spwn Mother

Verdeloth

No matter how i look at this model it just end up as a "avreage" model and slightly underpowered as a henchman. With no really combination ability or effects and a 6crow egg ability that can summon grupps (very cheap models)

Df 6 and 8 wounds and no real other protection shes vurnable to.

I never tried her but i would guess that people would atleast have 3 egg before hatch (or try to make the most of her and sucide in and let her die so egg hatch)

Is it worth it ? At the moment i cant see

Picking spawn mother instead of anything else with same ss.

Or am i missing something here :) how does she really work in the field. Maybe shes a beast for the some schemes? Would like to hear how you veterans play her ^^

Edit: i guess nourish the young is a ok tactial (1ap) to add 2 range for charge for friendly models that stand within 6" of spawn mother. But still not something that would make me pick her before something else

A range attack on her would make me consider her

I have the exact same problem, and if you look a bit down the page you can even see a thread I made with the exact same thoughts ;)

I have still not tried her, but atm I plan to use her with Bad Juju, as a good way to insure some cheap minions Bad Juju can come out of.

This is the list I am thinking of taking;

Neverborn Crew - 50 - Scrap

Zoraida -- 4 Pool
 +Animal Shape [2]
 +Hex Bag [1]
 +Hexed Among You [1]

Bad Juju [8]
 +Eternal Fiend [2]
 +Fears Given Form [1]
Nurse [6]
Silurid [7]
Spawn Mother [9]
 +Fears Given Form [1]
Waldgeist [6]
Waldgeist [6]

Or as an alternative with Mctavish and burning for the voodoo doll instead:

Neverborn Crew - 50 - Scrap

Zoraida -- 6 Pool
 +Animal Shape [2]
 +Hex Bag [1]
 +Tarot Reading [2]

Bad Juju [8]
 +Eternal Fiend [2]
 +Fears Given Form [1]
Iggy [5]
 +Depression [1]
McTavish [10]
Spawn Mother [9]
 +Fears Given Form [1]
Waldgeist [6]

I wish Nesting Pool didn't say 'can't take this action if you took the Lay Eggs action this turn'.............Then Marcus could Alpha her to lay and hatch in the same turn.

Either way, I don't play NB, but I'm interested in testing a Swamp Fiend list with Marcus. I wish I could use the Bayou Gator with him.

is animal shape worth it ? 

i can really see it have a great potentional with fly down on models and use

the obey spell to its maximum potentional or use repulsive to push several models 

out of position.

its 2 ap life saver but for 2 ss its little expensive ? 

i see every list you post have it so just wonder :) im still green with her and will play much first

game tomorrow with her.

how is a normal opener for you with zoraida :)

deploy your swampmen in mittle close to (if squatters right) the middle scheme markers and prepear to tag

them in turn 2. create a doll with zoirana or fly in the middle to your swamp men ? 

i know every game is unieque but with every setup comes normaly a strategy behind them to :)

Well shes a sitting duck if she choose to spawn one gupp / turn.

Its not many non masters that have a summoning skill but i will try it out after i finish testing the other models that look more promising on paper.

You used spawn mother before and liked her godlyness?

I have - as a leader in an event this weekend. She did great.

Turn 1 - lay eggs, move.

Turn 2 - lay eggs, move and boost other models's charge

Turn 3 - create 2 gupps and lay eggs

Turn 4 - charge (attack, attack), lay eggs

Turn 5 - create 2 gupps, lay eggs

She didn't need to kill, just tie things up and supply me with 4 extra activations. Worked fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I've also not ran with her yet, but I've found her lackluster in theory.

I was pushing for a ranged attack and/or a ranged buff during beta, but it didn't happen.

She's on my list of things to buy because I like the model, but I'll be waiting until I've exhausted the other things I actually want to play with.

Maybe it was just the perfect situation when I had success with her:  Recon + Protect Territory + Breakthrough (I think; it's been a while...)

This is what I took:

Zoraida -- 7 Pool
 +Animal Shape
 +Hex Bag
 +Tarot Reading

8x Gupps
Spawn Mother
 +Fears Given Form

Maybe I went a bit crazy on this one, but dislodging Silent/Perfect Camouflage models is rough at the best of times.
  • Like 1

Marcus,

Jackolope

Sabertooth Cerberus

Spawn Mother

2 Silurids

Gupps

Leap-tastic crew. Great for deliver a message, stake a claim, and just general movement shenanniggans.

When your silurids  and Cerberus are able to charge somethign 19" away on the first turn, it really pegs back your opponent. And she also moved forward and laid an egg.

Marcus also likes a 10 " charge.

I've tried her once and had trouble making good use of her. I feel like she really needs to be in a list with some other big targets to buy her time to do her thing.

It does feel like trying to get more use out of Nourish the Young - to boost your other models - is a big key. The main issue with that is simply speed and positioning. Her Wk isn't bad... but she doesn't have unimpeded, despite it being pretty common on other Swampfiends. (Presumably less for balance reasons, and more because they just ran out of space on the front of the card.) She also tends to be a bit of a card or Soulstone drain in order to power her Gupp generation.

Overall, I definitely feel like you could build a list around her. But... you kinda need to do so. Compared to other Neverborn Henchmen, who are often very effective in just about any role, the Spawn Mother is really only a good fit in certain lists.

She's a durable Summoner with team buffs and a decent melee attack!

She's bad at Theoryfaux. So if you're playing Theoryfaux, don't hire her.

But her Summoning ability is quite solid, especially in a Henchman-led game.

Her melee attack is decent, and a little better if you take the Protect the Young Upgrade. The free Charges can be nice, since you're likely to hire a lot of Swampfiends.

The nice thing is that Gupps are Significant Minions, which means that those extra Summons can mean VP for the right Strategies.

She lacks healing and a ranged attack. Fortunately, she has some synergy with McTavish, who has a great ranged attack and is often really good for Neverborn Crews.

For healing, you can add a Wicked Doll or two (which is nice because she can make attacks outside her Activation and use the buff Condition too) or Coppelius if you're playing Neverborn.

• Like 2

See, I've actually found it to be the opposite! On paper, she seems like an easy buy - you are just about guaranteed to get back your cost in Gupps with just 2 turns of laying eggs.

But in practice, 9 SS is a non-trivial investment for a model that isn't actually good at anything - who isn't especially durable and has a lackluster attack. Which, again, isn't unreasonable, since she is bringing you free models - just a little disappointing to see in the field.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that most people feel that she is over priced or that there are better choices to be made for the stone cost and I would disagree. I have used her in quite a few games actually and I found that in combat she does okay. By far she is not a power house like Bad Ju Ju, andshe lacks the speed of a slurid, however I found that she shines in  two different ways.  The first is a no brainer swamp fiend Gupp generator for Bad Ju Ju to use for re-spawning and additional activation's. The second is that she has the ability to place scheme markers while laying eggs and making your opponent think twice about killing her especially turn two or later if you haven't hatched any eggs yet. These two abilities fill a role nicely in a swamp fiend heavy list.