Perdita the Killer

vilow

Illuminated can walk 10" and have a 2" melee range. They can engage a model that was 12" from them. They can't attack it that turn, but they do stop it from shooting.

Beckoners can move models outside of their activation, either yours forward, or theses towards you. They also can walk 5 and attack something 10" away and give it brilliance.

The Hungering Darkness can walk 12" and then attack 3" if you've given it casting expert. So it can engage Perdita or Sonnia, and be in a position they can't hit him back without moving.

Not direct solutions, but you should probably only face at most 1.5 turns of a models shooting.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it but you could also try depleted they can move 13 inches and with hard to kill, hard to wound and 8 wounds they make a very good tar pit model they only cost 4 stones and they get positives to disengaging strikes and even put out damage when killed

• 1 month later...

I'm just going tell you that Perdita is almost OP.  For beginning players she is amazing to play and frustrating as hell to play against.  The same goes for Viktorias, Van Schill, and Rasputina.  They all four have pretty obvious strengths and synergies out of the box and you can play to those strengths with little effort.  I've only really been playing since ME2 launch and I still hate playing against all four of them.

Out of the box, this is a really crappy match up for Lynch.  He's a trixy master with some melee heavy power, but little answer to movement and ranged heavy opponents.  He's also just a really tough master to learn as your first.  So, unfortunately, you're climbing up a hill to start with.

Having said that, Lynch has some really cool options but he does lack some great ranged help.  Pick up some Depleted and some Beckoners, and look for some ranged assistance in Ten Thunders or Mercs.  The Neverborn don't have a lot of great generic ranged options, but the Stitched Together are a good idea if you're determined to stay NB.  I use them pretty reguarlly with both Zoraida and Dreamer to help set up some defenses, drain the opponent of cards, and hit them with a heavy ranged attack (if I've got the cards to cheat).  After that you'll have some buffer, but against the Ortegas you're going to have to work really hard for your kills.  I've won half of the Perdita fights I've been in, but none of them were easy fights.  They took blood, sweat, tears, and some lucky draws.  I would be a happier man if I never had to face her again.

One last thing to consider, is to just not play against bad matchups or unforgiving players at first.  I know it sounds like being whinny, but there are players I won't play against if it's not in a tournament.  And there are masters I request to not play against if I'm testing some ideas or trying a new crew.  There's an art to introducing new players to any game, but most minis players get lost in the competitive side and revel in the oppurtunity to curbstomb the new kid because they can.  I was lucky to have two really great people be my introduction to the game and to have three friends who were starting the game at the same time.  Look for players you actually like hanging out with and play with them.

Terrain, terrain, terrain. If a crew is able to straight up blow an opponent off the table with little worry is a table that has not got enough terrain. I leant this the hard way when playing Lynch vs Perdita towards the end of Wave 1. I basically got shot off the board by Turn 3 and had beer seen anything like it in about a year of Malifaux. I believe that using proper levels and amount of terrain would have balanced the game much more, and not resulted in such a horrific defeat.

I find that a lot of LGSs have *just* about adequate terrain for a large-scale game such as 40k and WM/H. Very rarely is there enough to satisfy the requirements of a skirmish-level game such as this. Skirmish games are regularly won or lost on the boards they are played on, so invest in some more terrain and you'll find the game starts to balance itself out accordingly.

- Valtyr

but most minis players get lost in the competitive side and revel in the oppurtunity to curbstomb the new kid because they can.  

Wow. There must be some real jack-offs by you. There are six of us at my LGS that have been playing for at least a year (and a couple since Mali first came out).........and not one of us would intentionally crush a newcomer 'because we can'.

• Like 2

Lots of good suggestions here.  One thing I dealt with as a Dita player in a game last week was Teddy which was a pain in the ass.  And thinking about it, a lot of Pandora's schtick as well would cause the same thing.  My opponent parked Teddy in melee with a couple of my models and then just grinned at me when I started looking to Obey my own models.  He was more than happy to let me fail a Wp duel within reach of Teddy's Feed on Fear (?) ability.  I can see this also really playing out with some Pandora Sorrow/Poltergeist action.  This isn't to say that Obey is the game breaking ability to worry about in an Ortega crew but when 3 of their themed models (Dita, Enslaved Neph, and Abuela) have it, it does hamper their tactical options.

I'll self-promote and link to my short guide about taking on ranged crews:

Guide

If someone hasn't seen it yet, I have compiled some of the typical advice, from this thread and others. It can also be found on PullMyFinger in an adapted form by Mister Shine.

Wow. There must be some real jack-offs by you. There are six of us at my LGS that have been playing for at least a year (and a couple since Mali first came out).........and not one of us would intentionally crush a newcomer 'because we can'.

That's what I thought, too. Who would do such a thing?

• Like 1

That's what I thought, too. Who would do such a thing?

One of the first stores I played at regularly had posted at various intervals around the store signs which read "Thou Shalt Not Thrash the Newbies." The kind of person that signed was aimed at are fortunately not all THAT common... but unfortunately they aren't really rare either.  

I am really bad about beating up on new players.  I don't do it on purpose, but once I start playing I have a really hard time dialing it back.  (Its a problem in board games too, where I am a big fan, and have a bad habit of curb stomping my loved ones when I play with them.)  Its not like I do it on purpose, but I really don't know how to not take the (as I see it) optimal move without it being obvious.

I am really bad about beating up on new players.  I don't do it on purpose, but once I start playing I have a really hard time dialing it back.  (Its a problem in board games too, where I am a big fan, and have a bad habit of curb stomping my loved ones when I play with them.)  Its not like I do it on purpose, but I really don't know how to not take the (as I see it) optimal move without it being obvious.

This is a bit of a sidetrack, but the best way I have found to do this is first ask the person if they want to play a regular game or if they would like to play a teaching game where you talk through the moves you are making, why you are making them, and what your probable counter to what they are doing would be. You are still playing at full speed, but also cluing them in to what you are doing, why you are doing it, and why what they are about to do would be a bad idea. 

Some new players are happy to just go ahead and take their lumps as the fastest way to learn, but over the years I've found the above is one of the best ways for a brand-new player to get something meaningful out of a game against a veteran without the veteran just throwing the game. 

$0.02 from a Malifaux rookie and WMH/WH40k veteran. :)

• Like 2

This is a bit of a sidetrack, but the best way I have found to do this is first ask the person if they want to play a regular game or if they would like to play a teaching game where you talk through the moves you are making, why you are making them, and what your probable counter to what they are doing would be. You are still playing at full speed, but also cluing them in to what you are doing, why you are doing it, and why what they are about to do would be a bad idea. 

Some new players are happy to just go ahead and take their lumps as the fastest way to learn, but over the years I've found the above is one of the best ways for a brand-new player to get something meaningful out of a game against a veteran without the veteran just throwing the game. 

$0.02 from a Malifaux rookie and WMH/WH40k veteran. :)

I am very much like you in this respect. I tend to get the Red Rage descend and I put on my concrete shoes for some curb stompy goodness (certain Masters really bring it out of me more than others). I will play however I see fit because I'm not going to throw the game deliberately, unlike you where you explain your moves and why. I instead advise my opponent on the options they have available to them after I have made my move and let them make up their own mind. Often this is advice on how to counter my last move, how to set up something of their own, how best to achieve points for any schemes etc. This way they understand that they have multiple options, what these options can do for them and what the consequences of these options are. They can then make an informed decision based on how they want to play, they can chose to listen to my advise or make a different play and do their own thing. Either way they will learn from my advise or their own mistakes. 

I find this works really well, in fact when I gave my fiancee a beginner game for the first time she very nearly slaughtered me with Misaki, in the end it was a draw but it was an incredibly fun game and she relished in the thought of nearly kicking my butt on her first game. Since then she switched over to Lady J and only asks for advise when she feels she needs it or I've pushed her into a corner and shes struggling to get out of it. On my first demo game my Henchman let me win (although at the time I didn't realize this) and there are certain benefits in doing this and allowing people to win because it gets them excited about the game but it took me a while to actually win against others because I hadn't learnt anything for myself. 

I think either Bodiless' or my way of teaching work really well but I certainly wouldn't use Perdita in a beginner game, I'd play against her but not with. She tends to bring on the aforementioned Red Rage  :D

That's also a really good way MD. 

Great info as I've been trying to get more players interested in my area and thinking of running for the Henchman program. I also kinda dislike throwing the game on purpose I do realize it's point and that I did in a demo game some weeks back, completely threw the game (Lynch in charge range with Justice on turn 2 with 2x 13's including the ram, 1x 12 of ram's and the Red joker in hand, I walked away etc) what I got from it was mouthing off how easy Lynch (I borrowed him) is to play and how I lost straight away and all that, so next two times I took Perdita and Sonnia and didn't hold back, ended up in me not allowed to play those Masters in a while, so yeah, Red Rage was it? :D 

• Like 1

Wow, how long did you farm that hand?

However, all of the ranged crews tend to be hard on beginners. They punish positioning mistakes, bad terrain and cautious play, which are all typical beginner mistakes. Better to give them to the beginner or just play two melee crews and dish it out. B)

I pulled an extremely lucky hand and spent a stone for cards on beginning of turn 2 and discarded 2 and a 4 for a 13 and Red Joker. That was propably one of the best hands I've had and I didn't use any of them, when I play a "real" game like last night my last turn hand was 8,7,7,7,6,4 :D 

My opening hand last game was 1 2 2 3 5 Black Joker.  

I have not demoed Malifaux more than a couple of times as I am still a new player myself. I have done a lot of Warmachine battlebox games which I think is similar enough to draw comparisons. I have only won one - the opponent was very unlucky as well as being one of those gamers who never seems to get it & he still left my caster on one box. I am not sure how I do it but I can play sub-optimally without it being too obvious, possibly as it's so complex. Poor target selection, aggressive warcaster play & "forgetting" to use important abilities like feats. I had to throw the last one a bit obviously as my opponent was playing a bad box & is the last 40k hold out at my club so was being a little sulky.

Malifaux is probably easier to deliberately mess up by just not scoring points when you can & hammering irrelevant models, as well as sub-optimal action choices.

I walked away etc) what I got from it was mouthing off how easy Lynch (I borrowed him) is to play and how I lost straight away and all that, so next two times I took Perdita and Sonnia and didn't hold back, ended up in me not allowed to play those Masters in a while, so yeah, Red Rage was it? :D

Yeah, I've had games like that happen in this situation too. Not often, but I still remember the kid who started running his mouth about how he nearly beat me in a game of 40k where I was teaching him to play.  :rolleyes: At that point I reasoned another sort of lesson was in order, so we set the board up again and I tabled him on turn 3. There are limits to the whole 'thou shalt not thrash the newbies' thing, and I figured I owed it to any of his future opponents to instill a little humility. ;)

• Like 2

Yeah, I've had games like that happen in this situation too. Not often, but I still remember the kid who started running his mouth about how he nearly beat me in a game of 40k where I was teaching him to play.  :rolleyes: At that point I reasoned another sort of lesson was in order, so we set the board up again and I tabled him on turn 3. There are limits to the whole 'thou shalt not thrash the newbies' thing, and I figured I owed it to any of his future opponents to instill a little humility. ;)

Sometimes even noobs have it coming ;)

Heh. It's a fair point, although I think if we look far enough back in the thread we might find it was your hand on the fatal switch that sent us all careening off the tracks. ;)

haha.......maaaaayyyyybe..........but I choose to blame Dirial........it can't possibly be my fault

........or ZFiend.......yeah, he's always causing trouble.

:)

• Like 1