McMourning as Guild

jonahmaul

OK folks, I have recently branched out (and by branch out I mean I've bought every Guild boxset (except LJ but I have Dead Justice which is better!)) to Guild from my beloved Ressers and I'm wondering about running McMourning in Guild.  I know that it's often strat/scheme dependent but how do people find the good doctor in Guild?  Are there any particular tricks that work well?  I've read around the forums a bit and have seen synergies with the Judge and Exorcists but are there any other good ones?  How much of the Study Group do people take?  I'm thinking Nurses make Executioners a worthy edition to a Guild crew in a way they're not usually but do any of the rest make it in?  Are there any other models that are a must take?  I'm thinking Hounds might be more worthwhile than I've found them so far as even if they die McMourning can still make them drop scheme markers or take Interact Actions.  Any advice would be great.

Nurses should make the heavy hitters (hell any hitters) in the Guild even worse. Also you can heal away your own models without the Paralyze as Witchlings can take that away for you. Also they are a really good on their own.

Also.. We have sunk so low. Here we are. Two Rezzers in the Guild faction.

• Like 5

Also.. We have sunk so low. Here we are. Two Rezzers in the Guild faction.

Just ask yourself this: Is McMourning a Guildie infiltrating the Ressers or a Resser infiltrating the Guild? Pretty simple, really.

As for the actual topic, I don't think that McM has much in the way of synergies. The one with Judge is very incidental and the Exorcist isn't much better. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't use them, mind, just don't expend much energy to try and make the "synergy" work.

But the real selling point of McM is the Nurses. They are ridiculously fantastic in the Guild and can really solve many problems that the Guild have. All in all, with the Nurses, Guild McM is a very solid package that can work for any Strat.

Executioners - well, they aren't really all that good. Not terrible but compared to, e.g., Franc and The Judge, I know which I will be taking and how many models in that price range are you going to include in one crew?

The one model I was most surprised by during my Slow Grow antics with McM was Sebastian. He worked surprisingly well even with the limited amount of Poison on offer. He is durable and pretty cheap for what he does (which is, for the most part, stand around and watch enemies around him die during the End Phase).

We're definitely Ressers infiltrating Guild, we'll have the whole of Malifaux soon enough, mark my words!

I don't think I'd spend much making the synergy work (not sure whether I'd hire Exorcists tbh) but I tend to like having McMourning in the mix which means his Aura is going to be affecting people naturally (although I saw in your thread that it's no as advisable to get McMourning stuck in when playing Guild so he can support his troops more effectively).

Executioners do seem weak generally but I think when they're in combat they shine so anything that can get them there is going to be useful/.  Although I agree that they are up there in cost and Guild already have a lot of high cost options.

I think Seb works well in helping McMourning move around the board more quickly with 'That's the Stuff'.  Combined with his own poison Aura's I usually find him pretty effective and think he would be without the usual Transfusion load-out although see above regarding the competition for places in that mid-high cost SS bracket!

What else did you generally find yourself taking with the crew in Guild?  Any particular upgrades that stand out?

I pretty much always take evidence tampering. Something just feels wrong about playing McMourning and not having access to scalpel slingin'. and of course, I always take On the Clock.

I haven't played him in a good while, got a little focused on the 10T last year. but I used him quite a bit in the beta and even after release for quite a few games. I like the totem, I always run the little pup. even if all he does is his odor thing to poison a couple models then dies off.

I like running him with guild guards/riflemen/pathfinder... Basically anything that says "Guild" before the name. I think Lucious' box would be a good addition to a McmMourning crew. Though I don't know how Dashel works, but I know he likes guild guard models. so I don't see why he wouldn't fit.

Why Guild Guard models?

I like them. they don't really have any synergy with McMourning, but then again, none of the guild really do. They like his Nurse, but McM just goes off and does his own thing in my games.

I find that it's nice to have a lawyer around (has that ever been said before? I've never said that before..)

I like the riflemen in games from the past. though I'm still figuring out how many is the "sweet spot" I took all three the last time I tried it, I'm afraid to take just one. In those cases I take the Pathfinder, maybe toss in a few traps to build a bit of a sniper roost near the center of the table.

While I have not used Captain Dashell yet, but it looks like he just makes guild guard models better in general, so i'll have to try him out with a gunline.

I've never found much use for Scalpel Slingin', especially at the cost of 2SS.  With the pushes from That's the Stuff and his charge he can usually get around well enough without needing the 6" to push himself into BtB.

I am loving Pathfinders though.  I've taken one in every Guild game I've played so far (only half a dozen or so) and have yet to see a reason to drop them.  Half decent damage output and pretty versatile for the cost.

I've tried him once with a shock and awe tactic on Reckoning with Assasinate and Murder protege I think..

McM
Evidence Tampering, On the Clock, Plastic Surgery

Sebastian

Death marshal

2x Nurses

2x Executioners

Witchling stalker.

Can't remeber the exact ins and outs but the idea was to have a nurse give McM poison + 1 executioner the +walk then get carried by the death marshal. Then have the witchling stalker remove the + walk when needed on executioner. It ended up meaning McM and an executioner were in the enemies face (possibly in combat by end of turn one with movement shennanigans) with at least 1 scheme marker on the centre line (for bluffing purposes) and a nurse ready to drop out and heal/paralyze anyone who got in trouble.

Seb and other nurse generally went around doing their business, stalker removed conditions nurse was dishing out to friendlies and 2 executioners and McM did all the heavy lifting. Death marshal ran up the field, dropped off nurse behind those guys and buried anything dangerous.

That was the idea anyway...... Didn't work so well having no tomes in hand for 2 turns for the nurses.....

Take things in guild that ignore armor. I discovered a combo during the first round of open avatar beta, where Seamus' avatar used to do first dmg that ignored armor. I always have a nurse along with Seamus, so I started giving the enemies I wanted Seamus to attack a negative to all their duels, but they got armor. Unfortunately I ignored armor. It was so good I reported it to have it removed from the card.

You can tell I haven't played McMorning alot since m2e started as he has been able to do it all along. Trust me hitting something with that application of the nurse, and then just ignoring te downside to doing it is terribly powerful.

• Like 1

Take things in guild that ignore armor. I discovered a combo during the first round of open avatar beta, where Seamus' avatar used to do first dmg that ignored armor. I always have a nurse along with Seamus, so I started giving the enemies I wanted Seamus to attack a negative to all their duels, but they got armor. Unfortunately I ignored armor. It was so good I reported it to have it removed from the card.

You can tell I haven't played McMorning alot since m2e started as he has been able to do it all along. Trust me hitting something with that application of the nurse, and then just ignoring te downside to doing it is terribly powerful.

With Guild McM anything and everything can ignore Armor.

• Like 1

Lawyers with their Poison +2 on top of their already powerful debuffs are a thing. They make it into my resser list for a reason, and they aren't mentioned that much so far though. Kinda weird.

Well, because you can't create Flesh Constructs in Guild, there is no need to stack it up really high. Sure, it will do more damage, but sometimes you can kill people with only a 4/5 Expunge.

• Like 1