopick is automatic B))
Fuhatsu (10)+Recalled Training (1)
Samurai x3 (24)
Really want to try to make Running Tab and The Good Stuff work, but they seem rather lackluster, and in the end I might find myself bringing no upgrades or only Misdirection if things go the way I they seem to be headed.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played Brewie, but have been doing the theory in my head (I'm aware this seems to be a popular start to comments in this thread) - something no one seems to have brought up so far (and apologies if I they have an I missed it): Sensei Yu can copy the drinking contest. Giving you two bubbles. Keep them close together to benefit from the WP ddebuf. As mentioned the problem seems that, without Trixie you are much less likely to win initiative, so Brewie must be able to take a punch, for which Misdiirection and a sacrificial Komainu or, if you have the stones, samarai should see you through.

What do you guys think about this:

Brewy w/ Misdirection, Running Tab

Yu w/ fermented river style, prob. Smoke Grenades

Wesley

Komainu

Spend the rest of your stones on fun stuff, keeping 6-7 stones cache (for Misdirection trigger)

Once the party is in full swing, Brewie activates first, ideal world hit's Yu twice to give him poison +4, obey's him to cast Stumble and Fall then starts the drinking contest. Everything around is probably going to be on [-] and -4 wp. Yu can then airburst enemy models to join the party, and start another drinking contest if you feel the need. Anything in the bubble is now needing to pass a wp12 duel at -4 wp and [-] flips TWICE if they want to do anything. It seems the consensus here is that drinking party Brewie in TT is not viable, but I think it could be even more devastating then in Gremlins. As long as you can survive one activation a turn.

Just a thought. 

9 hours ago, Skitt_Happens said:

I haven't played Brewie, but have been doing the theory in my head (I'm aware this seems to be a popular start to comments in this thread) - something no one seems to have brought up so far (and apologies if I they have an I missed it): Sensei Yu can copy the drinking contest. Giving you two bubbles. Keep them close together to benefit from the WP ddebuf. As mentioned the problem seems that, without Trixie you are much less likely to win initiative, so Brewie must be able to take a punch, for which Misdiirection and a sacrificial Komainu or, if you have the stones, samarai should see you through.

What do you guys think about this:

Brewy w/ Misdirection, Running Tab

Yu w/ fermented river style, prob. Smoke Grenades

Wesley

Komainu

Spend the rest of your stones on fun stuff, keeping 6-7 stones cache (for Misdirection trigger)

[EPIC COMBO HERE]

Just a thought. 

The combo sounds great, I intend to try this out some day as well. You only take Running Tab for Wesley, right? This is rather lackluster, even if this way you do get another life for Brewie - you should be fine for a turn or three with Misdirection and SS anyway. I would rather take Malifaux Child in this case instead. I would swap the Komainu for a Heaven Samurai - still a mobile platform, fast enough to keep up, Armor+2 so you can Misdirect and able to heal from Brewmaster's aura/can be obeyed to shoot out of activation. Overall pretty nice and has the 10T feel to it as well.