Ten Thunders Archers in-progress

Clawz

Hey folks, I've lurked a bit, and decided I finally had something worth sharing!

I've been working for some time now on a Ten Thunders crew, self-delaying because I am obsessed with making them look historically accurate.

To that end, here's a blog post where I talk about making their helms. If you look elsewhere on the blog, you can find a post regarding converting bases, and one about painting patterns; I'll have more as I have stuff I feel is worth photographing.

http://therivetcounter.blogspot.ca/2013/10/ten-thunder-archer-helms-at-last.html

Hats%203.jpg

From Malifaux Clothes

Edited by Clawz
updating title

Those are really nice! I also liked your blog where you described how they were painted.

I am looking forward to see how historically accurate you can paint everyone. You may have your work cut out for you though, the are a bit of a mish mash of cultures, pop cultures, and pulp. Looking over your blog, you can see that you have a good grasp of the influences and the talent to pull it off. Just don't leave us waiting too long!

Dracomax noo! Don't despair! A lot of the stuff is just tricks and experimentation. Feel absolutely free to borrow my method, and wrap it into the stuff you can pull off! (It's why I'm forthcoming with methods: I don't just want pretty models, I want to play against them too! :D)

RagingRodian: I determined that similar to how the Ten Thunders are a hybrid mix of Japanese and Chinese (with some extra thrown in) I would be historical-ish. Basically, where I can geek out and go 100% historical, I would. Where I couldn't, I just do what 'feels' right. So far it hasn't steered me too wrong!

Another update should be coming by (I hope) the weekend. I'm painting their Yakuza-style tattoos now, and I think they're working for the most part. I've been putting off doing their clothes because I will need to (want to?) do pinstripes on one, and if I screw that up, I'll have to repaint the entire kimono...

In the meantime, anyone who wants to see what the Archers were very distinctly themed off of, here's a video showing it:

...and a historical (though colourized by someone) photograph of three archers at practice:

http://theinfinitecurve.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/kyudoka-japanese-archers-c1860-photo-chopshop.jpg

Grr, for some reason my post wouldn't go up and needed a 'moderator to approve it' so here's a second attempt at the same...

Dracomax: Don't despair of it! I put up steps so other folks (if they like it) can follow along! Find some random extra bitz to practice on (or, if you're like me, one of the hundred-some models that have become 'bitz' >.<)

RagingRodian: I am being as accurate as I can considering it's a blend of Japanese and Chinese: Where the outfits are perfectly historical, like with the archers, I'm going to push the accuracy. Looser ones, like the Oiran, get a more... creative interpretation.

I'll have more stuff up by the end of the weekend I hope. I'm attempting Yakuza-style tattoos on the archers at the moment, and am not entirely happy with how it looks on one of them. Their clothes are pretty much done though!

It is time for an update! I have finally taken pictures of the 'finished' archers. (quotes because let's be honest, they're never 100% done..)

You can find the update on my blog of course, here:

http://therivetcounter.blogspot.ca/2013/10/ten-thunders-archers.html

And, because sometimes it's not easy to read through a whole blog, here's a teaser image; one of the three to convince you to check out m'blog or he'll shoot you in the face!

Archer%25206.jpg

From Ten Thunders Finished