puppets legal malifaux models for official tournaments?

tadaka

Wyrd has officially stated on the forums (and I believe in the Puppet Wars Pattern or Rule Book) that Puppet Wars models are legal Malifaux models for play in Official Wyrd events. They are not considered proxies but alternate sculpts (at some point Malifaux cards depicting the Puppet Art but in all other ways the same as the represented model may become available for them, no time line or promises though).

Lol, you're playing the wrong board games then. There are TONS of fantastic, interesting, meaty games out there.

I wholeheartdly second this. Me and the guys I wargame with have a card/boardgame night once a week. There are so many good boardgames for adults as well as for the familiy.

You can check out Wil Wheatons Vlog Tabletop for some examples of these.

I agree that Puppet Wars doesn't play much like a board game, more like a portable Malifaux but that isn't a bad thing IMO.

I'm pretty sure that officially you can use the puppet models so long as no single sculpt is used to represent more than one thing, but you can use multiple puppets to represent the same model, i.e. no using two puppet Lady J's to represent a wicked doll and a marionette, but you CAN use four different puppets to each represent wicked dolls.

I haven't seen anything that states the above, however do know there are several Zoraida players that use them for Alternate Voodoo Dolls.

For simplicities sake it is probably best to just field them as the model they are named after (i.e Puppet Master Lady Justice as Lady Justice, etc) if using them for Malifaux games.

Also I probably should have qualified my earlier statement, Puppet Wars plays much different than the typical American Board Game that a younger non-gamer might be familiar with. I would agree that there are quite a few fantastic, intersting and meaty board games on the market (I have and enjoy a lot of them).

I do have to disagree with this though

...Puppet Wars doesn't play much like a board game, more like a portable Malifaux...

The two games are very differnt in how they play and how things interact. Yes there are a few similarities but it definately isn't "Malifaux Light" as I often hear it described.

• 2 months later...

I am picking up some Neverborn models for Malifaux and plan on using the pawns as alternate dolls but likely wouldn't try to push them off as more than that. For those that do, I would allow it in friendly games with no hesitation.

However, I doubt you will see a puppet Lady J being a legal Lady J model representative in a registered tournament. That said, I'm sure someone could make a very nice looking crew with nothing but puppets. It is always up to the tournament organizer if substitute models are allowed. In the case of an Official Tournament, that means Wyrd has the final say...we have to live with that.

Once the new puppets come out, I suspect I may run a Zoraida crew with (Malifaux) Zoraida, and (puppet wars) Hooded rider, silurids, bad juju, mature nephalim, sorrows, baby kade... and any other neverborn bits that I may have forgotten... and maybe convict gunslinger too.

However, as mentioned around the place, I very much doubt I'd use this in a proper tournament... not that I'm likely to attend many proper tournaments anyway...