Let the Games Begin! (Vassal League Signup)

Tharen

The votes are in and overwhelmingly people are in favor of a league.

I

So on to the good stuff....

The overall structure. There will be several ways to score points and win prizes. They are listed below.

1. Regional games-

Players will be broken into one of three groups based on timezone/availability.

Players will be assigned two opponents for each two and a half week cycle of the league.

It is up to the players to arrange a game with each of these opponents.

Wins and victory points will be used to determine the winners.

At the end of the league (somewhere between 5 and 7.5 weeks) there will be a round-robin playoff between the winner of each regional league.

The winner will recieve a $20 gift certificate to the Wyrd Store.

The runner up will recieve a $10 credit.

2. Achievement Points- In addition to the competative bracket portion of the league there will also be an acievment component to the league.

There will be achivements worth various points. It will be similar in structure to the Dead Winter league but with some more flavorful and bizare achiievments. For example

Play Poker!

1pt: A pair - Hire 2 of the same model.

2pt : Two pair – Hire 2 pairs of the same the same minion

3pt : Three of a Kind – Hire 3 of the same model

4pt : Four of a Kind – Hire four of the same model

5pt: Full House – Hire a pair of models and a three of a kind

5pt: Straight – Hire 5 models with succesive point costs. (I.E a 4pt, 5pt, 6pt, 7pt, and an 8pt)

3. Sportsmanship

Prizes!

1. Vassal League Championship -Prizes will be increased if more people sign up

1st place - $20 Wyrd Credit

2nd place - $5 Store Credit ($10 if 20pl sign up, $15 if 30 ppl sign up)

3rd place - ($5 if 30 ppl sign up)

2. Achievement League

High Scorer - Custom Made Trophy and choice of one of several models (TBA)

3. Sportsmanship

Signups.

In order to make this work I need to know everyone's availability. Please report your general availability in your local time i.e days of the week and times you are available and provide me with your time zone referenced to GMT. From here I will assign you to a group in which you will be paired with other people with similar availability. The pairings will just match you with those weeks opponents and not dictate when you play.

Please send your forum name, your availability and your skype name to malifauxvassal@gmail.com

Sign ups will be open until February 5th 2013 althouggh late signups can still particpate in the achievement league.

Feedback is welcome as everything is still fluid.

Edited by Tharen

The mere fact that you are willing to coordinate plays times is pretty awesome.

I was all in for this till I saw this.

Would much, much rather be able to play who I want, when I want, as often or as little as I want...

Telling me who I'm playing, and when makes this seem more of a chore than an enjoyable league.

I don't want to tell my wife I have to spend 2 hours playing this guy right now cause some dude told me to.

I want to get on when I have the time, see who's around and get a game if able.. no pressure...

Edited by Ausplosions

For scoring I suggest using a Google doc spreadsheet, that way you can share it with everyone, and even give access to score keepers. It also has version control, so you can look back over previous records of anything gets messed up.

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

I was all in for this till I saw this.

Would much, much rather be able to play who I want, when I want, as often or as little as I want...

Telling me who I'm playing, and when makes this seem more of a chore than an enjoyable league.

I don't want to tell my wife I have to spend 2 hours playing this guy right now cause some dude told me to.

I want to get on when I have the time, see who's around and get a game if able.. no pressure...

So for me, I have some very weird hours and I can never find anyone on vassal, but if there were someone scheduling times with people across the world, it would be very helpful.

What about a system where you could either ask to be scheduled or choose to coordinate with one of the non scheduled people? I imagine if you chose this option though, and you could not get an opponent, you might have to miss out on the week.

I am not planning on setting up specific play times. The availability i would like people to provide will be a general week to week availability that will allow me to place people into groups with overlaping times so that people who are available 12 hours apart don't have to try and arrange a game. You will be free to arrange your own games within each league week. The only restriction will be that you must play one game against the person you are paired with for that week but its up to you to sort out the details of when

I would also suggest to make rounds 2 week long, should help alleviate "bad week" syndrome without going too overboard.

I had considered this but I don't want the league to stretch more two to two an a half months months if it can be helped. That is one of the reasons that I made it so only one game per week is paired. That way if you have a "bad" week you will have 6 days to play the game. Considering that Vassal allows players to save their games partway through I don't think it is unreasonable. A four hour game could be spread over two one hour sessions and a two hour session.

If for some reason a player really can't make it that week their opponent will get a free win. Or if both players just can't come to an accomodation they can draw. This will hopefully take care of the type of situation dgraz mentioned.

Why do we have to be paired at all?

A big part of why I am setting up the league is to help people facilitate games between people. That way you don't just have to hang out on Vassal and hope someone will be on night after night and the people that have slightly wonky times to play may be able to work something out with someone who wants to play during that time.

If you really don't want to be paired but want to participate you could always just try to earn points for the achievement league without participating in the bracketed portion of the league. I don't see a problem with this.

Edited by Tharen

If you really don't want to be paired but want to participate you could always just try to earn points for the achievement league without participating in the bracketed portion of the league. I don't see a problem with this.

Will people in the league be allowed to play against people that are not in the league just to earn achievement points?

What's the crew size for these games? Fair to say that some players will have boxes and boxes of minis, and others will have near-to-nothing. Size should be limited to the cards that can be freely & legally downloaded from Wyrd, imo.

The stats for all models are in the books.

Because it's a league silly, without pairings it isn't a league, it's just free play.

I would also suggest to make rounds 2 week long, should help alleviate "bad week" syndrome without going too overboard.

I agree with this 100%. Life gets in the way, coordinating can be difficult. I think 2 weeks for a VASSAL league is reasonable.

maybe to make scehuling easy for people, maybe give them 2 pairings for 2.5wks, that way players have more time to organise if they have a bad week. you can then use the last 3 days to compile results and make the next round... just an idea I had! Feel free to ignore!

maybe to make scehuling easy for people, maybe give them 2 pairings for 2.5wks, that way players have more time to organise if they have a bad week. you can then use the last 3 days to compile results and make the next round... just an idea I had! Feel free to ignore!

I like this suggestion a lot, though I will add that this is Tharin's league, so he shouldn't feel that he has to hear too much of what we suggest XD

It's the first vassal malifaux league, lets see how it pans out and see how it can be done next time.

I like the idea of doing something with google docs. I will figure all that out once I have a better idea of how many people we are going to have and how I am going to divide things up. I think it is likely that there will be a spread sheet that has all the league players and their league assignments and scores from the assigned portion of the league and then maybe each player can have their own spread sheet for the achievement portion.