Movement - Severe Terrain and Rounding

Dirial

Question

So, in our playgroup, there is a disagreement and I'd like the honourable forum members' opinions:

When models move through Severe Terrain, each inch moved costs 2" of movement (p.61, big rulebook). When something is divided in Malifaux, the end result is rounded up to the nearest whole number (p. 29, big rulebook).

So, if a model with Wk 5 moves through severe terrain, can it move 3" (5/2, rounded up), 2,5" (those 2,5" costing 5" of movement), or 2" (4" of movement buy 2", the last inch cannot be spent because it doesn't buy a full inch)?

Thoughts?

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

Terrain Traits (page 74 Malifaux 2E - Rules Manual)

Severe - Areas of severe terrain slow a model’s movement. Moving through severe terrain costs double the distance moved. For instance, 1” of movement would be treated as 2” of movement.

Because it says "costs" it seems to me that you have to spend 2" of movement to move 1" through Severe Terrain, just like you have to spend AP first.

I would say that if each 1" costs 2" then reach 1/2" costs 1" so you can move 2.5". If you round then you should round up to 3" as that would be consistent with Malifaux rules. But there's nothing that explicitly prohibits 1/2" movements so 2.5" seems the correct way to play it and is how we play it in my play group

There's nothing in the rules to say you have to move in whole inches, and when you think about it such a rule would be very cumbersome indeed on a real table.

The key confusion seems to be coming from the way people are reading the rules for rounding. Keep in mind though that the rounding rules specify they apply when dividing a number, not multiplying it.

So you could move 0.5" through severe terrain, which is doubled to using 1" of movement.

• Like 3