Lenny

Math Mathonwy

If he is doing something else besides standing in the backlines giving Rami rams and summoning Piglets his Wp seems like a giant liability. At least in my meta almost all crews seem to include nasty tricks that are resisted with Willpower and, well, Lenny isn't very good at it. I mean, sure, he won't be paralyzed but he really is rather squishy for a model of his price. And due to his abilities he is a prime target.

Have you had luck with him in the frontlines?

Dear god yes. He's an auto include in most of my Ophelia builds. The big lug enhances mobility, survivability and damage just by standing there.

But he dies, or gets dominated, or buried, or is the originating point of three blasts or whatever? I mean, yeah, he's great if the enemy doesn't do anything to him, but since he is so great, they tend to do a lot to him.

Being dragged along behind (a glowy) Gracie seems to work for me

But that's 22 SS (IIRC, migth be 23) and amounts to a nigh unkillable pig that has an absolutely crazy damage track but Ml 5 - something with a good Df and Defensive Stance sounds like it would have a prime time stopping those 22 SS in their tracks? And even if not, that's 22 SS so it should damn well be amazingly good.

Solution for your troubles Math, kill them first. Should be easy with the free rams flying left and right. '...but it dies to removal' may be true but it does not invalidate the ten tonne pile of awesome Lenny brings to the table.

My problem is that I kill them first, mostly... that's why people don't like playing against my Ophelia :(

Don't forget his toss. I can't believe how good that ability is. Free 8" move for anyone, with no repercussions. He is really good (and if he is hanging back as support, he should be safe, unless you are facing a lot of shooting.

Oh aye, hanging back as support I see the utility, but then he seems like his there mostly for Rami. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm painting him at the moment, so I will see for myself soon enough, but he still looks extremely fragile on paper for such a costly model.

But that's 22 SS (IIRC, migth be 23) and amounts to a nigh unkillable pig that has an absolutely crazy damage track but Ml 5 - something with a good Df and Defensive Stance sounds like it would have a prime time stopping those 22 SS in their tracks? And even if not, that's 22 SS so it should damn well be amazingly good.

It is! If your opponent wants to deal with it they're probably going to have to use a similar amount of resources. Yes, high Def models are tricky but Wong can be hitting them, or Sammy can be immobilizing them, or Trixie can push them away, or Lenny can hit them, or...you get my point. The combo can't do everything, but to equal or lower Def models (which is the vast majority in the game) it's a wrecking ball.

And if your opponent avoids them, Gracie drags Lenny around while they both interact for start/schemes.

Rgarbonzo makes another good point, I've used it in Recon myself, chuck a spider onto the centre line so it doesn't count for quartes (and chuck a 2nd spider into the 1st so they both take a hit and don't count)

I wouldn't bother with Lenny so much for Rami, but Ophelia can be turned into even more of a murder machine. Have a look at Ophelia, Lenny, Gracie, Sammy and the Student of Conflict together. Turn 1 Ophelia can be about 21" across the board, still in Lenny's aura and with 4AP with  :+fate  :+fate  on the attack. 

As to the Gracie/Lenny freight truck of awesome: It is totally worth it. Lenny is fragile, but that isn't a bad thing when you take a Reactivating Gracie to the face every turn. Ml 6 4/6/8 damage track with four chances to hit, Unimpeded, Hard to Kill, Armor +3 (w/Lenny) and Eat Your Fill. The opponent should be able to kill with fire some part of that equation.

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus... Gracie/Lenny freight truck of awesome... I just won a Somer box at a tourney, I had decided against grems and went for ramos/arcanists with the first crew I bought... but read the arcanists faction forum... its pretty damn boring. "how do I deal with Killjoy" etc... no 21 inch 4 AP :+fate  :+fate  assassinations, no freight trucks of awesome, no wild seat of your pants win it all or die trying in one fell swoop strats... just "advance as a group / cast-summon / get schemes / win"... I'm so damn happy I'm starting grems now... and reading this forum is a hell of a lot more fun... 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

To return to the topic about Lenny's Willpower, what's the gameplan when the enemies force Horror duels or can control Lenny through Obey or Lure? He can't really stay out of the range of Lure and when he (forcibly) walks, he's taking his aura with him. Also, he can't really engage enemies like Bad Juju who will smash through Bayou Gremlins. 

I also didn't realise until reading this thread that you could Toss enemy models. I love Lenny even more now.  :D

To return to the topic about Lenny's Willpower, what's the gameplan when the enemies force Horror duels or can control Lenny through Obey or Lure? He can't really stay out of the range of Lure and when he (forcibly) walks, he's taking his aura with him. Also, he can't really engage enemies like Bad Juju who will smash through Bayou Gremlins. 

I also didn't realise until reading this thread that you could Toss enemy models. I love Lenny even more now.  :D

Lenny doesn't care about the horror duels since he's too dumb to realize he's paralyzed (thanks to Numbskull). Lure and Obey are his bane though. My general approach with Lenny is to provide larger threats that'd they'd want to prioritize first, if they leave them, well they usually just return the favor after Lenny bites the dust. Mostly through Gracie, Francios, Old Major, the Sow, War Pig, Glowy things like Killjoy or Lazarus, and stuff along those lines.

Have some terrifying big nasty coming towards your master or another important piece, no problem Lenny charges it, fails the terror tests, forgets to be afraid and holds it up a turn or two while still buffing everyone else.

This is why my Lenny is converted and being painted up as the Gremlin equivalent of Sloth from the Goonies....he's even carrying Chunk in one arm.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just getting into Gremlins.

I want to learn more about the Gracie/Lenny freight truck of awesome?

How is it pulled off?

Take Lenny and Gracie with the Saddle upgrade in a Wong crew and make Gracie glowy. She walks and drags Lenny around behind her, effectively giving her armour 3 (1 of which can't be ignored), min dmg 5 (as Lenny's :ram  :aura  will mean she always gets her =2 dmg trigger) ignoring Hard to Kill, Incorporeal and armour and Regen +1. She can give herself reactivate and if whatever you attacked is still standing, Lenny can attack it too

• 1 month later...

I love using Lenny to toss foward skeeters, with their awesome movement and flight they can get engaged and tie up enemies at long range. Even if they don't attack, their high Df often keeps them alive, and if they do have an activation left, they can use 'quit screwin' around!' to lessen chances of them dying.

This can help tie models/crews up, giving you more breathing space/time to be summoning more gremlins, pigs, and skeeters.

Lenny is awesome!

• Like 1

What I loved doing with Lenny is toss Ophelia 10" forward, walk 4" Companion Ophelia as she is within 6", Ooo, a girl Lenny into base contact and then shoot 3 times with Thinking Luck. I think Lenny is a great sculpt and he is so much fun on the table just for Toss. :D

Also it was super funny to throw the Dreamer around, which my opponent thought was quite harsh to throw an innocent child to a wall. :D 

• Like 6

My Ophelia core as of late has been

• Ophelia (dirty cheater) 
  • Francois (dirty cheater) 
  • Lenny 
  • Old Cranky

Lenny tosses Ophelia and Francois 8", then Ooh a Girl Lenny into ram-buff range. You can erase a model a turn no problem and get a SS a turn while also receiving  :+fate to defense and +1 WP to boot. If you're facing blasty crews, then throw in a Merris.

Knowing you can eliminate 3 flesh constructs on turn one if you have to is a nice feeling when facing Rezzers.