Uphold the glory of the Guild

Hardlec

What I would have liked to have seen would be something like:

Silver bullets: cost one soul stone. All members of this crew do full damage to spirits

Macintoshes: cost one soul stone. All members of a crew are immune from black blood

Ferrets: like the hoarcat pride, with specific verbiage to remove rats permanently from all universes.

A medium priced (5-8 SS) minion with heal others and dispell.

The guild has ONE master and ONE minion that works well against magic and spirits.

If I ever actually see the figures released, the new offerings look good. Sorry, but right now I am disappointed because the guild has the fewest figures/characters, the fewest options, and we got hosed in Dead Heat. I see a year of more of the same. I am playing my Arcanists more (shudder) because they can do more.

When the new book finally comes out maybe I'll be able to take a better look.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I would have liked to have seen would be something like:

Silver bullets: cost one soul stone. All members of this crew do full damage to spirits

Macintoshes: cost one soul stone. All members of a crew are immune from black blood

Ferrets: like the hoarcat pride, with specific verbiage to remove rats permanently from all universes.

A medium priced (5-8 SS) minion with heal others and dispell.

The guild has ONE master and ONE minion that works well against magic and spirits.

If I ever actually see the figures released, the new offerings look good. Sorry, but right now I am disappointed because the guild has the fewest figures/characters, the fewest options, and we got hosed in Dead Heat. I see a year of more of the same. I am playing my Arcanists more (shudder) because they can do more.

When the new book finally comes out maybe I'll be able to take a better look.

Yeah, I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more. The massive amount of damage guild puts out means a non-magical weak strike from us does the same Wounds as a magic weapon weak strike from any other faction. What is the 'ONE' minion that works against magic and spirits you mention? The Stalker? The Handler? Judge? .....The 'now everyone has a magic weapon' Exorcist?

And which 'ONE' master, Sonnia? Lady J? Hoffman?

I don't know what your experience with Guild is, but you're not playing the Guild I know.

It really seems like @Hardlec has faced a fair number of games where Hamelin was the opponent and he had a tough time dealing with him. This is unfortunate, but I cannot see this being an issue with guild specifically.

On the new book in relation to guild, Guild gets lots of great stuff in the book.

Riflemen - great area control pieces that fit the mantra of good/cheap guild models with excellent ranged abilities.

Wastrels - a non-dog model that is significant and fast moving. These are great models that really address the guild's challenges with movement based schemes and strategies. Add in that they can take the blade relic that makes thier melee attacks magical.

Clockwork Traps - these are really nice and cheap tar-pit units that can hold models at range while the rest of the guild does its thing.

McCabe - highest wound stat in the game, near highest movement in the game, and able to move his crew along with him. Magical weapon, Armor, healing (which Guild does not have much of), slow/paralyze, decent AP management. Um, wow.. just wow.

And on the front of weak magical attacks, I present the following that provide Magical attacks for the guild:

• Witchling Stalkers - fantastic Magical Melee attack plus critical strike
  • Brutal Effigy - Melee Expert with a magical melee weapon plus critical strike
  • Sonnia Criid - Magic/Magic/and more Magic
  • Exorcist - aura of all melee weapons are magical now
  • Exorcist - magical ranged weapon
  • Witchling Handler - magical sword
  • Wastrels - possible magical melee weapon
  • and thats before we move to just plain spells that exist.

Personally, I do not think Guild is hurting much at all. I think that the areas where they were hampered before (primarily movement) have been addressed with some of the new models in book 4.

It really seems like @Hardlec has faced a fair number of games where Hamelin was the opponent and he had a tough time dealing with him. This is unfortunate, but I cannot see this being an issue with guild specifically.

Well, no one in my local area really cares for Hammy so I have no real experience with him, I can only address his stated concerns about magic and spirits.........which I don't believe is a huge problem for Guild.

Well, no one in my local area really cares for Hammy so I have no real experience with him, I can only address his stated concerns about magic and spirits.........which I don't believe is a huge problem for Guild.

I rarely see this brought up but has anyone else just sat back with Sonnia Cridd and just violation of Magic rats over and over again. Its kinda awesome. Also one of the easiest ways to get her unique scheme

I'll admit I'm dreading the day out local Outcasty player picks up Hammy. His Vickys and Levity are bad enough as it is, not to mention the mix of Rustyy, Ashy & Dusty, Jacky Dawy, Vony Shylly and Dysylytyyn Yngyny.

... sorry, managed to find a something that I equate with nails on a blackboard, never mind me, carry on. >.>

I rarely see this brought up but has anyone else just sat back with Sonnia Cridd and just violation of Magic rats over and over again. Its kinda awesome. Also one of the easiest ways to get her unique scheme

This does not work due to the Ravenous Rats ability stopping models from being summoned when rats are killed in its range. Its a shame really, as Sonnia would be a terror vs Hamelin otherwise.

The trick for fighting Hamelin is killing off the Rat Catchers and Hamelin. If they stick together things get really tough to deal with.

I was yesteray thinking, how would this list fare against hammy in 35ss:

Von Schill,

Jack Daw,

Hammelin,

2 Desperate mercs,

Sonnia

You cannot make a list like this. Too much merc for Sonnia, you can hire up to 2 mercs.

Btw it's a good base to start:

Sonnia (even avatar to shake off one insignificant)

minion Hamelin (rats cannot hurt it, obey/make ratcatchers/rats out from Voracious Rats aura, so Sonnia can make more Witchling stalker)

Jack Daw (has even uses when becomes insignificant/rats cannot hurt him)

Witchling Stalker (dispel purposes)

So a basic list:

Guild Crew - 35 - Scrap

Sonnia Criid -- 8 Pool

+ Sonnia, Avatar of Conflagration [2ss]

G.I. - Arcane Effigy [5ss]

Hamelin, The Ratcatcher [10ss]

Jack Daw [10ss]

Witchling Stalker [4ss]

Thoughts?

I wish Sonnia could hire arcane effigy. but she can't. Otherwise, looks fairly good. you might want to work it so you can take a gaurdian, though, because turning an insignificant Witchling into a witchling, or a rat (edit, doesn't work, just hit his other models)into a witchling is going to be important vs. Hammy.

Edited by Dracomax

Curse you. I'm supposed to be saving for a car.

Ofc. Blame me for your addiction. :P

Btw, you need to stay within 12" from minion Hamelin with that effigy or he dies. You've gotta use Jack Daw as a barrier to block charge lines and whatsoever because Hamelin chargin' and hitting stuff for 9+ dg hurts...

You cannot make a list like this. Too much merc for Sonnia, you can hire up to 2 mercs.

Ironically, whilst the list is illegal, its not too many mercs, its just they're not friekorps.

Von Schill removes the 2 mercs limit, but only allows the hiring of Friekorps as Mercs.

Ironically, whilst the list is illegal, its not too many mercs, its just they're not friekorps.

Von Schill removes the 2 mercs limit, but only allows the hiring of Friekorps as Mercs.

Von Schill does not remove the merc limit, he removed the SF limit on Freikorps. Two different limits.

Ok, well, anyway, we got a spin off from there, so its still good :)

Yea, I was really strugling with LJ against hammelin, so decided to go a different route.

Was thinking something along the lines of:

Hammelin, the minion obeys ratcatchers away from rats and sonnia burns them with blasts...

While JD denies parts of the board... Too bad von schill cant join the party though... :(

Good idea about the avatar removing the insignificant!

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

One more idea, could Sonnia violate the traps?

I lost a peacekeeper to rats. My "terror" was supposed to protect me. It didn't. The Ratcatchers never came in range.

I kill basket loads of rats, they just reappear.

As to the rest of your wonderful advice, this is why the guild came in closer to last than first right?

I put more victories on the map than losses, until the hamburgler rat machine. I will not play against this broken "thing." There remains nothing that will kill, as in remove from play without replacement, rats.

Please don't bother to tell me how to play with proxies for items that don't exist. It seems the guild is the last priority of production. I won't see any figs until Christmas. I'm still waiting on a pale rider.

Well, I have fire gamin to paint. In the cynical world of Malifaux, loyalty is a barrier to success.

As to the rest of your wonderful advice, this is why the guild came in closer to last than first right?

That's a very poor and ungrateful attitude toward people that were only trying to help you. In your earlier posts you mentioned magic and spirits more than you did Hamelin and his rats....so you got some feedback about magic and spirits....which you chose to completely ignore because it doesn't work against Hamelin - a totally different topic than magic and spirits. Why complain about something only to insult the people that try to help you?

As I mentioned in an earlier post I have no true experience against Hamelin so I can't help you in that regard except to say that he is on Wyrd's radar, much like the Dreamer was.

If my other advice in unwelcome I will stop giving it. Good luck and have a nice day.

Well, it seems the Guild did not get any new releases at GenCon. The results of the Guild in the tourneys seem weak. They seem to be losing in the league. ++ungood.

So what to do? A new master and some minions will be out eventually, and the ten puddle maker thing is speculation.

What positive things came out of GenCon?

Guild came first at a 20 person event over here in the UK back in July.

Ok, I'll give my experiences playing against Hamsquad.

Is it scary? Yes.

What can be done about it? Lots.

When playing against Hamelin you have to remember your objectives and stick to a rather strict target priority list. Don't rely on terrifying though having a peacekeeper and lucius wandering around will help loads.

Target priority should be :

Rat-Catchers

Rats out of the aura (To cut down on swarm together)

Nix if he's on the board (And you can get to him)

Stolen otherwise

And Hamelin last (Of course don't hold back if he becomes a target of opportunity)

To offer more specific advice which master(s) are you using? Who do the like the most? And who would you like to use against Hamelin more etc?