Viruk's paintlog

Viruk

It does look over sized and grotesque but despite that I really like the effect.. I think it goes well with the Teddy fluff and I can always say that the imperfections are the result of Widow having a bad day ;)

In my group we were joking that the Widow should be able to make the Puppet Wars sized Teddies if she's feeling particularly rushed.

How do you count your painting backlog? o.O

I started 2013 with 36 unpainted (though mostly assembled and primed) Malifaux minix. Each time I paint something from these, I change the number.

Also, if you find a good deal for a whole Reaper range shipped to PL, let me know. I love their paints, they're some of the best I know. I have 3 sets coming from their KS but I still want more...

I missed that KS... I'll be probably ordering these late in the summer but no problem, I'll let you know once I get round to doing that.

• 3 weeks later...

post-8493-13911929409533_thumb.jpg

I can officially say now that this one has moved up to my top 3 favorite Malifaux minis. It's a very tight list so I'm not able to say exactly which spot he's taken but he's there for sure.

The miniature is so full of character and so well sculpted and painting it has been a great

experience. It's also been quite a challenge.

Mr Graves is not human, making a long story short he's a Neverborn in disguise so I decided to paint his skin using a very pale shade, emphasizing it with a very light blue glaze. While doing it I needed to make sure his white shirt is still distinct enough and doesn't blend with the skin tone.

Black trousers, shoes and vest were another challenge. I tried to keep the shade of black on clothes and shoes slightly different. As always, I struggled with taking pics that would show these effects well and ended up choosing mostly pictures taken with better daylight. In real life he's not that shiny, I just wanted to make sure the different shades of colors are visible in the pictures. You can see more pics on my blog.

post-8493-13911929416274_thumb.jpg

The mini is nicely designed but I thought he felt somehow empty on his own. I added a small girl from Hasslefree Miniatures and painted her using bright, vivid colors. She provided a colorful counterpoint to dark Mr Tannen. More pics here.

Stunning.

You've done a fantastic job on both the black and the white which IMO are the hardest colours to get right.

Good call on the addition of that little girl, she adds that little something that the model needed. plus, her vibrant colours placed alongside Tannen's (almost) monochrome give and artsy cinematic feel.

Very creepy looking mr. Tannen and kudos for Skrillex video.

I don't know how Tannen works inside game mechanics, but is it possible that Candy could pwn Tannen as it happens to the pedo in fore mentioned video? I know that Candy basically is a healer, but she's hard to kill.

I know that this girl isn't Candy, I just had that scenario in my head since I've seen Candy's artwork for M2.

Sorry for the spam. I just love how you brought this model to life, full on creepshow style.

Edited by Linus Mcmold
wouldn't let me write pedo_phile

Yeah, I agree, it might be seen as creepy but my main goal was to break the slightly too uniform look on Tannen.

@Linus Mcmold - I guess it might work in game if Candy managed to successfully cast self-loathing on Tannen. Also, she could cut him up with her scissors ;)

post-8493-13911929495621_thumb.jpg

I painted these following the color scheme from the artwork. The main exception is that I chose to paint "human" eyes instead of glowing ones. They were hard enough to get right this way. Besides, I thought that since these are supposed to be succubi-like creatures that lure men and then consume their lives, they should look less demonic.

It was mainly a an exercise in painting skin tones. Malifaux plastics tend to have more smooth surfaces than the metal miniatures. As a result, placing highlights on them is a bit trickier and requires more time and effort. I think the olive skinned one turned out better but that's probably in general I feel more comfortable when I paint darker colors.

I also experimented with transparent look on her tights. I haven't done it before so I guess the effect is not bad. Bigger pics can be found here.

I love the green dress beckoner. She has much more character and I love the color scheme.

In my opinion the red dressed one should have a darker toned skin and it looks great on yours, but there is something missing for her to stand out.

Your painting style looks flawless. At least from my amateuristic perspecitve.