C . Hoffman

Jinxs

Hello, not been playing too long and mostly been dancing around in smoke and mirrors fun but been looking to move over into guild.

The of metal and Flesh box and C.Hoffman look pretty good however I was wondering if people could give any advice for play style and build as the only only other contruct player in my group is a Ramos and I get the feeling they are not the same.

So anyone out there got advice or thoughts for this please do drop a post.

Have you already read Hoffman's Tactica on PullMyFinger? If not, that is where I would advise yout to start. Here is the link: M2E Hoffman.

Next is one of my favorite Malifaux podcasts - Schemes & Stones - Master Spotlight C. Hoffman.

And a list of models Hoffman can hire (without Mercenaries): M2E Hoffman Crew List.

• Like 1

I don't play Hoffman myself so others might be able to give better advice but his basic idea is that he has a bunch of constructs in a bubble of doom and buffs them plus makes them do extra actions. Coming from Collette you will probably feel that marker schemes just got a lot harder but that you will survive a lot more damage. 

Hoffmans box is solid. On top of that you will probably want Ramos' box first since the best beaters for Hoffman are in that. On the guild side both the peacekeeper and Ryle are good but I would probably go with the arcanist constructs first. You will also need to find at least one extra watcher to run schemes for you. If you can't find or proxy one I guess the effigy could work for scheme running but watchers really are a godsend for guild since they're the only half-decent scheme runners (barring a few master-specific stuff).

If you just read a few cards you can quite easily figure out which models like which upgrades and a couple of games should show you his strengths and weaknesses.

Against a seasoned Ramos player you should probably be prepared to get beaten a lot until you figure out the ins and outs of the play style because metal gamin and Joss are basically hard counters to a lot of Hoffmans models. The good news is that you can use the same models right back on him ;) I might add metal gamin to the buy list if anticipating to face a lot of constructs. They are also the best Ca buff you will find in the entire game so a lot of people consider them staple models for Hoffman.

I'm not sure about the pullmyfinger crew list. I borrowed the Mechanical Rider card off of the Arcanist player last game night and it had just about everything except M&SU, so I thought. And it does not have mobile toolkit either which just makes me very sad. Do I need to go find FAQ-errata?

Wikis are only as correct and as helpful as the people contributing to them.

I went ahead and corrected the hiring list.

• Like 3

The Rail Golem is a really good buy for Hoffman, it has bad stats but great abilities, guess what Hoffman fixes. Loop in a guardian and the Rail Golem is hitting at Ml7 with a built in :+fate, and can be armour 2/3 with Df 6, possibly nimble and Ca 8 for easy Locomotions and he can be fast and get a bunch of extra AP off the Hoff. Thomas the Pain Engine has no breaks with Hoffman.

Metal Gamin are almost mandatory with their cast 8.

The Malifaux Child is a good buy if your luck is good, as you can use "Just like you" to power loop in a Metal Gamin and Guardian, and then kill it, preferably with Joss for an extra scrap, to permanently loop them in, as power loop goes away when the model that casts it dies, but this does require 2 11+ cards, the first of which has to be a tome. That said the Assistant is a decent choice, it can clear conditions on Hoffman he can draw LoS from it and if you are facing Sonnia, Rasputina or Wong it can stop blasts and pulses.

The Watchers are awesome scheme runners, as you hire 2 and give one Hydraulics and the other Programmed Directive to drop 2 scheme markers a turn each.

The mobile toolkit can be a good purchase as Hoffman can use On Site Assimilation to copy the buffs it hands out, don't think it's out in plastic yet, but it did have a metal model if you can find it.

Ryle, Howard, Joss, a Peacekeeper and the Brutal Emissary are all good beatsticks you can use, Hunters, Wardens, and Arachnid swarms are all also good choices, the only non construct you'll take regularly will probably be Witchling stalkers for the condition clear.

Hoffman has pretty much the opposite playstyle to Ramos, Ramos swarms the opponent with hordes of expendable chaff, while Hoffman Takes an elite crew and makes them amazing. Just beware anything that ignores armour, and remember Hoffmans Df trigger is damage reduction equal to a nearby constructs armour, it's not actually armour so isn't ignored by attacks that ignore armour.

Edited by Durza
Messed up the pun
  • Like 4

Hoffman has pretty much the opposite playstyle to Ramos, Ramos swarms the opponent with hordes of expendable chaff, while Hoffman Takes an elite crew and makes them amazing. Just beware anything that ignores armour, and remember Hoffmans Df trigger is damage reduction equal to a nearby constructs armour, it's not actually armour so isn't ignored by attacks that ignore armour.

I need to remember this!

I've had success running Guild only constructs without going full elite before. Peacekeeper is mandatory, and so is a Guardian for Ml 7 and Df+2 on Hoff. Guardian is also a good Slow target, since he can walk+trigger on Protect to get in base contact with Hoffman. That being said, Metal Gamin are great but not completely neccesary. Ca8 is great but it has been rare when I don't get Hoffs casts off anyway with 2 constructs near him. Gamin are also great Slow targets  

If you need to kill stuff, go Arcanist death ball. It's just brutal.  

The new emissary is my favorite model against Ramos.   He makes a great link for hoffman to be pulled around by,  his never bluff a six gun trigger really helps to thin the tide of spiders,  and is a good place to put patchwork plating to become armor 2.  Try to get the alpha strike on joss with a preplanned scheme marker to send him far away with your box, he is to slow to get back. 

The problem lies in the fact that there is no model yet.   You will have to make a proxy or find any of the avatar models in metal, which count as the emissary. 

I've had success running Guild only constructs without going full elite before. Peacekeeper is mandatory, and so is a Guardian for Ml 7 and Df+2 on Hoff. Guardian is also a good Slow target, since he can walk+trigger on Protect to get in base contact with Hoffman. That being said, Metal Gamin are great but not completely neccesary. Ca8 is great but it has been rare when I don't get Hoffs casts off anyway with 2 constructs near him. Gamin are also great Slow targets  

Guardian gives Defensive +2(:+fate to Df) and not Df+2. Its the second time I see this and this may be misleading to people.

Edited by trikk

Guardian gives Defensive +2(:+fate to Df) and not Df+2. Its the second time I see this and this may be misleading to people.

I'll say that's confusing, I was running it the other way, but then again I just started... *trots down to the FAQ and clarifications*