Malifaux Podcasts (a la Chain Attack)

to a large extent I agree with this - unlike warmahordes where "caster kill" is a defined goal, and you can work such a tactica about the methods and style a particular gang can employ to achieve it, malifaux is far too open for such a simple defined answer.

How I use a master will depend on who I take, what the strategy and scheme pools end up being, how the terrain looks, etc.

How I use a master will vary a lot, and will change based on the game conditions and the opponent I'm facing (the player not the crew he brings) - and tis assumes that the choice of master is the most important decision you make - and that is far from the case!

Doing, not listening, is by far the best teacher.

That said, I'm always up for talking about the Faux, and it may shape up well with the right structure.

I think you're underestimating the complexity of competetive warmahordes, which is what chain-attack deals with. Caster kill is almost always either a last resort to try and win a game you think you are losing or a result of one player making a mistake in positioning their caster.

Warmahordes games are usually won by scenario, and how to achieve those obviously vary a lot, both depending on the scenario used and on who (and what caster/faction) is across the table.

What the chain-attack guys do so well is explaining a particular game they played and giving examples of their thought processes during that game. They cover a lot of stuff that would simply not be listed in a tactica, namely specific examples of model placement, how terrain affected their decision making in that perticular game and match-ups and interactions between the models involved. Afterwards they talk more generally about the casters, also outside of the particular match-up and scenario.

I don't know if a malifaux podcast could be done in the same way because list-selection works much differently so just going through the different masters might not be the best format. Maybe doing factions might be a good start, and then looping around the different faction match-ups for different scheme pools. This might lead to some masters getting neglected due to the hosts personal preference though, but would probably lead to lots of useful tactical discussion.

Also I don't think anyone would disagree that experience is the best teacher for games like these, but it is nice having something related to listen to while you paint, at least that is what I use the chain-attack podcast for.

• Like 2

Joe and I have been doing some tactical reports lately on Cheatedfates Radio, we also have the +Flip which is 30minute discussion on masters. We have been busy the past month and not been able to sync up recording. However, we are recording tonight!!! 

Our topic today will be very tactically focused where we discuss card control. Of course we'll have our usual introductions and banter. Afterall Joe and I just like to chat.

• Like 3

Joe and I have been doing some tactical reports lately on Cheatedfates Radio, we also have the +Flip which is 30minute discussion on masters. We have been busy the past month and not been able to sync up recording. However, we are recording tonight!!! 

Our topic today will be very tactically focused where we discuss card control. Of course we'll have our usual introductions and banter. Afterall Joe and I just like to chat.

Would you mind throwing a link up of your podcasts? I've stopped using my iPod and am using android for my listening.

I have thought about shamelessly stealing the format from Chain Attack, but I tend to start a lot of projects and not finish them, so I have held off for now.  My version would focus on guild models, and instead of focusing on two masters an episode, I would pick a guild model, play with it all month, and for the episode do a report on my final game using that model (trying to make it at least a partial focal point of my force) and then give ratings in a similar manner, i.e. survivability, board control, killyness, syngergy, value, and fun factor.  It would be a given that I am but a beginner at Malifaux, so I'm sure people would disagree.

My main issues are that I would need to get a regular co-host who plays with me regularly to talk about what he saw too.

Wow!, just checking back in on this thread after a few days away. So glad this has started some real conversation around the topic. Thanks so much for everyone's comments and interest. I'm really looking forward to seeing what some of you guys come up with! Exciting!

I love Chain attack the podcast and it has one of the most interesting and unique styles in the podcast game. Essentially going over an actual battle report breaking it down and then rating the casters, match up, and sometimes even the players. We've been doing some tactically focused casting with our Cheated Fates Plus+flip and will continue to expand on it. I think its possible to do for Malifaux but while there isn't a real list chicken so to speak there is a list chicken going on at the faction level and determining what scheme your taking 

I've just listened to the BeatDown segment of the podcast, and although it's interesting to listen to and I enjoyed it, I would say that it was so specific to that particular game that other than the couple of synergies mentioned it is really only a tactica for if you're playing that exact set of strats and schemes with those factions. It's like you've said several times, Malifaux doesn't tend itself towards netlisting or auto-win models because it's just so nuanced it really just comes down to having the experience to be able to deal with the situations as they come up.

So I liked it, but I'm not sure how useful it is.

I've just listened to the BeatDown segment of the podcast, and although it's interesting to listen to and I enjoyed it, I would say that it was so specific to that particular game that other than the couple of synergies mentioned it is really only a tactica for if you're playing that exact set of strats and schemes with those factions. It's like you've said several times, Malifaux doesn't tend itself towards netlisting or auto-win models because it's just so nuanced it really just comes down to having the experience to be able to deal with the situations as they come up.

So I liked it, but I'm not sure how useful it is.

I'm going to disagree slightly on the useful-ness comments. Here is why.

While you are right that there are nuances which make every game different, the interesting discussion on the podcast is the thought process they describe for what they chose as models and why. I found myself pausing after they mentioned strat/schemes and building a list in my head, than hitting resume to see what they chose. Than pausing again once each 'declared' their crew. Than in my mind I thought about how I would approach the game against their crews.

I think this is the closest you're going to get to podcast tactica in Malifaux and honestly I think its great. 

• Like 2

Hey, thought i would throw in my position as a newcomer to faux.

While i see how people think that the cast was too specific given how malifaux works, i don't agree with it. They are basing their opinion on an individual cast i think after listening to a whole series our minds will start to pick up patterns as more variables come to pass (based on an educational purpose). and thus i fully support this ^^

Good info and rather calming voices to tune into for some after work painting. well done fellas ^^

Really liked the...THE BEATDOWN!!! Think the structure was spot on, and the segment was really interesting. I see the point that due to the way crews are selected in Malifaux it limits some of the depth but I still think ultimately it's useful to see the thinking behind the crew selection. 

1 suggestion I would make (if it's feasible) would be to have viewer suggested strat/scheme pools and faction choice, i.e. I would like to see strat x and scheme pool a,b,c,d and e played between Guild and Ressers. 

I like this :o a poll where the community chooses the faction scheme/strat then a little pre show talkin about what master they ultimately took and why they took each element of the crew into the 15 min malifaux and polished off with after game thoughts on their selections and in-game choices.

We may be askin alot there though ^^ have to respect people personal lives and time constraints but it is a wonderful idea :)

I really liked that segment (as Terry once said to an orange), and agree that while much of it was very specific as to the crews, schemes and strat, the whole point is to deconstruct the choices made and review the reasons for those, and it is that underlying methodology that is going to be of most assistance to the mid-level players.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the hell out of it. I especially liked when Joel was asking about crew selection and then asked about what scared each player about the other crew. I'd love to see more of this associated with the 15 Minute Malifaux YouTube videos.

Thanks to all involved, I hope to see more soon.

Loved this particular episode.  It's really great to hear how these guys think about their crews and such.  I liked how you took time around crew selection and how it relates to the strategies/schemes. Joel's questions were very good.  I would love to hear more about each specific master.  Malifools is my favourite podcast. Consistently interesting, entertaining and accurate - as far as knowing the rules of the game :) 

Thanks guys!

For those interested. Joe and I recorded an episode. Mostly covering a common topic as of late, but providing our own perspective on it, control hand tactics. I put up an official post also over here (http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/101751-cheated-fates-radio-hand-control-tactics-discussion/).

http://cheatedfatesradio.podbean.com/e/cheated-fates-radio-and-the-control-hand/

• 2 weeks later...

New to Malifaux and Malifaux Podcasts (but absorbing every one I come across). One I found that was simply wonderful as a new player was Malibites. There are only 10 though, and I wish to hell he'd made more on the rest of the masters as it was very nice to get a general idea of what they do.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested. Joe and I recorded an episode. Mostly covering a common topic as of late, but providing our own perspective on it, control hand tactics. I put up an official post also over here (http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/101751-cheated-fates-radio-hand-control-tactics-discussion/).

http://cheatedfatesradio.podbean.com/e/cheated-fates-radio-and-the-control-hand/

I really liked this discussion.  I hadn't put much thought into my hand before, and it was really interesting.

• Like 1