Expanding McMourning?

Minijunkie

Hi folks,

I am still reading the rules and have not yet ever played a game (for context on where I'm coming from).

But I seem to be addicted to these Malifaux plastics. The models are SO good. A little "fiddly" at times, to assemble, but still. Awesome. That said, I just finished assembling Bodies of Evidence and I would say it's my favorite kit to build / aesthetically so far (I've build Pandora, Lilith, Rasputina and the Dreamer so far as well).

Question is what should I add to this, bearing in mind I want to stick with the plastics. I assume at least one box of Canine Remains (should I get two?). Anything else you'd recommend?

Yes you can buy them seperately: http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/39742/s/wyr20214/

Bête is ok. Ymmv with her. I don't like her much outside specific applications, others like her a great deal. She wouldn't top my to buy list on expanding Mcmorning.

Belles would top my list, followed by dogs, flesh constructs, an then punks.

I would never buy a Minion box if those Minions were included in a Crew box. The new sales model of Wyrd (only selling Masters in their boxes) and the great pricing of said crew boxes make them too good a deal. Also, Seamus is sooooooo much fun to play.

• Like 1

The dogs seem strange to me as well, but they are a fine purchase to have on the off chance you kill someone with poison rather than expunge. Additional Flesh Constructs are a must, as are Belles. And I agree that Belles should be purchased with Seamus; you're going to want him for variety anyway, and Assassination/Murder Protege runs with Seamus are easily done (1 ap for Back Alley, 1 ap for Focus, and 1 ap to punch a hole through a moose with that hand cannon of his).

You have success killing SS users with Seamus? I don't even bother trying to kill them because a smart opponent will just spend a SS on Defense the instant you focus to offset your positive twist to damage. It's far more efficient to use Seamus to kill as many things as possible with as little AP per model, and that usually requires focusing on models that don't have use SS.

I tend to just lock problematic SS users down with Belle Slows and Paralyze from my Nurse.

I mostly agree with Fetid. Ironically (or perhaps not), Seamus goes after weak targets for me. I would only take a shot at a SS user if no other target presented itself. Also, with his mediocre range, he opens up to counters if he goes after Masters.

Not that long ago, I saw Seamus take a shot at Samael Hopkins, who really is not one of the resilient Henchmen. Samael took 2 damage and countered with a very painful Rapid Fire. Thus, I cannot recommend that.

I will also be expanding into MM (already got a Crew from Ebay) and i would like to ask the more experienced MM Player how important they think Guild Autopsys are?
I havent played a single game so far, but just from reading the cards they seem super important to me.

-cheap, good for outactivating

-bring poison on the table

-ranged attacks / all attacks with inbuild poison

Yeah I've seen autopsies used to good effect as a starting minion in a mcmourning crew, they are also a good summon from spare parts as mcm dosent have much use for corpe counters and if you can get them reactivating with your flesh constructs then all the better (another use for belles is the card discard on lure, and also grave spirit is handy for the discard)

• Like 1

Guild autopsies definitely have their place (I've played a lot of games with McMourning although I would not in any way describe myself as experience. :) )

One of their main advantages is that they add range to an otherwise very melee-orientated crew. They're also quite cheap for what you get, and chuck out poison as an auto on all of their attacks. They can also be expunged quickly into a flesh construct, so a 4SS model and a (0) action can be converted into a 6SS model, although I've never been quite brave enough to do this in any of my games yet. 

The other great thing about having a Fleshie and a couple of Autopsies on your side is it pretty much forces your opponent to be playing a five card hand - they don't want to use their last card, else they end up facing three more activations with no ability to cheat anything.

I'd like to add them but will probably wait for plastics :)

Ah, I've already thought that through (because it might be a while until the plastics come out). I'm painting them up fairly healthy looking, so that when the plastics come out (which will most likely be a lot more zombie-like, if the Mindless and Flesh Constructs are anything to go by) they're going to double as Guild Guards (albeit ones that have been through the Good Doctor's office. :)

Guild autopsies definitely have their place (I've played a lot of games with McMourning although I would not in any way describe myself as experience. :) )

One of their main advantages is that they add range to an otherwise very melee-orientated crew. They're also quite cheap for what you get, and chuck out poison as an auto on all of their attacks. They can also be expunged quickly into a flesh construct, so a 4SS model and a (0) action can be converted into a 6SS model, although I've never been quite brave enough to do this in any of my games yet. 

The other great thing about having a Fleshie and a couple of Autopsies on your side is it pretty much forces your opponent to be playing a five card hand - they don't want to use their last card, else they end up facing three more activations with no ability to cheat anything.

They can not be expunged to flesh constructs, because you only get flesh constructs from enemy models.

They can also be expunged quickly into a flesh construct, so a 4SS model and a (0) action can be converted into a 6SS model, although I've never been quite brave enough to do this in any of my games yet.

The expunge trigger only works on enemy models, so no flesh construct upgrades.

Everything else is spot on.

Edit: Torakaged

• Like 4

Some other models to consider for McMourning crew:

Johan (or Johanna if you want plastic) - Nice merc beatstick but more importantly has condition removal which work well with nurses.

Chiaki - Yan Lo's support piece who heals and has the all important condition removal. She's cheaper than bringing in Johan as a merc.

Rafkin (metal only)- Technically he's Nico's assistant but has excellent synergies with Poison. As an Enforcer, he can be a candidate with the Transfusion upgrade. 

Guild Lawyer (plastic in the Lucius box)- Not just for Guild McMourning as they can be hired with Moonlighting. They can potentially hand out poison and buffing other models with Hard to Wound is quite useful.