Got my hands on Marcus

GTDemon777

I tend to find you want some small fast stuff in your marcus crews. Something like this would be a little more forgiving to start:

Marcus

Two of: Shikome, BoD, Sabretooth

3 Silurids

If you were comfortable with less soulstones, you could take only 2 silurids and another bigger thing.

And get that Jackalope ASAP - it's amazing.

Don't rule out the razorspine rattler. A 1 action (12") charge is huge (both in length and functionality), and triggers for poison or 6" push are handy, as is "no disengaging strikes".

I took the blessed out for a few games earlier in the week, and it's great. Really multi functional (for killing/objective grabbing/running around quickly to sit in deployment zones at the end of the game etc).

Finally, Decker_cky is right, the jackalope is AMAZING. Especially if you're going all beasts, but I gather you know that already (from the fact that you mentioned it originally).

If you're doing any kind of objectives......treasure hunt, plant/destroy evidence, power ritual, etc (seriously....most strats and schemes have some type of 'gotta go there' objective) - there is one final word.

Night Terrors. 3 Night Terrors (at 9ss total) will do more for your games than any other thing, hands down.

2 Silurids (10ss total) have much better hitting power than anything else listed. Their utility is amazing. If you need them to go all in, they can Leap in with Blood Frenzy...if you need them to hit and run, they can charge - disengage - leap away. They can't be targeted if out of LoS (pesky Austringers) so they are good for hiding and holding areas. They can companion for an alpha strike......3 silurids can charge in, kill something, leap away, all together, and with relatively no fear of retaliation.

Compared to the Cerberus, they are just better. The Cerberus can hit hard, but doesn't have the mobility (since his Leap is suit dependent) and he is seriously hampered by just a few wounds...one hit ruins him...and his defense isn't high enough to prevent that hit. I love seeing a Cerberus....one shot and I can ignore him the rest of the game. The BoD is way better for the cost (compared to the Cerberus)...since it can heal itself....it isn't reliant on Marcus' or Myranda's poor healing abilities to stay viable.

I know I said more about Silurids than Night Terrors, but for objective gathering...at 3ss, significant, fast, Hard To Kill, Spirits.........damn, there is nothing better than the Night Terror.

I like the idea of the bear, but he is too slow for the way I play Marcus...as a fast striking, maneuverable, guerrilla attack-style force.

Replace Myranda immediately with just about anything else. Great concept. But doesn't work at this stage of the game. She needs a re-write in my opinion.

Oh, and the Jackalope rules. My Marcus all-beast-list never leaves home without it.

I was gonna jump in and be all "nah dude here is the rule from the card it says LoS....you're wrong dude".....ahem. However, after further inspection....only my card says 'LoS' (V1)....the updated cards (as can be downloaded) do say 'Cover'. So, good catch and thanks for correcting me.

I think 'Cover' is actually better since they can have soft cover when standing in the open, due to 'Chameleon'.

In many ways once they are on the table Marcus doesn't care if they are a beast or not.

So feel free to add gunsmiths and convicts as you wish. The only trouble is Marcus can actually hire from all 6 special forces (just) so you need to consider that carefully when you pick minions.

In many ways once they are on the table Marcus doesn't care if they are a beast or not.

So feel free to add gunsmiths and convicts as you wish. The only trouble is Marcus can actually hire from all 6 special forces (just) so you need to consider that carefully when you pick minions.

Agreed. Marcus is a great soloist. His crew can be designed to handle completely different things than you plan on doing with him. As you may have noticed :) I like Silurids and Night Terrors with him (neither are spec. forces) so I like to add in Gunsmiths with him....they are great shooters and have bonuses against various things. I like to take one Gunsmith and one Raptor. The Raptor hits the Gunsmith on turn 1 to try and turn him into a beast (Raptor trigger)...that way the Gunsmith can benefit from Marcus' Howl but it isn't needed........and, most importantly, weak damage from the Raptor is only 1...this way the Gunsmith can use his ability; 'The Hard Way'. The Raptor then makes a decent 'Defend Me' target for Marcus since it is fast enough to keep up with him.

also, i heard that the #1 marcus player uses him to basically hold Kaeris' purse. Essentially, build a Kaeris crew so Kaeris can have 8ss, use Marcus to grab objectives or beat face when necessary

I don't know if he's the #1 Marcus player, but UKRocky has won big tournaments with him....I don't know if he has ever lost a game with Marcus. Look for posts from him about Marcus if you want to play non-beast master Marcus. He is really good at taking off the beast-blinders and picking whatever Minions will work best for the Strategy, beast or not.

I agree with dgraz earlier argument for night terrors and the catfish men these are my go to as they are quick objective and one is hard to kill the other can kill most models. My favorite trick with Marcus is companion a Silirid with his zero, charge turn whatever turn it into a beast, then stare down, followed with the Silirid leaping in and murdering.

As for non beasts you can bring, I have liked the mechanical rider cause she can keep up has armor and can hit like a truck, I think that the rail golem is the same in that matter I don't have one. Kaeris is also good but I would recommend still bringing 2 silirid even if you are going Kaeris heavy for what they do with Marcus. If you are bringing non beast I think you need something with plenty of wounds and armor because if you wanted pure speed or a large number of attacks stick with beasts.

I like to take a mix of beasts and non-beasts.

Personally I've not tried Silurids (don't like the models) or night terrors (getting some soon) yet, but I've found Marcus + a blessed of december to be fantastic for objective grabbing, and bashing things in the face at the same time. I do keep forgetting his companion ability for a Marcus-Blessed alpha strike.

The Kaeris box set gives some lovely killing ability, which Beast-based Marcus seems to lack.

One thing I really like about beast-Marcus lists, is the Jackalope (I know, I know. I'll shut up about the Jackalope soon). I tend to find it's very easy to get 1SS use out of the jackalope, but then when it bounces back into action, you essentially get double the use out of it (and then triple, quadruple etc). I think the most I've managed is 3 Jackalope resurrections in a game, which is pretty handy. Especially for defending objectives (eg destroy evidence targets) on defensive stance.

By the end of the year I'll have the rail crew box, willie, a few Waldgeists, and some night terrors, so who knows where my Marcus lists will go then

Personally (and I haven't tried this, because I don't own the gupps/spawn mother yet), I'm looking forward to milking the Jack for corpse counters with graverobbers (is Blessed a GR as well?). The idea is to kill the Jack for a CC, kill a raptor for 2 more, and then the Jack comes back, and if you wanted to, you could get another one! This equals swarm o' Gupps! Take a few raptors, and suddenly, you have a summoning machine to rival the Resser faction :)

Wow, just realised stare down (0) is a :-fate to all duels, so no cheating in on defense!

That's potentially huge for a Marcus/Blessed alpha strike. I really need to learn to use some of these Marcus abilities which aren't just "run around" and "smack in face with stick".

Actually, on second thoughts, that would rinse him of all of his (0) actions (one for pack leader, one for stare down), so there'd be no space for wild heart... still, it's a situational option

Edited by sssk

Wow, just realised stare down (0) is a :-fate to all duels, so no cheating in on defense!

That's potentially huge for a Marcus/Blessed alpha strike. I really need to learn to use some of these Marcus abilities which aren't just "run around" and "smack in face with stick".

Actually, on second thoughts, that would rinse him of all of his (0) actions (one for pack leader, one for stare down), so there'd be no space for wild heart... still, it's a situational option

Yes it does take away wild heart, and as such you have to pick your spots in using it but it kills high ss models with ease and is the best way to take out masters if you get the first Marcus hit off and a lot of times people will let the hit through because it is 1/2/4 damage. I have been just using Silurids with this strategy but the blessed does look good with it I need to pick one up for sure.

It's not mandatory to use 'Pack Leader'. You could just let Marcus hit someone....it is especially good if Marcus got stuck in last turn...Use 'Wild Heart' for 'Fox' and 'Eagle', then he could hit a couple things and use 'Stare Down'.....now those things won't be doing much to Marcus thanks to the :-fate on attacks and they are still at :-fate for the rest of the turn for your follow up activations.

ok, so i finally got a game in, and this is the list that brought me the most success

25ss

Marcus - 7ss Cache

Von Schill - 10

Gunsmith - 6

Convict Gunslinger - 6

i had plant evidence (and sabotage/kill protege), opponent had turf war (breakthrough/kill protege), end score was 8/6 because i was trying to win with no models but i still had one left

This thread has been most useful, because I've played Marcus for quite a while now, with very limited results, but I just realised I've never used his stare down debuff skill. I think this is gonna be a real game changer for me, particularly as I play often against the Viks and they are so good in resisting attacks.

Amazing how you play play play and yet can still overview some of those abilities!

:)

A Marcus crew can accomplish its coals many different ways, on many kinds of terrain setups, strategies and schemes. A couple of things that have not been mentioned:

When going against an all living or Lilith grow list, consider a Cerberus, Rogue Necro., Lawyer and Night Terrors, and chase things off the board, and get free out-of-activation charges against others that fall back.

Consider a Molemen and Night Terrors as cheap objective grabbers. The former are heartier, the latter more mobile.

A few of the beasts have decent ranged attacks (Rattler), but most do not. Desp. Merc. if on a budget, Convict Gunslinger or Gunsmith if not, but if there is lots of cover, do not bother, choose beasts that can take advantage of it. Also, consider using the Jackalope to hurt the Desp. Merc. or Gunsmith if they are not getting targeted, and you need their "when damaged" bonuses.