Interference or increasing head counts

Franchute

Hello,

I'm not a Ten Thunders player, but I have this question for another player: what is your common approaches to Interference and reccoinnoter?

I've heard about Mei Fang, Toshiro and the pork, who can summon komainus with the scrap markers the pork generates.

Being a summoner, I guess Asami may be another option. However, I understand that her summons may disappear quickly because of the flicker condition. Is this an issue?

What would be your other approaches for this type of strats?

Thanks

We don't approach those strats. We sit in a corner and cry a bit until the next game is up. 

For real though, those strats for me are just desperately trying to get near 8 activations and pumping the murder machine up to 11. I personally prefer Lynch for the free Hugster (and in general, really), though if the schemes ask for it Mei or McCabe will do. And at that point it's just hyperaggressive posturing while occasionally sending in something big to whittle down their numbers. 

I do not like reconnoiter.

• Like 4

My general go-to is McCabe with four guild hounds. You get some nice cheap fast models who can try to win you corners. And then what Adran says, hit people with pushes. Get Sensei Yu out late in the turn, perhaps nimble with the Badge of Speed, and have him push two enemies out of position.

Different models than Tokapondora, but same mindset. You can't fort up against summoners in interference and expect to win. Run up, practice some indiscriminate murder and pray you're on the winning end of things.

I suppose it's bit of an uphill battle but I don't mind.

If the deployment zones are favourable (i.e. Close or Flank) then TT have some great Masters to make a mess of the summmoner's day. 

Use Wings of Wind. That 3" push at the end of the turn really screws with the opponents counting of table quarters contested. I was able to hold off Hamelin with Shen Long thanks to this upgrade (and the Hamelin player struggling to summon enough rats) 

Interference is a killy-strat. If you want to outnumber your enemy, what is the best, most surefire way to do this? Kill them all. This is obviously a lot to ask against Molly or Kirai or Nico, but it still has to be your goal. Focus on the master; all of the best summoners (I'll include The Dreamer here, too) are quite difficult to kill, but far from impossible. Besides, killing them isn't even the primary goal. The goal is to limit how much they summon and that can be done by pressuring them from turn 1 onward. Katanaka Snipers are basically impossible to hide from, and Yasunori (especially with help from Asami, Shenlong, McCabe, Sensei Yu, and the Emissary) is ALSO impossible to hide from and hits like a dang truck. If Nico is using cards to make you miss attacks, or if he is burning stones to prevent damage, you are winning. Kill the enablers (Phillip and the Nanny, the vulture, etc) and pressure the master. Then just kill kill kill and you'll do fine.

• Like 1

It depends on the master you are playing. If you play McCabe, you can bring an Austringer to make him discard 2 cards if your attack hits (I prefer this to doing damage most of the time). With Yu or the emissary, you can give him a push and make him fast, so he can attack up to 3 times. Especially on some weak model that your opponent might not care about, this can be a lot of fun and shuts down summoning quite good.

Apart from that, you can go as far as Shenlong Sniper Spam (Shenlong, 2 Peasants, 2 Katanaka Sniper) and fire away at the master or anything they summon. You have 4 shots at 28" with :+fate:+fate to hit and :+fate damage, that will drain your opponents hand quite nicely.

In another approach, Hungering Darkness (or any other model with 3" :melee) is fine for this. Ten thunders have a lot of pushes, so you can either push enemy models so they don't count, or you can just engage them coming to the same result.

On 6/8/2017 at 11:12 AM, Franchute said:

Thanks all. Given that you suggest weakening the opponent summoner, do you have preferred ways to burn their hand? Summoners typically need their high cards to summon.

Oh, another option is Yin. Give Nico or whoever a :-fate on all Wp and Ca duels makes it a lot harder for them to do anything. At a minimum, it eats up their AP to focus first.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One thing we do extremely well is AP manipulation in general.  Chiaki with her slow upgrade can potentially neuter 4 models in a turn by making them slow. Shenlong and Yu can push and slow models fairly easily. 

Yan Lo is actually pretty solid because you can lightning dance models out of position.

Lust can totally wreck placement.

McCabe hound spam is always a good idea.

If i'm playing against rezzers I am probably bringing Misaki... not only does she have blasts (which incorporeal hates), but she has a high WP and a high Ml to make sure her abilities are getting off. Against low Df rezzers, she is a blender, even with Hard to Wound. Drop on misdirection, servant of the five dragons and stalking bisento. Stalk their key components, get pushed and fasted by Yu and go forth and murder. She's Df6/Wp8 with a deflect trigger.  Unless you're careless in positioning, she's going to make your opponent very unhappy.

Brewmaster is good actually. Obeys, negative flips, and he's a great lockdown piece that can decimate your opponents ability to score.

Yokai... 5pts. Hit well above their weight. INCREDIBLY mobile. And they place right before scoring, allowing denial or allowing you to score. They aren't rare either.  And yes... they do flicker out... but that's flicker 5 if you hire.  That means that unless you spend the flicker on something, they are there the whole game. And they have a trigger to gain more flicker. 

Asami with 3 yokai hired. Then have her 0" place and summon in 3 more yokai (if you can) turn 1.  You can absolutely have a 8-9 model crew starting that still has plenty of hitting power, and end of turn one you have 11-12 activations. Seriously, these guys are work horses. 

Edited by InvokeChaos
MIS-REMEMBERED RULE

1 hour ago, InvokeChaos said:

not only does she have blasts (which incorporeal hates)

How so? Misaki's blast attack is ml so her 2/3/5 effectively turns into 1/2/3 against incorporeal models. Doesn't strike me as particularly anti-incorporeal.

Cool writeup but that bit seemed odd to me.

27 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

How so? Misaki's blast attack is ml so her 2/3/5 effectively turns into 1/2/3 against incorporeal models. Doesn't strike me as particularly anti-incorporeal.

Cool writeup but that bit seemed odd to me.

Gosh darnit, I keep doing that.  When I was taught this game I was told that blasts don't inherit the damage "type" and thus bypass incorp.  I never really played a blast master that wasn't casts so I keep forgetting that when thinking of Misaki. I was educated later, but it was fairly recent. :P 

Will amend!

• 2 weeks later...

Lynch or asami is my options. 

Asami has some summoning, but the sunmons flicker makes them better engaging and denying rather than just holding a quarter.

Lynch, his crew kills things dead and Huggy is kind of summon. 

Other crews should give big jake a look. I have used him a lot with Misaki in TT. Very much worth 6ss.