Rule Books

dedonta

Right now, I'd wait because second edition is coming out in a couple of months, and the rules/model stats in the first edition books are all going to change.

In the meantime, check out the beta--if you decide it isn't for you, you can always go back and pick up first edition books for relatively cheap after second edition is released.

beta here:

http://www.wyrd-games.net/forumdisplay.php?212-M2E-Public-Beta

Ok...so I ordered 1.5, and saw there are several other rule books as well...will I need them? What order do they go in? Worth the money or should I just invest that cash in minis?

As Dracomax mentioned, edition is updating soon so old books are really only worth grabbing for fluff (or if you got people who want to stick with 1.5). For the primary story the book order is 1.5, Rising Powers, and Twisting Fates. Storm of Shadows doesn't fit into the over-arching plot, but all the fluff pieces are solid and gives some background to the 10-Thunder faction.

Right now, I'd wait because second edition is coming out in a couple of months, and the rules/model stats in the first edition books are all going to change.

In the meantime, check out the beta--if you decide it isn't for you, you can always go back and pick up first edition books for relatively cheap after second edition is released.

beta here:

http://www.wyrd-games.net/forumdisplay.php?212-M2E-Public-Beta

BAH! Too late...ordered 1.5 from thewarstore.com lastnight. OH well...I don't play tournaments etc...so my friends that I'm trying to hook will be learning what I teach them anyways lol...so 1.5 it is.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

will the figure's stat cards for 2nd edition be compatible with 1.5 for those that chose to stay with the older version?

No, they are pretty much completely different. Personally, I'd pick up the 1.5 for fluff, and try both editions out based on the beta and the 1.5 rulebook, decide which you like better, and purchase more stuff from there.

Models will be compatible, and M2E cards for older models will be available in faction packs in 2 waves(wave one will only have those models which have new stats in M2E book 1, and wave 2, next year, will have all models released to that point).

If you want to stay with the older edition, there are already rumors of fan conversions of models yet to be released to make them M1E compliant, but Wyrd will probably not have any support for those.

They actually said in an early interview on malifools (I think it was), that they wouldn't do it. They wanted people to still have a reason to keep the old books, and feel proud about it :-)

Edit: in response to Wyrd releasing the fluff in a single book. Sorry I'm writing this on my phone >>

The current books are Malifaux (and 1.5) which contain the same story and figures, the 1.5 just has the updated rules in.

Rising powers - Contains more story.

Twisting fates- Carries on the story and introduces Avatars. I wopuld assume the 1.5 book had all the required rules for manifesting, btu I don't know for certain. Don'ty think it is required

Storm of Shadows - Takes a side step in introducing a new faction and lots of small stories rather than continue the main tale. Contains the faction specific and master specific schemes for the Ten Thunders. Contains the rules for mounted models that can dismount.

Needed if you want to Play McCabe, Very helpful if you want to play Yan Lo, Mei Feng, Jacob Lynch, Misaki.

All of the books contain rules for figures, but the figures will come with these rules themselves. Its useful to own them to know what models are otu there and how you might want to expand your collection, but unless you are using McCabe every rule you need should be in the 1.5 book. If you use any of the 10 Thunders masters it is worth buying Storm of Shadows for the extra schemes they can use, but not essential.

The figures from V1 are going to have rules in V2, but the exact rules are all changing for V2, and the 2 rules systems are not compatable.

So let me get this straight...everything that everyone has bought up to the release of M2E will be obsolete and need to be repurchased (minus the acutal led figures)...rules and stat cards? AND...if you want to stick with what you've got you are out of luck with anything you buy after the new release...meaning figures that you buy in a few months will not be compatible with the figures you currently own...that is the stats for them...ie if I own lilith today, and buy Colladi after M2E comes out, they will not be compatible??

This really seems to deter anyone from getting into the game until all the old stock is gone. People in my shoes should not even bother buying stuff until that point because we'll need to spend more money getting updated cards/rules...hmmmm sounds very much like a major UK company that does a new edition every few years and new army books to go along with them.

For the most part what you've said is correct, but each model in the Malifaux line will still be useable in a game of Malifaux in M2E. There are 2 minis that won't get new rules. Minion Hamelin and minion Misaki. Those minis will still be able to be used officially as their master versions in M2E. Wyrd will be releasing faction decks and starting crews are being reworked. Any of the old stat cards and actual rules won't work with M2E. The background info and stories in the old rulebooks are still pretty solid reasons to own them, and I imagine they may be going to the discount bin soon. I think it was Justin that said in a podcast interview that he knew the transition period was going to be rough on their sales, but they believe the new edition will be worth the down period.

You may be right about purchasing anything new. Wyrd's online store will have several GenCon only exclusives and is supposed to have everything for sale for M2E that will be available at GenCon. I'm trying to save my pennies until then.

Comparing Wyrd to GW has happened a few times with the edition change, but at least Wyrd has developers that come into the boards and talk to us.

So let me get this straight...everything that everyone has bought up to the release of M2E will be obsolete and need to be repurchased (minus the acutal led figures)...rules and stat cards? AND...if you want to stick with what you've got you are out of luck with anything you buy after the new release...meaning figures that you buy in a few months will not be compatible with the figures you currently own...that is the stats for them...ie if I own lilith today, and buy Colladi after M2E comes out, they will not be compatible??

This really seems to deter anyone from getting into the game until all the old stock is gone. People in my shoes should not even bother buying stuff until that point because we'll need to spend more money getting updated cards/rules...hmmmm sounds very much like a major UK company that does a new edition every few years and new army books to go along with them.

This is a fairly pessimistic way of looking at it, but its not entirely wrong.

If you want to keep up with the most current version then the rules that you buy at the moment will be out of date by early next year (the official switch to V2). They are going to sell packs of stat cards which will allow you to use all your current minis in the new rules set, exact deails of this are unsure at the moment since the min rules are being released in 2 waves, but come next year you will be able to buy a boxed set of the neverborn cards allowing you to field the Lilith you bougth today and the Collodi you by in August in V2.

You will also have the rules to play them both in V1 (if you bought the old metal sets anyway. If you buy the new plastic versions of the figures but want to use the V1 rules you will need the stat card in the rules books that are currently out).

By Gencon 2014 Wyrd will release new figures which only have V2 rules (My expectation) but anything you buy before then will be playable in both V1 and V2.

Every model in V1 is usable in V2 (Misaki and Hamlin will only be in master form from V2 onwards but you can still use the old minion figure to represent them).

Definately frustrating to hear that all the box sets today will be out of date in 6 months. How different will the new rules be? Will I have a good foundation if I learn the current version? I've always felt like GW's new editions changed very little...just enough to force you to change your approach, or to have to buy more peons to feed to the fire so to speak. What exactly are the changing on the figure's cards...just balancing...adding new stat categories, removing stat categories? Sorry to sound like a debbie downer, its just a little frustrating to stumble on this information after ordering rules, fate decks, and a couple starter crews...but at least they are cheaper than the UK company!

• 2 weeks later...

The new rules are quite different form the old rules and while the mechanics are similar you won't be able to mix V1 with V2. Most folks think the new version of the rules are better, but there are a few notable exceptions.

My advice would be to swing by my local game store in Logan, UT and let me give you a demo of M2E. *grin*

I agree a little bit with this, but for the most part I think it's a little too severe of a comparison. Keep in mind I just bought my first box about an hour ago off Amazon (Can't WAIT to start painting that Sabertooth Cerberus!).

Yes, it's kind of crappy that I am just now getting into the game and have to worry about buying new cards and rules in 6 months or so. I'm going to go to all the trouble of learning this game with 1.5 rules and pretty much none of it will count.

However, what GW does is on a whole other level. $75 on a rulebook and $50 on an Army book, so I've already spent $125 just on rulebooks before I even get to buying mini's. Their prices do nothing but increase, and not just a small amount. Some of their increases are insane. Hell, did you see some of the prices for the new Apocalypse stuff they released? $160 on one model (almost crapped myself when I saw that one).

Beside, from what I've seen (and I've been lurking around here for a few weeks now) Wyrd is pretty good at keeping in touch with their customers. This is another area where GW is SEVERELY deficient. In the 10 years I've been buying their products, I have hardly ever seen them interact with their customers and when they do it's usually to talk about how great they are, never once responding to player concerns.

So far, I've been impressed with Wyrd as a company overall. Again, though, just keep in mind that all this is coming from a brand new player and customer so take all of it with a grain of salt. Just one guys opinion. :)

I am also just starting to buy minis for Malifaux and the fact that after 6 months I need to buy new cards isn't that big of a deal. The game changes, to a better direction, they update and work on the game so I think the few extra euros I will be spending on my updated cards is justified, you better the game, we the players pay you for it. Like with video games, you can play the first one all you like but if you want the second or the third one, which is usually better you pay for it.

As long as the minis I buy today, will be playable with buying the new cards and rules, I'll be glad to support Wyrd in such a way. If all your minis and characters would be removed from the game and forced new ones that would be a different thing, but what I understood this is not the point, so obsolete is a strong word. Just my opinion.

I have a friend faced with the same problem of getting into the game before an edition shift. However, he played 40k for a few years so he understands the complications that are inherent in edition changes, and beyond those few problems, Wyrd has handled this change in a far superior way than Games Workshop ever has (open beta for community feedback, everything faction gets updated at the same time, they give the community more than a months notice). Yeah, it's going to cost you some more money, but then it is a luxury hobby, so maybe you should calm down. To date, just about every major miniatures game has gone through an edition change now, it's a natural part of gaming. As people play the game over the years, flaws that weren't immediately apparent start to crop up as people find new ways to play pre-existing models and as a result of unintentional power creep. Even board games see the occasional overhaul, and with how much more complex tabletop skirmish games are, it's only natural that they'll need an overhaul as well.

I also think Wyrd has gone about this in the right way. In order to use your existing models in the new version you just need to buy a faction deck and the new rule book, that to me is the easiest way it could have done.

For those who don't think Wyrd have done it correctly, how would you have done it?

I am now in my seventh month playing Malifaux and I have got a lot of models in that time and to see a edition change so close to buying in was a little daunting at first, but my gaming started with GW and and their edition switchs feels like a 3 year turn around, that's if you even get a new army book in at edition ( wood elves/Brets ) Wyrd are giving us 3 masters for each faction with book one, and from the interviews on the podcasts the rest of the released models early next year. And all the rules for book one have been released in a public beta witch had feed back used to change rules and stats, I'm not sure but I think there is a second beta planed for the second wave as well.

But as said by many others it will cost us to buy new rule books and faction decks.

I will be changing half my models as well because I'm a plastic crack head.

But in my humble opinion it's a better more balanced version of the game and its still going to be cheaper then a lot of other game system edition changes.

Now I'm off to try and raise the limit on my credit card and start thinking of a realy good excuse's for the wife when all the new goodness arrives from my GenCon order :)

I guess I look at this a bit differently. I have enjoyed the game for many years now, in fact it is hands down my favorite game. I have no regrets on my purchase of a great game and the older book will always have a hallowed place on my shelves. The new edition is a great idea and will hopefully breathe life into an already great game.

Like others have said the vast majority of the specific rules are available on the cards themselves.

While I wait for ME2 and all it's goodness I am still playing 1.5 and can easily switch between one or the other while I wait for the rules on certain minis to be released. I personally like the vast majority of changes in the beta. In the meantime I can work on my painting.

Definately frustrating to hear that all the box sets today will be out of date in 6 months. How different will the new rules be? Will I have a good foundation if I learn the current version? I've always felt like GW's new editions changed very little...just enough to force you to change your approach, or to have to buy more peons to feed to the fire so to speak. What exactly are the changing on the figure's cards...just balancing...adding new stat categories, removing stat categories? Sorry to sound like a debbie downer, its just a little frustrating to stumble on this information after ordering rules, fate decks, and a couple starter crews...but at least they are cheaper than the UK company!

What Starter Boxes did you buy?

At the minute the starters that don't have 2.0 rules are Dreamer, Collodi, McCabe, Hoffman, Lucius, Kaeris, Collette, Kirai, Yan Lo and Hamelin. All of these will be going into open beta after the release of Book 1, and if you're playing during that time you'll be able to actually have a say in how the models' rules turn out, not to mention provide valuable insight as a new player just entering the game. I believe their official rules will be out in January, but until then you'll actually have the opportunity to play with them for free.

If you don't have any of those boxes, you can play M2E right now with the free beta rules.

The rules systems are similar in terms of the basic mechanics of flipping cards, turn order and such. However, they have a very different "feel" in my opinion. Bearing in mind that this is just my individual view, M1.5 took a fair bit of prior reading and relied specific model combos and activation sequences in order to play a Crew efficiently, whereas M2.0 sort of lays things out on the table for you and makes your mind work within the game more than outside. In keeping with this, the format and contents of models' stat cards has changed to the point where the two editions' cards are not compatible.

If you're still up for listening to personal advice, I'd suggest reading through the 1.5 book's fluff and starting to play games of 2.0 with the beta rules. If it's just you trying to get friends hooked, 2.0 means they can play without having to memorise as many "niche" rules and terms as in 1.5. If you've got a 1.5 veteran to guide you through then by all means try 1.5, but if you're going for it on your own you want to be struggling with as few difficulties as possible.

Still, don't try planning too much right now. Take a look at the beta rules and cards, and when your stuff arrives take a look at the 1.5 rules and cards. See which suits you and your playgroup better, but remember that 1.5 won't be getting much Wyrd support at all from now on.