What about Samurai?

Zwergenkrieger

I like all three of them, but never all at once.

I typically take one in my crews, and take it's upgrade based on what I think my opponent it going to try to do from the scheme pool, or what I need them to do. I like the shooty one for holding ground with things like protect territory, and I like the quick one for general nonsense.

I may try taking all three one of these days just to see how they perform when they are together, but I don't really think I would want more than two.

I love having them around though. for sure.

Hi all,

I´m thinking about getting a box of Samurai to use in my McCabe crew simply due to the fact that they get a 0-cost upgrade and that should work well with promeses-upgrade. On the other hand Samurai are already at 8 SS and I´m wondering wether they are worth their points or not.

HTG

I just bought a set this am on evilsbay for promises and using +3 wounds with nimble.

they seem good on paper and in the magical world of theory crafting.

I only use the mini-Fuhatsu Jigoku but he's pretty solid, better in most cases than Fuhatsu. Opponents don't like seeing all those cards being flipped and he's hard to remove, plus being dangerous in close combat. I like sending him out to hold a position either by himself or with an offsider.

But if your opponent declares Outcasts, leave him in your case.

Using the Favor of Earth guy as a holding piece sounds interesting though, not certain about speedy Samurai over other options.

I only tried one game with two Samurai and it seemed a little dicey. One is pretty good though, usually run it with Jigoku upgrade, only tried the Earth upgrade once but it was also nice. They're really solid for the cost but the cost is just great enough that you only can really fit one in.

Let me know how it goes with McCabe, so far I've only really played them with Mei Feng + the Wind upgrade to get free pushes on them/Kang to make up for the lack of speed, but I can see how Badge of speed and the bonus from Promises would be awesome!

I usually use him with the McCabe but actually for the opposite reason!

Trying to keep everyone within your McBubble can be a bit of a trap (particularly in a terrain heavy board) so it's nice to have models that don't need support to operate at full capacity.

+ to Ml and WP is good but not game breaking, there is usually enough in the bubble getting that.

Having said that I can see how you might want to go that route, the downsides to the Samurai are its low movement and WP so propping those up makes sense.

Jigoki is the one I've only used, but it's a god send. Much better than Fuhatsu in my experience, you can actually rely on him and it's much easier to get that trigger working for you. The other 2 Samurai I tend to be more weary about and because we have other tanky and speedy options in the faction (solid gunbase not so much), but they will be an awesome tag team with an Obisidian Oni giving out some heals when the gun craps out on them.

But if your opponent declares Outcasts, leave him in your case.

Why do you say this? My opponent is running either Viks or Von Schill almost every single game I play and I don't have much of an issue. Is it more of a Hamlin/jackdaw thing, or something i'm not seeing perhaps?

Why do you say this? My opponent is running either Viks or Von Schill almost every single game I play and I don't have much of an issue. Is it more of a Hamlin/jackdaw thing, or something i'm not seeing perhaps?

I usually read declaring Outcasts as 'doesn't care about armour'. So many anti-armour options.

Surprised you don't find this facing the Viks but this is just my experience, been burnt a few times, could well be different with your meta.

Also, the fact that they dont have a (0) action makes chucking them McCabe's Strangemetal Shirt not too shabby either, a nice support piece to help your other models in a big scrum.

I've typically only gone with Jigoku as well, but want to try out Heaven for a wihle. I think I get used to be able to shoot at will and don't use the non-Jigoku Samurai properly.

I like all three of them, but never all at once.

I typically take one in my crews, and take it's upgrade based on what I think my opponent it going to try to do from the scheme pool, or what I need them to do. I like the shooty one for holding ground with things like protect territory, and I like the quick one for general nonsense.

I may try taking all three one of these days just to see how they perform when they are together, but I don't really think I would want more than two.

I love having them around though. for sure.

Man, I gotta stop reading your posts so I don't inadvertently start planning my crew against you ahead of time!

I do think ol' Hamelin has been feeling a big neglected ;-)

• Like 1

I really disliked these models until I ran a Earth samurai in a game recently. It performed pretty well and having nine wounds with armor 2 helped me feel more confident about getting it into position to do damage. The gun should really only be used on minion clearing as the damage isn't that high to justify the risk against something that has a greater chance of winning the duel (Henchmen/Masters). One thing that I was really surprised by was how useful Run Through could be in the right situation, I got out of a bad molly black blood trap by using that.