Nekima question

Hi,

I've been playing Malifaux for a while. I am definitely driven by the Neverborn lore, so I usually play Lilith or The Dreamer as masters. I love this game, playing and painting the awesome minis.

I thought I knew everything about Neverborn when my daughter came with the killer question:

(she was drawing Nekima) -Why is Nekima wearing a brazilian bikini??

So... Why the feared tyrant of Malifaux, ruler of the Neverborn is wearing a brazilian bikini????

Please Wyrd guys, help. My Neverborn universe was shot to pieces in 2 seconds by a teenager

• Like 1

Why her sculpt went from battle bikini in metal to flimsy bikini in plastic, I don't know. But there's a humorous aside...

"Great. The Neverborn have learned to use human pants technology. We're doomed."

...in the midst of a discussion about an alternate Nekima sculpt soon to be released, we know not through which channels, and how the human factions have an overwhelming preponderance of pants-wearers (the Guild narrowly edging out Outcasts for fewest models wearing skirts).

• Like 1

Seems i was out of the loop on this one, it is interesting for sure.

Imho, nephilim don't really care for clothing...it's suitable to them for their purposes (especially the mimics or dopplegangers...or Lilith). I am not sure what Nekima is doing with a trench...but i mostly wonder who designed and produced the clothes, maybe the widoweaver has a sideline job after all.

P.S. if there's a new model on the way, i hope she'll be sizeable this time.

• Like 4

@Sybaris There is. it was shown at adepticon. She's not as big as the old Nekima, but she's bigger than the current plastic. I'm curious how she's going to be released. A $150/$300 incentive on Black Friday would irritate me, as it took me a long time to get Barbaros. Part of a Nightmare crew would be amazing.

876621_sm-.JPG

• Like 4

If this is a 50mm base, it's -much- larger than her 2E version, and while not as tall/wide, she looks meatier and bulkier (the flaw in the M1E version was that she was so thin)...so this is great news. Goes with the fluff, goes with the Ht3 tag.

Given they chose this new artwork to put on the website, and not her current mini version, i'd wager it might be more accessible than a 300/150 incentive. Correct this if i am wrong, but this would be the only alternate art model on the website?

I like this, alot. My only constructive criticism is the sword which looks strange at that angle, but that's real easy to convert...if it is my only nitpick, i'll be more than happy to get this (after so many years lol).

• Like 1

The sword I assumed was going with the 'living blade' angle with all the veins.

But a sword blade swap is a fairly simple conversion if it's not your cup of tea.

Im one of the few that likes the current plastic Nekima but this is much nicer.

About the art,it could have just been a little tease by Wyrd, like the Shasta Vidiya in the digital rules manual. I can't see them phasing out the current 2E model nor carrying both as regular stock, so I'm still thinking it's an alt.

• Like 1

You're probably right, seeing as Kaeris and Perdita are showing alternate art on the site. Then let's hope it's accessible.

oh about the current model, i like it...it's just too small to portray Nekima as depicted in the stories imho. If it had been sold as an alternate barbaros (or even lilith with wings), i'd have 0 problems with it.

44 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

In the metal line every master had an alt for general sale. I had thought this would be generally available, will keep hoping.

That was the metal line. There's plenty of alts in the plastic line, including for some masters - the aforementioned Kaeris and Perdita, as well as alts with different names like Nicodem, McMourning, and even the vintage line. There's plenty of alts for various henchmen and Enforcers as well. There's a huge quantity of alts, not even considering Miss and Nightmare models, in the plastic range now. Far more than the metal range ever had.

None of them are general sale alongside the standard model, with the exception of the Tortoise and the Hare, which is a very different type of release. I really don't see Nekima being different.

Not to be a downer. The fact that this model is being made, I'm assuming in some capacity due to the fan outcry over the plastic, is very positive. But I just feel holding on to hope that it'll be general release will just lead to disappointment when we finally get the miniature, since there's no real precedent for it to happen with the plastic range. Unless, of course, she's a Twisted Alternate.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cohenthebarbarian said:

Hi,

I've been playing Malifaux for a while. I am definitely driven by the Neverborn lore, so I usually play Lilith or The Dreamer as masters. I love this game, playing and painting the awesome minis.

I thought I knew everything about Neverborn when my daughter came with the killer question:

So... Why the feared tyrant of Malifaux, ruler of the Neverborn is wearing a brazilian bikini????

Please Wyrd guys, help. My Neverborn universe was shot to pieces in 2 seconds by a teenager

So you didn't know that all famous female demons wearing bikini?? :D

Lum-540x462.jpg

• Like 2

On 2017-5-28 at 0:37 AM, -Loki- said:

@Sybaris There is. it was shown at adepticon. She's not as big as the old Nekima, but she's bigger than the current plastic. I'm curious how she's going to be released. A $150/$300 incentive on Black Friday would irritate me, as it took me a long time to get Barbaros. Part of a Nightmare crew would be amazing.

I thought they said they were phasing out the "incentive" levels for models as they are not going to be selling pre-release sets then anymore.  Doesn't help work out how to buy, but I doubt it would be that high a re required spend (if a required spend at all)

2 hours ago, Adran said:

I thought they said they were phasing out the "incentive" levels for models as they are not going to be selling pre-release sets then anymore.  Doesn't help work out how to buy, but I doubt it would be that high a re required spend (if a required spend at all)

I didn't see that, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. They might just go like the alt Titania and outright sell new alts at each sale.

32 minutes ago, -Loki- said:

I didn't see that, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. They might just go like the alt Titania and outright sell new alts at each sale.

I believe that this is the post in question, though it doesn't outright say that they will be eliminating "incentive levels" as such (but it seems somewhat likely)

• Like 1

Upon further inspection, while there are masters represented by an alternate art on the website, the new portion of the bios containing henchmen, enforcers and minions don't seem to contain any alternate or "gender-switch" special edition artwork, and i certainly understand why as to to avoid confusion when buying the models. The masters articles were already there and the alternate models are mostly a different pose of the same character. In addition the master's article contain more artwork and even a picture of the boxed sets. Nekima's art revamp is a major change in appearance and one couldn't associate it with the current model.

This makes me think that there is a slight possibility that the new nekima replaces the old altogether...and i hope this is the case obviously. They could even continue to sell the current Nekima as an alternate Barbaros...it's already at 25$ :) ...How about Barbarella for a name? (goggle that if it doesn't ring a bell).

I'm still of the opinion that the art was put there as a tease, like the Shasta Vidiya in the digital rules manual.

Not only is there no precedent for an alt being sold alongside the plastic version (again, outside of the Twisted Alternate set, but that's a very different type of release), there's no precedent of Wyrd retiring a plastic kit. They spend a lot of money on getting plastic molds made. 

Really all signs point to this simply being an LE alt model.

Of course the odds are on your side, but my wishful thinking is still an attractive theory, at least to me.  I'd even go so far as to hazard a guess that this "simple" alt model might end up being more popular than the regular one...just saying.

I actually like the clothing more come to think of it. It puts Nekima more into the malifaux world...in the sense that a winged female demon with a bikini is quite common in other fantasy worlds. Dressed like that, she looks more like a Nephilim and more like Lilith at the same time.

The alt being more popular than the general release model wouldn't be surprising at all, and again, has historically happened and Wyrd has not increased the supply to cover the demand.

I can think of several alts that are far more popular than their general release - Barbaros, Bishop, Hannah (though to be fair, she was specifically stated to be limited to the kickstarter). Then there's the Bayou Gremlin, which is often called the 5th Bayou Gremlin, which is very popular amongst Gremlin players to increase the variety of sculpts in So'mer summoning lists, and the Performer which is very popular because Performers are good Mercs that fit a lot of lists and if you get it you don't need Collettes entire box.

Again, I'm not trying to be a downer. Just going by historical release practices in their plastic range. Getting ones hopes up is a sure fire way to be disappointed, and this isn't a model we should be disappointed at getting.

On 5/27/2017 at 0:43 PM, cohenthebarbarian said:

Hi,

From a design perspective, this was meant to tie the plastic nekima to the original nephilim, the tots, young, and mature are pretty much just wearing loincloths. If you're talking the metal original, I think it was because the nephilim were a fantasy world transplant out of a D&D monster manual, back when malifaux's asthetic felt like a game of smash-up.

If you're talking in universe reasons, nekima would gladly run around naked and covered in blood rather than wear the clothing of those disgusting human vermin. She looks down her nose at her sister and I assume barbaros for wearing human clothing and armor. But she still has her modesty so a tasteful two piece is in order, also it keeps her from getting too chilly when she flies.

Of course there's an argument to be made for her using her sexuality to intimidate and project her femininity. Nothing says, "I'm the true mother of monsters!" quite like bearing your hips and breasts like a sword wielding venus of willendorf.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sharp_GT said:

Of course there's an argument to be made for her using her sexuality to intimidate and project her femininity. Nothing says, "I'm the true mother of monsters!" quite like bearing your hips and breasts like a sword wielding venus of willendorf.

I don't think she's trying to flaunt her femininity. There were plenty of barbarian tribes fighting more or less naked if we go back to pre-monotheistic times. I don't think nephilim are modest in the sense that we humans are.

Agreed...i think that logically, nephilims wouldn't care one bit about clothes...especially clothes designed in a human fashion. I'd see them using straps of leather *made of flayed skin" to protect their limbs but little else. In that sense, the current model is probably more acurate than the 1st. Besides...it amuses me to imagine any Nephilim Seemstress offering a bodice to Nekima, or Nekima actually manufacturing her clothes to designer quality...or Zoraida giving sewing classes to Lilith, Pandora, Lelus and Lilitus in the swamp.

Let's just look at Titania, who wouldn't even bother repairing her dress, and that's a Queen. Of course Malifaux is not Kingdom Death and nude miniatures would rise too much heat for the market.

There's always been something awkward about Malifaux's neverborn on that question. They hate humans but they want to copy them too much. I'd like to see Lilith's true face one day.M aybe TTB's Core will shed some light on what's what.

In any case, this new model looks like it's much larger than the current one and just for that, it's better in my book. I can always customize the clothes with a modelling tool if need be, but i can't resize a miniature that is too small (imho) so i am also in the camp of "when can we get this?" as above.