zGuild's Purposeful Misinterpretations: The Lucius Journey.

zFiend

Okay so the first three games with my own crew. Where as follows from what I recollect. 

1st game against Molly. I took Plant Explosives and Protect Territory, my opponent took Protect Territory and Plant explosives as well, we were playing Turf War. It was against Molly. I love Hidden Sniper in Plant Explosives. :D That much I can say! Dogs made a fairly well protected territory with one of them standing near the markers pretty much the entire game while the two others ran to interfere and work as roadblocks for the Molly crew. Izamu double walked and hit a Rifleman on turn 2, only to see the Red Joker flipped in the Rifleman's defense and missing the shot. Followed by a swift charge from a Death Marshal and spent the rest of the game in the comfortable Pinebox. Dashel kept Jaakuna Ubume at bay with Dampening Field. Apart from that my entire crew got utterly murderized. Game ended 10-9 to favor though. When my opponent only got 2 points from Plant Explosives.

My crew was: 

Lucius: Legalese, Secret Assets

Dashel: Dampening Field

Death Marshal

2x Riflemen

Sergeant

3x Dogs

Lawyer

Dogs performed really well, Riflemen did okay but I kept on shooting and shooting at Molly the entire game and she just didn't die. She died in the end when she went to do protect territory and Lucius Hidden Sniping her when she was at 1 wound. But pretty much the entire game I kept doing 1 damage to her wearing her down. Sergeant couldn't take anything, he just died instantly with his df4. Death Marshal was a king as they usually are keeping Izamu in the box from turn 2. Dashel only worked as a Focus beacon for the Riflemen until they died and then he tried to hit things not actually doing anything. Game ended with Dashel, Lucius and one dog alive. 

Game 2 Ironsides vs Lucius. 

My crew was if I recollect.

The Scribe

Dashel

2x Riflemen

2x Hunter

2x Dogs

Lawyer

We played Reconnoiter, I took Alits and Protect Territory. We called it quits at some point as time ran out but at that point the game was looking up to be 10-4 in my favor. My opponent in this game was a bit of the unexperienced ones so he just went for "kill the entire" crew mindset which cost him the game. Some thoughts, I managed to shoot down the Captain with the Riflemen that I used Lucius to rescue from Ironsides, she was in my crew on turn 1 and I couldn't get rid of her at all. She just kept all my models in there and kept healing and beating. Not much to say about this one as my opponent entirely forgot about his schemes etc. 

3rd game, Lucius vs Ironsides. 

This game I had

The Scribe

2x Riflemen

Dashel

2x Hunters

Lawyer

2x Dogs

We called the game at some point when my entire crew was pretty much killed and destroyed on turn 3ish. Game would have ended 10-5 against me. I got 3vp from Plant Explosives and 2 from Frame for Murder. What I learned was I can't do really anything against Ironsides. Against Armor that Arcanists are full of my entire crew is crippled to slapslap level of damage 1 pretty much all the time. At the end of the game my opponents words "Why would you use Lucius over McMourning or McCabe?" are still ringing in my ears. 

Some thoughts about the crew.

- I'm seriously struggling against Arcanists, my better minions Hunters are utterly fucked due to ca8 magnetize on summonable 4ss minions that are ridiculously tough to kill.

- Armor seriously hampers and hurts Lucius. As there is nothing to ignore it. 

- Secret Assets is absolutely amazing combined with what Lackeys are for and Plant Explosives in the pool. I ran a dog twice forward, Walked Lucius once, did a Commanding Presence, walked the Dog again in the right direction and within 10" of Lucius and What Lackeys are For'd Lucius with the dog and shot a Purposeful Strike. Amazing.

- The crew just crumbles away when they get in contact with the enemy. 

- I need to utilize Death Marshals more as that's the only way to get the big models out of the game. 

- Lawyers I'd like to like but they aren't really doing all that much in the end.

- Sergeant seriously can't take any heat. 

- Dogs are pretty cool. 

Also I need to find the balance between Henchmen and what Henchmen and Minions and what Minions. I keep on thinking and thinking is Dashel and his 0 action focus really that good at 9ss.. Could he be replaced with a Judge for example who would surely do more in the game. 

Also help me out, what to do against Armor? 

• Like 1

Guild Pathfinder ignores armor on a trigger, gives slow, can have focus for (0) and can be obeyed by Lucius.

This is the first thing that comes to mind.

Peaceleeper and Guardian also do the Explot Design Flaw

Executioniers autokill.

Also think about Ryle as Lucius gives him a bit of mobility and NOBODY wants to be in melee range of Ryle :D

• Like 2

Against Armor, if I don't have something that can easily take it out, I stick with Ronin (have since 1st Ed). Reliable, mobile, gets rid of damage reduction. Not sure how 'pure' you are looking to keep things. 

Hm.. Ronin you say? I have to read her card again. 

I'd like to Mirror Trikks suggestions except for the Guardian as a damage dealer. Min dmg 1 ignoring armour is still doing 1 dmg. 

I have used both the Peacekeeper and Pathfinder successfully. The Peacekeeper also gives some staying power, I hate when my whole crew melts away which happens a lot with Lucius. The pathfinder is very often targeted by the enemy missiles and dead turn 1 or early turn 2 but if you are a better strategist than me you might be able to keep him alive and he is really scary. I usually don't bother with keeping him near Dashel since the 0 focus conflicts with summoning Traps who can be used as SS for Lucius or mess with enemy charges and scheming. Instead I do 1 focused shot from Lucius ordering him and one from his own APs which can usually put a dent in stuff. Dashel also tends to get benched if you bring the Peacekeeper since you run out of stones far too fast.

• Like 1

Ignores Armor, 2/3/5 Damage, trigger to either Push or  :+fate damage flip. Also Hard to Kill and can't be targeted for a Charge. Only downside is Ml 5 on the attack.

A very big upside of Ronin is that they are minions with flurry. Lucius can easily put minions in melee range to flurry and give them   :+fate  to attack flips.

• Like 2

3rd game, Lucius vs Ironsides. 

This game I had

The Scribe

2x Riflemen

Dashel

2x Hunters

Lawyer

2x Dogs

We called the game at some point when my entire crew was pretty much killed and destroyed on turn 3ish. Game would have ended 10-5 against me. I got 3vp from Plant Explosives and 2 from Frame for Murder. What I learned was I can't do really anything against Ironsides. Against Armor that Arcanists are full of my entire crew is crippled to slapslap level of damage 1 pretty much all the time. At the end of the game my opponents words "Why would you use Lucius over McMourning or McCabe?" are still ringing in my ears.

You did hold out until turn four. But did you kill anything? The Rail Worker and a summoned Metal Gamin? And that was it, I think. Though you did get Joss pretty low on wounds. And did the nasty thing to Ironsides (triple Focus with a Lawyer to Paralyze her: ouch!). But yeah, I agree that Armor won me the game as you simply ran out of models while I didn't.

Just finished putting some paint on some models for tomorrow so you people can start pestering ZFiend about a report tomorrow evening.

My metal peacekeeper can take a beating, you just need to pin the legs and any arms you pose extremestyle. Judging from other plastic releases the peacekeeper will come in a gazillion bits and be a hassle. I eould look into cygnar or mercs from WM to proxy guild constructs. Wolsung

• Like 1

You should try Master Queek. Dismounted McCabe should be a decent proxy for him.

He benefits from Dashel's auras and can give Riflemen within them extra focus.

That.. Actually is a damn good idea! I have to read his card again. I completely forgot to even consider wave 3 models. :D