Competitive Play

grey3

I've been playing Malifaux in Central IL at the Gopher for about 3 months now and have decided to get a more competitive with my game. I'll be stepping up to play in Adepticon (so far only the Cake and Costume tourneys, on the waiting list for Masters and may have a teammate for the Team).

I know that I need to play more games, start writing battle reports, and get the rules down flawlessly, if I intend to play at this level.

Apart from these things though, what would anyone suggest doing to step up my game? Any common pitfalls that a noob can make when attempting his/her first tourney?

Thanks guys, hope to see you at Adepticon :D

I think you need to practice under a strict time limit. Every event is a little different, but typically, 35ss tourney games are about 85-90 minutes. This is not very much time, especially if you are used to playing casually. You'll need to keep moving things along if you want to play more than a few turns. And be aware that your opponent is going to want to be moving too and won't be happy if you are playing at a casual-game pace.

Also, the time between rounds will be rather tight. Expect only 10-15 minutes to find your table, pick your crew, dig your crew out of your bag, and setup before start time is announced.

I don't mean to overstate it. Malifaux players are still pretty easy going compared to other tourneys. But keeping the time limits in mind will really help your play experience.

I'd also recommend playing with a notebook and whenever you have a question in game, make a choice about it for the purposes of the game but write down the question and come here to get them answered definitively to learn from.

Battle reports help a lot.

I learn whenever I post one that had something wrong in it.

Just the other day, I was posting about what I liked about Tannen and mentioned that I had lured him into the midst of the enemy by a Beckoner so that his auras could wreak havoc and I was reminded by Nix that he is immune to influence and should not have been able to be lured.

d'oh!

Look forward to meeting you at Adepticon.

I would tend to agree with the others. The cake match and story encounters are a bit more relaxed so I'll focus on the masters. But being a bit of a noob at last year's Adepticon, here are my thoughts...

1. Start timing your games. Time management is very important, you can't control your opponent but completing your activations quicker helps move things along.

2. Aim to achieve your objectives by turn 4. Depending on your opponent most games at 35 stones with a 90 min timer can end usually turn 4-5.

3. Most importantly, go in with a PLAN. The rules pack is usually out a few weeks or months in advance. Figure out which schemes you want to use for each round as they will be unique for the tourney. Play using those rules in your practice games and have an idea of what models you want to use to achieve your strats and schemes for each round. Some flexibility is good (swap model A for model B) but overall you should know what you are taking for each round.

4. Know your models pretty well. The less time you spend looking at the card means the more time you have to consider which move to make.

5. Lastly, remember its a game and to learn and have fun above all else. Even the masters is pretty stress-free so its more likely that any pressure you feel comes from within than from across the table.

Adepticon is awesome and the chicago crew always put on a good show. See you there in the spring!

I don't think that flawless play and total planning are necessary or even possible.

I will suggest reading. lots of reading.

read your cards and commit them to memory. read pullmyfinger on every model you intend to field. read the rules manual.

the more information you have at your fingertips, the faster you can play and the better you will understand your crew.

dont forget the fun though - if learning a crew like this feels like a slog, dont do it and find another way. its only a game after all.

2. Aim to achieve your objectives by turn 4. Depending on your opponent most games at 35 stones with a 90 min timer can end usually turn 4-5.

This is probably one of the most important pieces of advice here (the other stuff is great as well). As I recall most of the tourney games at GenCon (this year and last) didn't get out of turn 4 (Nix can probably confirm that though as he was the organizer this year).

As a judge at Adepticon and GenCon, I have noticed a couple of key things, several of which have been mentioned already.

The most important has already been mentioned, time is the biggest change. Playing faster and getting in fewer turns.

Read pull my finger, and try to play against people from outside your local group. Different play styles can trip up players that have only ever played in a closed environment. I had a player that was on the verge of throwing something when he learned that cheating and adding a card with a soulstone had to be done all at once. His group had been playing that both sides cheat, then have the option of stoning, and GenCon was his first tourney outside that circle. Organize a carload to go to St. Louis or Chicago or wherever else for one of their tourneys. It will really help.

Third, know your models, strategies and schemes. Most experienced players get frustrated by an opposing taking 10 minute activations. Know which models do well for which strategies, and which schemes work with which strategies, models, and even other schemes.

Lastly, go in with the right attitude and goals. Adepticon had more players with a positive attitude, and it made the games go smoother, and fewer problems for the judges. The right goals are to have fun, meet new players, and score as many VP as possible. You might lose a really fun game 8-7 against a top player. Is the important thing you lost, or scored 7 VP against a tough opponent and had fun? Next time it might be a 7-6 win.

1. Never forget to play to your strategy, and perhaps more importantly, to read your strategy, thinking you know what it says can be dangerous.

2. As has been said, time limits, don't plan for a turn 6 win, you won't get there.

3. Don't stress too much about knowing every rule, even experienced players make mistakes. Do try to know any relevant rules and rulings on the models you're playing with

4. Most importantly, win or lose, be a good sport

Good Luck

(Nix can probably confirm that though as he was the organizer this year).

Man you leave one day early to attend a Family event and everyone forgets you. But yeah most timed tournaments using Gaining Grounds times have trouble getting past turn 4.

We are playing with some of the times for Adepticon next year but the Masters is still going to be on a tight time frame. Honestly I would take a look at Gaining Grounds and try to play games in that time frame, then even if some events add 10 or 15 minutes to the event you will be prepared to play quicker and it will help you out.

I also can't agree more the comments above about keeping perspective and going in with the right mind set. Play to have fun as your first goal and you will have a much better time regardless of your ranking.

Forgive me, my memory isn't what it used to be...(I couldn't recall your forum name at the time though it was on the tip of my tongue and I could picture your face, plus I talked with Nix more while there due to the midget mafia demoing so much Puppet Wars).

Now if I could remember the forum name of the gentleman that won this year?.

I also really like the play to have fun recommendations, these things can be extra brutal otherwise. Hell some of my favorite games were losses.

Edited by Omenbringer

Hell some of my favorite games were losses.

QFT

My absolute two favorite games from Adepticon this year were losses.

If winning is your measure of enjoyment, then sometimes you will not enjoy yourself.

If enjoying yourself is your goal, then you have the means to always be there.

I am reminded of a story about golf... :)

EDIT: I found that having a bottle of Jameson with me at all times helped considerably.

As a newish player at GenCon I was kinda nervous when I went in knowing I was going against some really good players. I didn't want to be their negative play experience. So I did a lot of the things the guys have suggested already: played as many games as I could against as many people as I could with as many different masters as I could. I played games with the strats we were going to play and tried to find what schemes I could use and what models worked and took a lot of notes. I tried to learn my crew inside and out so I would at least make a good showing. It really helped, all that prep. And the timing thing is for real. I knew about it and prepared for it, but it still gets you when you you have a great plan and Dan calls time in the middle of your activation. Oh well...

Bunniegodd is Webster's name, the gentleman who won the Gencon Avatar's this year and Masters last year. Weakland was last years Adepticon overall winner, known as Guy In Suit on the boards. And DarcXON would be the Pharoh Dixon, who won Adepticon two years ago.

The advice in this thread is really good, I recommend reading through it and picking out the suggestions that keep getting repeated. Have Fun. Play the game to have fun. Those two suggestions are the best ones anyone can give you.

After that, time. Time in tournaments is tough (as Omen mentioned). Even for experienced players, time becomes a very tough thing to manage in the game.

Be honest with your opponent. If your new/newer to the game, don't be afraid to let them know. This could have mixed results but it might also help out when alleviating the stress of a close match or with confusion with rules and what not.

Don't get too hung up on the boards. If your going to play competitively, the boards and Pull my Finger and blogs and podcasts are all great resources. Don't let them block you into a corner though. They are all opinions and often discussion that can trip you up or create a trap. Understanding the rules of the game (read and re-read your Rules Manual), and understanding your models will help you "think on your feet". Being able to go into a game with a plan and adapt during play will help you more than knowing the latest power-recipe for the "power crew of the month". Use the information, don't get stuck on it. Some of my best games were facing and beating people who tried to bring the Chompy Slingshot against me because thats all they knew about how to play Chompy. It was not overly tough to pick apart that style of play if they didn't know anything else.

And let me go back to, have fun. Be a good sport. Take enjoyment in the cool things that happen for your opponent as much as the cool things that happen for you. Remember that even though its frustrating when your opponent flips 3 severe's on a :-fate:-fate flip, if you were a spectator that would have been a really cool moment to watch. Don't let it frustrate you, just laugh it off and enjoy the spectacle of the game.

Make sure to take in and enjoy the experience of it all. We should all be very thankful that there are people willing to organize and run these events, because without them and without a community who just wants to play the game, we could never have these really awesome events. Just being able to go and meet and play so many people who share the hobby is really the heart of it.

Bunniegodd is Webster's name, the gentleman who won the Gencon Avatar's this year and Masters last year.

He is definately a great player.

Don't get too hung up on the boards. If your going to play competitively, the boards and Pull my Finger and blogs and podcasts are all great resources. Don't let them block you into a corner though. They are all opinions and often discussion that can trip you up or create a trap. Understanding the rules of the game (read and re-read your Rules Manual), and understanding your models will help you "think on your feet". Being able to go into a game with a plan and adapt during play will help you more than knowing the latest power-recipe for the "power crew of the month". Use the information, don't get stuck on it. Some of my best games were facing and beating people who tried to bring the Chompy Slingshot against me because thats all they knew about how to play Chompy. It was not overly tough to pick apart that style of play if they didn't know anything else.

I definately agreee with this.

You need to be aware of the "power crew of the month" because you will likely see them, but so far every one of those threads has also had a great discussion about how to beat it as well (or at least a very thurough write up of how everything works so you can see things coming). Additionally, look at the "so and so is underpowered" threads as well. Dispite the sharp contrasting opinions often times those provide great tips for using the less popular options.

And let me go back to, have fun. Be a good sport. Take enjoyment in the cool things that happen for your opponent as much as the cool things that happen for you. Remember that even though its frustrating when your opponent flips 3 severe's on a :-fate:-fate flip, if you were a spectator that would have been a really cool moment to watch. Don't let it frustrate you, just laugh it off and enjoy the spectacle of the game.

Dont forget the corollary for that the :+fate :+fate :+fate flip that turns up that Black Joker on the final flip where you just needed to produce a single Wound.

The only additional advice that I would really add to this discussion is that each Master/ crew/ model has a sort of "intended" playstyle (for the most part). Learning and patterning your play after that "preferred" playstyle will produce more consistent results than trying to force them to conform with your favored style (not all masters/ crews/ models should rush into melee and try and kill everything).