Future of Ours MalifauX experience

caen

In statistics, sample size is important. I'm sure someone has uttered a percentage before, but I'm just as certain, that like 95% of statistics, it was made up on the spot. *wink*

I'm sure that Gencon sales will still be high, but as far as the transition between editions goes, I'm not sure precisely how many of those numbers will be made up of veteran 1.5 players continuing onwards and how many will be brand new players.

I do know that one shop in the area's players seem to be mixed on what they plan to do regarding the edition change, so that's about 20 players that could go either way. To make a guesstimate, if we say half stay with 1.5 / quit altogether and the other half move onto 2.0, that's 10 and 10. Another shop seems to be fairly adamantly against 2.0's changes. Their numbers seem to be about another 20 players in the stick with 1.5 / quit crowd. But, these are just local numbers.

If we want to throw their henchmen's votes into this, I'm fairly certain that it's one for 2.0 and the other against. Their pull could sway players either direction.

In another thread, someone stated that their shop had no interest at all in Through the Breach, but, in this area, plenty of people are interested in it. How many of those pledged to the kickstarter is another matter, though.

So it's very tough to tell where people who don't come to the forums sit on the spectrum.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have managed to get various people into various games over the past year. Generally enthusiasm and cool models are the winners over little differences in the rules. As long as I get to throw zombies into magical coffins while shooting Mad Hatter the Ripper I will play whatever Wyrd put in front of me.

Since I severely dislike this new edition's removal of the things that drew me into it in the first place, and since I have no desire to play the new edition means it will be difficult to find a game using the old rules. And once you add in the fact the game I like will no longer have anything new added to it I'm declaring Malifaux a game I use to play and divest myself of it. I'll just shift that time and money to a game with rules I like that has players I can enjoy playing the game with.

What debacle for book 4?

---------- Post added at 05:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 AM ----------

Striker, it remains to be seen whether there will be a v1 community yet.

Also, v2 is not released yet so it might be worth seeing what happens on both fronts before abandoning the game.

You also have to assume that the majority of the people that will actually see this poll are for it. The people that hate M2E have probably already abandoned the forums.

Maybe They will rejoin forum one more time to vote and show Their disproval for M2E?

And to show that v1.5 still have enough fans to survive … or be forgotten

Edited by caen

What debacle for book 4?

---------- Post added at 05:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 AM ----------

Striker, it remains to be seen whether there will be a v1 community yet.

Also, v2 is not released yet so it might be worth seeing what happens on both fronts before abandoning the game.

I guess a lot of forum regulars, especially those in the UK, didn't like the direction Malifaux was going or felt that their playtest input wasn't being given the weight they felt it deserved, so they made a lot of noise (or at least walls of scathing text) and then left.

I missed out on seeing it because I had taken a break from the forums, in part due to life getting in the way, and in part due to a lot of those folks making the forums a hostile place long before then.

You also have to assume that the majority of the people that will actually see this poll are for it. The people that hate M2E have probably already abandoned the forums.

This. The self-selection present here will be pretty overwhelming.

I guess a lot of forum regulars, especially those in the UK, didn't like the direction Malifaux was going or felt that their playtest input wasn't being given the weight they felt it deserved, so they made a lot of noise (or at least walls of scathing text) and then left.

I was aware of lots of noise from some UK about the state of the game and what was not being addressed for already released models, but had heard nothing about book 4.

In fact, some of the larger flameouts seemed prior to release in my recollection...

But I dunno.

I missed out on seeing it because I had taken a break from the forums, in part due to life getting in the way, and in part due to a lot of those folks making the forums a hostile place long before then.

I was aware of lots of noise from some UK about the state of the game and what was not being addressed for already released models, but had heard nothing about book 4.

In fact, some of the larger flameouts seemed prior to release in my recollection...

But I dunno.

There was a single twitter rant (Ok a tweet or two) about book 4 I believe, from one well known ex forumite - if that counts as people from the UK? ;)

Yeah I'm not aware of anything major in the UK, and the broad trajectory of the scene seems very positive.

We did have had some set backs as all communities do. We had a few high profile departures over the last year or so, unconnected to M2e. In some cases IMHO that may have been for the better in the long run.

One of our main venues (Maelstrom) went out of business, but TTN in the south has stepped up well, and the northern scene is still holding 20+ player events.

We also have an emerging scene in Scotland that is very exciting. I'll be visiting them to play the UKs first M2e tournament next weekend.

On the whole the outlook for the scene in the UK is very good IMO.

Agree with MythicFox, UK scene is trending upwards IMO with growing events in both North and South.

Have to agree here too. Me and Dumb Luck ran a M2E demo in Swansea on sunday considering it was in a small, fairly new store we had about 15 people talking to us and watching during the 3 full demo games we did. Our events in south wales are getting solid numbers so far, for us at least its getting stronger and more popular as a game and I think the new edition and the new plastics will really help to invigorate the community.

Personally, I am 100% embracing M2e. Sure, there are things I will miss about 1.5, but there has just been too many fixes of the little things that I had just learned to live with. I honestly don't think I could go back.

The only thing I am not loving is the upgrade system. Not because it doesn't work right, but just because I don't like the generic upgrades. I feel like they don't bring enough to the table to warrant leaving the specific upgrades behind. But that's an easy fix, I just don't use the generic upgrades.

Our local store has seen a bit of a change. For better or worse, we will see.

When M2e was announced, our regulars all seemed pretty excited and we had between 10 an 12 people there. Then we had to switch to every other Sunday, and managed to hit mother's day, father's day, and a birthday, plus various concerts. So our numbers took a hit down to about 3 to 5 people. Now we have a Magic release party this weekend, so we had to cancel our day entirely. It looks like we have some cleaning up to do in order to get everyone back on track.

The biggest problem we are facing with M2e is we have several players who use book 2 and 4 masters. Some don't even own anything pre book 2. So I feel like more of them will be on board once we get into September and the next half of the beta begins. I know I cannot wait! I was a big fan of Yan Lo before the Izamu obsession kind of killed it for me. I am looking forward to actually getting some of the other ancestors on the table without feeling like it would have been better with Izamu. :P

Oh... and Colette. I'm excited about that too.

Swansea

All the best players come from here! *wink*

I love M1E, my favourite game of all time (so far)! I will play M2E and decide what I think after giving it a proper go (so in maybe a year or so). If I don't like it then I'll try and find a group that still play M1E or just move on to something else. I haven't voted because, as has been pointed out, most of the people inhabiting the forums at present will be M2E by default, so I don't think you'll get anything meaningful from the poll.

Nothing lasts forever.

It's the kind of issue that we want to have though :)

True. Plus as my travel is limited at the moment the more events closer to me the better. So I'll be in Halifax!

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Back on topic a bit can someone explain the "old feeling" that's been lost?

For personally the game feels the same. Sure I could pick up on different rules that change the game (soul stones) but it still feels the same to me.

I'm just curious.

True. Plus as my travel is limited at the moment the more events closer to me the better. So I'll be in Halifax!

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Back on topic a bit can someone explain the "old feeling" that's been lost?

For personally the game feels the same. Sure I could pick up on different rules that change the game (soul stones) but it still feels the same to me.

I'm just curious.

I think it's that we've spent too much time lately looking under the hood that we're not seeing the beauty of the car. Too much nuts and bolts. Not enough joyriding.

I think it's that we've spent too much time lately looking under the hood that we're not seeing the beauty of the car. Too much nuts and bolts. Not enough joyriding.

This is definitely the case

A few times since I started testing I just played.

Didn't record, didn't think of changes. Forgot the fact I was testing.

It allows you to sit back and just enjoy

No pressure, just gaming. M2E is a beautiful game.

I'm current doing some practice for the Australian GT. Its a 1.5 tournament and I can tell you, I wish it wasn't.

M2 is a much much more streamlined enjoyable game.