Obey and Focus

MrDeathTrout

Question

While controlling an enemy model using Obey can you spend the controlled models focuses while they perform the action?

Assuming the answer is yes can you spend Focused even if you take an action that has no flips (e.g. taking a walk action)?  

It seems like the answer is yes to me, but wanted to get confirmation since I can see an argument against both of these.  

Obey: Target non-Leader model immediately performs a (1) Action chosen and controlled by this model's controller...

Focused +1: This model may remove this Condition when declaring an Action to gain a number of  :+fate  to the Action's duel and damage flip equal to the value of the Focused Condition removed.

Won't be that often that someone has Focus during the opponent's activation, but when it happens....

Also when you are shot in the face of your master by your own henchman with a Vengeance Bullet.. It hurts and it's not nice. :(

• Like 1

Won't be that often that someone has Focus during the opponent's activation, but when it happens....

True. My son likes guild riflemen who can hold focus round-to-round.  I was hoping I could Obey one, use all his focus to shoot the one next to it.  :)  

Thanks for the responses everyone.

• Like 1

@DeathTrout. We cynics were picturing some poor 10 year old and a maniacally cackling father. I might just disregard your answer and keep living in my own world ;)

@Gideon: Why not? You get plus to the duel and damage flip of the action. In a walk the only possible duel is more or less horror. I guess you are talking about attacks and resulting targeting duels?

Hm... Does a model flip it's own damage for hazardous terrain? Cause spending an enemy model's focus and moving into hazardous with obey...

A Horror Duel triggered by an ability such as

Terrifying (Living) 10: Enemy Living models must pass a TN 10 Horror Duel if they end a Walk Action within this model’s engagement range or target this model with an Action.

isn't the Walk action's duel.  Just like a Horror Duel caused by targeting the Terrifying model with an attack action isn't the attack's duel.

Thus

Focused +1: This model may remove this Condition when declaring an Action to gain a number of + to the Action's duel and damage flip equal to the value of the Focused Condition removed.

doesn't apply to the Horror Duel.

You can still remove the Focused condition for no useful reason if you want to get rid of it.

The Terrifying check is considered part of the action so you can spend the Focus before declaring an action against a Terrifying target and use it on the Horror Duel because a Terrifying check is a simple duel (you just lose the benefits of the damage flip because it's not taking place),  Although if you do that I'm guessing it's spent and you can't not use it on the Terrifying and hold it over to the Attack?  So better to use it on a second attack?

Hazardous terrain is flipped by the enemy so no :+fate to that if you make them walk into Hazardous.

Good call on the walk Solkan.

As for attacks I guess that any targeting duels are not strictly speaking "the action's duel" but rather the terrifying abilities duel that just occurs during the action so I'm not even sure you could spend it on the terrifying/manipulstive etc. even if you wanted to.

Focused +1: This model may remove this Condition when declaring an Action to gain a number of  :+fate  to the Action's duel and damage flip equal to the value of the Focused Condition removed.

mmm, the condition explicity says that you can remove focus to gain :+fate to the action's duel and damage. So I assume that you can use (remove) it only if the action causes a duel and (and/or?) damage. A walk action doesn't do duel or causes damage. So IMO you can't use focus on a walk action.

PS: RAW the action on which you apply the focus must causes duel AND damages. But I can be wrong

• Like 1

The Terrifying check is considered part of the action so you can spend the Focus before declaring an action against a Terrifying target and use it on the Horror Duel because a Terrifying check is a simple duel (you just lose the benefits of the damage flip because it's not taking place),  Although if you do that I'm guessing it's spent and you can't not use it on the Terrifying and hold it over to the Attack?  So better to use it on a second attack?

Hazardous terrain is flipped by the enemy so no :+fate to that if you make them walk into Hazardous.

we had this come up in a recent tourney game and was ruled that you dont get to use the focus on the horror duel.