Trouble with Arcanist

Maliciousadvice

Strategy:
Reconnoitre
Scheme Pool:
Line in the sand     Bodyguard

Assassinate           Spring the Trap

Take Prisoner

My Opponent usually plays either Rasputina or Collette and im having a lot of trouble facing down his crews.

in a strat/scheme setup like this, he normally takes Raspy, gamin, Joss, Mech Rider and Support (effigy / arcane power totem)

I any other strat/scheme that is more marker heavy he takes collette.

what sorts of pandora crews would you run that cant stand up to the blast punishment, the summoning from mech rider, the power of joss to disrupt plans and the sheer power of the crew?

what about Lynch?

who is good for marker heavy schemes/ strats? i was thinking lucius

Lilith. She can stay out of LoS of Rasputina, then blip either Raspy back into the rest of the Neverborn crew where she is completely gimped (Rasputina is a helpless kitten in melee usually), or blip a big beater right into Raspy's engagement for a full round on her.

Nekima would also work well with flight, being able to fly from out of LoS to engage Rasputina and pin her down.

Rasputina has two downsides... she's slow and she hates being engaged. Use NB movement shenanigans and speed to get in her melee reach and it's all over. Use Lilith's forests to block her LoS until you get close enough. Raspy doesn't have enough move to easily clear them or get around them.

I have less input vs Colette though...

Chatty models help against Colette. Lilith is also good because you can pull Colette out of her showgirls and then start going on her. If you have the Crossroads 7 and you know you're going against Colette, Glutty would be good to take. He can remove scheme markers :pulse2 around an ally and force to push to any scheme marker that gets placed within 6" and LoS, which will cause them to take 2 damage and remove the scheme marker.

As an aside, Retributions Eye is never a bad pick up against an Arcanist crew.

As an aside, Retributions Eye is never a bad pick up against an Arcanist crew.

As anecdotal support for this, one of my recent games featured a Teddy with Retribution's Eye. It basically went like this:

Turn 1: Teddy kills a Watcher
Turn 2: Teddy kills Howard Langston
Turn 3: Teddy kills the Rail Golem
*opponent concedes*

All of the above was done completely unsupported by the rest of my crew - each model was otherwise unharmed, and simply made the mistake of getting too close to Teddy. Models that rely on Armor to survive, including all of the Arcanist constructs, should be very afraid of Retribution's Eye.

• Like 2

I agree...Lilith. Use her Beckon Malifaux forest to screw with your opponent's LoS. Hire Waldgeist to slow them down and to help control your quarters. Doppelganger can Interact when engaged (for spring the trap), Primordial Magic can run in at the last second for Spring the Trap also and help with card draw each turn. Hell, you can even hire a Performer if you own one as they are Mercs and use it to blow up enemy scheme markers (which is always a fun surprise for a Colette player to see them standing across the table from her). Take Prisoner I typically find easy to achieve, but I pick some off the wall targets sometimes that most people don't expect then either throw an odd punch/shot at them to wound them (but never with anything that can red joker kill them in one hit) and/or wait until the end to run up and engage them, preferably when their isolated, or else with someone who can push them away from their friends so as to score full points.

• Like 1

one thing you dont do against raspy is send in a lone beater to kill her or that beater dies. bring her to you with lilith (how many suits needed? raspy has counterspell) but never send anyone to raspy that you dont want to lose.

goes like this - send nekima (as also mentioned in your post) to raspy, raspy cheats in a tome, takes your hit, ends nekimas activation.

raspy uses armour of december to escape combat, paralises nekima, chain activates wendigo who eats nekima giving raspy fast next turn.

lilith can be really good against her due to LOS blocking shenanigans and speed etc so you can pick on the creature you want to, usually something already activated.

• Like 1

Angel Eyes and the new Blood Wretches  from the starter would be excellent choices to deal with Ice Gamin. Wretches ignore damage from pulses so they avoid explosive demise and Angel can finish the gamin off if they survive the charge. Plus wretches can be a great model to swap places for Lilith's tangle shadows.

goes like this - send nekima (as also mentioned in your post) to raspy, raspy cheats in a tome, takes your hit, ends nekimas activation.

raspy uses armour of december to escape combat, paralises nekima, chain activates wendigo who eats nekima giving raspy fast next turn.

This is where you need to look at Rasputina's upgrades. If she's running Shattered Mirror she won't have Armor of December and engaging her is a more viable option.