M2E Marcus

dgraz

Aside from tag teaming with guild hounds....what strats/schemes are they better at than Molemen and/or Silurids? 

To me, that strongly depends on other factors....such as terrain/opponent.....what schemes I take may rely on what the strat is...if it's Reckoning, I may not take them even if the scheme they might be best at is in the pool.

I'm also big on redundancy.....so while I think a Silurid is the best for Plant Evidence or Breakthrough.....I usually take just one....then I'll take my team of dogs that could be running as back up for that.

Honestly, I think they're good for most situations, except Reckoning and Head Hunter. I probably wouldn't take them as a Vendetta runner but other than that.........they're fast, cheap, and significant minions....everything you need for scoring VP in most cases.

There are some things that I think Silurids and Molemen are best used for....like Silurids rock Deliver a Message and Power Ritual...and Molemen are good for Protect Territory......but I think, if used well, the dogs can accomplish anything they can do. And personally, I don't rate Molemen very high and I rarely ever take them.

If I alpha an enemy I have turned into a beast that is engaged with one of my models, do I have to make a disengaging strike to leave my doods melee?

ty

-GB

As Bengt said, you don't have to....it's always a choice to make a Disengaging Strike....Alpha doesn't change who they are friendly to...so an enemy is still an enemy.

However.....this can be a neat trick if you do this to an enemy that is engaged with Myranda (who has Wicked) or even better, a Razorspine...who also has Wicked but gets a  :+fate  :+fate  on Disengaging Strikes and has massive Severe damage....so the enemy gets Alpha'd...attempts to Disengage....cheat down the Defense flip if you need to.....Bam....6 damage.

Lol

Thanks.

Also as a curiosity, why are there "stray" suits now and again with some models.

i.e.

Myrandas cobra fang melee attack has a tome built into it, but no trigger.

I have seen this on occasion witj other

Models.

Ty

-GB

It's a mystery.

Lol

Thanks.

Also as a curiosity, why are there "stray" suits now and again with some models.

i.e.

Myrandas cobra fang melee attack has a tome built into it, but no trigger.

There is a degree of future proof. look at the Ice Gamin with the pointless :tome in Df. Well, pointless until you look at the Rasputina Upgrade which gives frozen hearted minions a Df trigger whihc needs that :tome .

The suits are to show an affinity with that power in the model. There is no garentee that they will ever use them, but things in the future may relate to them. And as such, Myrandas Attack has some natural "Knowledge" in it.

There is a degree of future proof. look at the Ice Gamin with the pointless :tome in Df. Well, pointless until you look at the Rasputina Upgrade which gives frozen hearted minions a Df trigger whihc needs that :tome .

The suits are to show an affinity with that power in the model. There is no garentee that they will ever use them, but things in the future may relate to them. And as such, Myrandas Attack has some natural "Knowledge" in it.

Interesting, I suspected some such.

ty

• 1 month later...

There is a strong Rez/Neverborn player in my group.

Very challengning to beat.

Among everything else, all the slows and lures tend to reac havoc for most of us.

Im going to drop Sonnia on him this sunday for the first time, but my question really

revolves around wanting to use Marcus in all my matchups and still be competitive.

I cant seem to do that against Seamus, Nico and Pandora.

I need more table time, but am curious if others are generally successful with a Marcus crew against these masters.

ty

-Bump

I've certainly used Marcus to beat Seamus and Nico. And imagine he can do pretty well against Pandora.

Against Nicodem I throw my crew into Nico and just kill him. If you can get Marcus doing 4 damage minimun wih 5 attacks, Nicodem is probably in trouble.Especially if you manage to give him a negative Df Fiip. (And if that doesn't kill him, hiopefully you made Nico a beast, so if his crew does try and rescue him, you can pass the attacks off onto Nico)

Otehrwise unfold his crew. Kill off his corpse generating engine, and he starts to be troubled.

Marcus can easily boost his crews wp, which can help against crews that target Wp (Like Lure from a belle heavy list, or Pandora). Its not a style I personally use Marcus for, but others do. Pandora certainly doesn't like His howl upgrade.

Agree with Adran. I've beaten all of those masters with Marcus. A furious early offensive is usually pretty effective against Seamus and/or Nico.....their low Df allows you to hammer them with speedy high min damage models like Marcus (4 weak) and the Cerberus (3 weak)...and the Cerberus can really go to town using lower  :tome  than usual to trigger Maul.

Pandora is a little trickier. But I agree that you can easily buff your own Wp....I think the big thing with her is that she isn't very effective once her crew starts going away....the typical Marcus crew is perfect for re-deploying and making the kind of surgical strikes required to pick apart her crew while limiting the blow-back. Don't forget Night Terrors.....their -4" to Ca actions ability can be pretty brutal against spell heavy crews.

\

Using Alpha on a Ronin and having her seppuku to kill herself after she charges the enemy Master? Fabulous.

Would you get the soulstone from the seppuku?

Though I don't have my books on me to double-check, I'd say this is probably a big no. None of the abilities that allow you to take control of an enemy model change their allegiance.

(0) Seppuku: Sacrifice this model to add 2 Soulstones to the Crew's Cache or draw two cards.

Nothing in Alpha changes the Crew the Ronin belongs to, so you can't take the stones. On the other hand, you could sac them for the cards and the opponent would get nothing...

On the other hand, you could sac them for the cards and the opponent would get nothing...

Lol! 

Just be careful. A savvy opponent will bait you with that. Alpha is pretty close range, so if you move in to do it, Viktoria might run over to say "Hi".....or maybe "You shouldn't have brought a stick to a sword fight".....or maybe "Have a Masamune enema", etc, etc, etc.

I read somewhere that it was ruled a model can benefit from its own effecs on a reactivation.

-->Mcabe black flashes a guild hound

------->guild hound activates, then accomplices itself for its reactivation.

Can the beast Myranda shape changes into immediately activate from her acomplice ability? 

ty

-bump

I read somewhere that it was ruled a model can benefit from its own effecs on a reactivation.

-->Mcabe black flashes a guild hound

------->guild hound activates, then accomplices itself for its reactivation.

Can the beast Myranda shape changes into immediately activate from her acomplice ability? 

ty

-bump

She cannot according to the FAQ. 

"1) Q: If a model is removed from play (killed, sacrificed, etc) during its Activation, can it use the Accomplice

Ability before it is removed from play? Can other models within range use the Companion Ability?

A: No."

She would be scarier if she could though *not a ton though as the new model is still slow*.

What do people take in Marcus lists? For example I'm thinking of a list to use specifically in preperation for Levi. A core of my lists is usually:

Marcus - Trail, Feral, Hunger

Myranda - Imbued Energies

Rogue Necromancy

Raptor x2

But after that I just don't know what to take. I could take another Cerberus, but I already have 3 heavy beatsticks, two of which are fast. I could take Waldgeists (my usual go-to) but Outcasts will rip through that armor in no time at all, especially Levi or Viks. More Raptors means more liability (summon Abominations off of them, for example). All the small beasts seem to have too few wounds.

I like Alpha a lot, it's pretty amazing when used against a model that can sacrifice allies or itself (again, Outcasts have a good amount of that), I just never know what the rest of the list should be doing. I feel vulnerable when I build a list of purely glass cannons.

Also, the Slate Ridge Mauler, I ~almost~ love the thing. I just wish it were Ml6, or just a tad faster, or 7ss, or had H2K, or regen, or something. As it stands now, it's just barely not enough of a threat above 5 wounds for enemies to risk attacking it, so it never gets to its 4 weak damage track. But on the other hand, if you try to force it into that state, it's Df is low enough for just 2 or 3 attacks to finish it off. Any advice?

Apply lots of pressure if your up against Levi. Marcus is one of the better masters at Waif hunting due to his high mobility, high threat models. It can also work out to turn those Waif anchors into beasts and then alpha them to attack the Waifs. Make him react to you and not the other way around and you can usually keep Levi distracted enough to get the job done with relative safety. 

Also be sure to keep a staple of beasts near Marcus to shrug off any attacks the Levi may take against Marcus. The slate ridge mauler is actually a good model for this since its impossible to wound cannot be ignored by his "unmaking" attack, nor can his attacks be cheated incase he does manage to flip low on a strait or positive flip.

Also, the Slate Ridge Mauler, I ~almost~ love the thing. I just wish it were Ml6, or just a tad faster, or 7ss, or had H2K, or regen, or something. As it stands now, it's just barely not enough of a threat above 5 wounds for enemies to risk attacking it, so it never gets to its 4 weak damage track. But on the other hand, if you try to force it into that state, it's Df is low enough for just 2 or 3 attacks to finish it off. Any advice?

The slate ridge mauler DOES have H2K. I don't rate him too highly but he'ss decent in turf war behind some mobile Waldgeist cover, with Myranda giving him +ive to DF to make up for the low stat of 4. and can pull enemy models also trying to claim the turf into the middle of your crew with his bearhug. 

First off, it all depends on the strat/schemes. Marcus is a toolbox like Levy (though not to that level). You really shouldn't create a list for most crews before strat/schemes, but with Marcus is very important.

I probably wouldn't take the Rogue Necro against Levy. Levy and/or Rusty will make short work of it probably. Depending on the strat/schemes of course, I might consider the Blessed of December....she's super fast for Waif hunting (and she could take Imbued Energies for more speed, though I usually put Pack Leader on her). Silurids aren't normally the greatest damage dealers, but they'd be perfect for taking out Waifs.

I actually got my first experiences with Marcus at Califaux and I have to admit I thoroughly loved learning him.  Some key things I learned though:

when turning an enemy into a beast, giving them domesticate to help turn them into a beast still effects them when you activate them, so they have a minus flip on their duels even when you control them :(

min 4 dmg is AMAZING!!!!!

Jackalope is easily the most annoying two points in the game. Sooooo much AP wasted on killing him over and over and over lol

still haven't played support Marcus, Trail of the gods has just been too amazing.

Molemen are Scheme Gods!!!!!!!!!!!