The Pockets Somer Teeth Jones Diary 2012

magicpockets

Mozzies > Austringers. Equally, you have the option of getting pigs onto them before they can shoot you. If they are intending on using Lucius to advance placement them, then he is alpha stankable/piglet pokeable and you get a war of attrition against his soulstone cache, which isn't too hard if you are denying his cards.

Vs Kirai, if the strategy/schemes have her needing to come to you more than you go to her, you have a strong advantage. Mosquitoes like Seishin given pull my finger does 2 magic Dg, Kirai hates not having the correct suits available to her when you deny her hand. Piglets give you methods of getting to Seishin that aren't :pulse but if you hit multiple Seishin at the same time anyway, they all die before it can save them from that one spell.

Neverborn are going to be the worst of the bunch really.

Edited by Spiku

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Gremlins only have a bad matchup vs Hamelin, really, I dont think they'll have trouble with anything else. They're one of the few lists around with enough options to deal with just about anything.

And even Hamelin can be gotten around. They have a number of tools available to them that can cause him serious issues.

I generally refuse to use skeeter chain; I do agree on starting players, but I like to think in my heart of heart that people wouldn't drop Austringers in a first timer or that a starting Gremlin player would A) be starting with other people, so should have bought the skeeters to go with Som'er if their friends/opponents have Austringers or B) has played before and just starting with Gremlins would already know how important totems can be.

It's hard for me because I never had a problem with them because as soon as my opponent said they could hit me without LoS, I played to beat it and that was as Ophelia! Raph claimed some heads that day I can tell you.

An Austringer heavy Lucius list could prove problematic. Theres the Dreamer. People say Sonnia, but as soon as she's in range, I'm in range. Kirai could be hard. You do have some good magic attacks but not buckets of them.

The Austringer/ Lucius/ Drill Sergeant list is horrible for almost everone as is the Dreamer.

Kirai I dont consider that awful of a matchup, Gremlins have plenty of ways of forcing a dilema for her (without the magic attacks). Blasting the hell out her Seishin is a great start, and of course the Stuffed Piglet Assasination run during the End Closing Phase is another.

They're one of the few lists around with enough options to deal with just about anything.

And even Hamelin can be gotten around. They have a number of tools available to them that can cause him serious issues.

Definately agree with this Calmdown, Gremlins are a great all around force.

As for Hamelin (and Levi for that matter), once you remember that you can use still use A Gremlins Luck on their crews (just not them) to force discards they lose a bit of bite (it is still a tough matchup though).

An Austringer heavy Lucius list could prove problematic. Theres the Dreamer. People say Sonnia, but as soon as she's in range, I'm in range. Kirai could be hard. You do have some good magic attacks but not buckets of them.

You may be in range, but you may not have LoS if she's pulling explosive blast shenanigans. If she can manage to find a way in around all the the outactvation that is.

Just got given So'mer by my regular opponent as he bought the box but only likes the alt sculpt. have my Kin nearly ready to rumble. Seeing as it seems there will be a lot of Green meat in my upcoming games for and against I will endeavour ro stick my oar into this thread in anyway I consider helpful...however I doubt I'll be able to contribute anything that people who are actually any good at this game (and, I get the impression, far more ruthless than me) can't.

• 1 month later...

Just played my first two games with Somer against Oshova to start learning his mechanics, it was very interesting :)

First 25ss game I stuck with Piglets, Gremlins and Skeeters and lost to Chompy 8-0, but I got a feel for the mechanics and learnt from a few mistakes. Second game (35ss) was against LadyJ and I stuck to the same core but added in Raphael and Rami who I used to use with Zoraida, and won 8-0. Thoughts -

1. Pull my finger is brilliant and I'm surprised it doesn't have a resist. Between a few shots from Rami and PMF from 3x Skeeters and Somer LadyJ just died to wound attrition
  2. The card strip spell is great but I felt it was difficult with Skeeters on low wounds (I'm wondering if that's why they only tart with three wounds?)
  3. I need to get more sophisticated with wound resource management, I feel in hindsight I was overusing Reckless (esp on Bayou Gremlins) and leaving them with very few wounds
  4. Somer is a much less offensive Master than I'm used to and that's a bit strange to play. I did get a few shots off, but most of the time found myself summoning gremlins and giving out healing flips (he can give these to himself to right?)
  5. piglets are awesome with Pigcharge, I love the ht and run approach they have
  6. Gremlins are insane fast and can very quickly cover a lot of ground which seems great fr late objective runs
  7. I found myself turtling a lot - is that he right approach?

Overall though, VERY impressed - and that's two games in and without Ophelia or a Pigapult

My initial reaction is that it's "OP" so to speak, but we'll see how we go. I just get the impression that used right Gremlins can lay down so much damage that they're much more powerful than people give them credit for, I think we're in for "Somer is broken" but it's still early days. They are reminding me of when I started with Pandora though for some reason.

My initial reaction is that it's "OP" so to speak, but we'll see how we go. I just get the impression that used right Gremlins can lay down so much damage that they're much more powerful than people give them credit for, I think we're in for "Somer is broken" but it's still early days. They are reminding me of when I started with Pandora though for some reason.

Well with Pandy, you're chucking out a lot of damage that isn't really that defendable. (Especially how you play her)

And that is the same effect you are seeing from PMF.

I don't get how there is NO resist on that at all. Between Skeeters and Somer you can chuck out 14 wounds pretty easily. That is crazy! Especially with no resist.

My thoughts on the games: Game 1 - It was going your way, until the terrifying hit I think. But that was partly down to me not knowing my rules properly =p

Game 2 - Initiative on 1 turn was all it took to swing the game from being pretty even, over into being a win for you. But even then there was opportunities for me to get a draw. And it was an 8-4 win, not 8-0 =p

I could see the similarity. There damage output is excellent but the guns can be terrorized into dust. 14 wds with no resist interesting. As to not getti g the credit its cause they arie hard to use well. And again great at killing poor at manuever without pigapult. Wp huge balancing factor. I think the only eye raisee is the unresiatable wds

But not being a Henchman (and being anti-celebrities on here so to speak) seems to mean we don't get asked for input, despite us both doing more for this game (I mean off the forum) than some of the Henchmen I know of.

I'm a henchman and don't get asked for $$$$$$$$ - I guess that says a lot about people opinions of me lol

Somer can indeed heal himself with Take a Swig.

Considered taking a Rat to sac with Larva? Should help get around the wounds problem. And yes, I find Somer does tend to turtle alot. Mike3838 will tell you from the Doubles that most of our deployments were a tad dull ...

But Somer is indeed broken!

• Pull my finger is brilliant and I'm surprised it doesn't have a resist. Between a few shots from Rami and PMF from 3x Skeeters and Somer LadyJ just died to wound attrition
  • The card strip spell is great but I felt it was difficult with Skeeters on low wounds (I'm wondering if that's why they only tart with three wounds?)
  • I need to get more sophisticated with wound resource management, I feel in hindsight I was overusing Reckless (esp on Bayou Gremlins) and leaving them with very few wounds
  • Somer is a much less offensive Master than I'm used to and that's a bit strange to play. I did get a few shots off, but most of the time found myself summoning gremlins and giving out healing flips (he can give these to himself to right?)
  • piglets are awesome with Pigcharge, I love the ht and run approach they have
  • Gremlins are insane fast and can very quickly cover a lot of ground which seems great fr late objective runs
  • I found myself turtling a lot - is that he right approach?

Overall though, VERY impressed - and that's two games in and without Ophelia or a Pigapult

Those are key lessons to learn with Some'r. Resource and Wound management are key to running them effectively. As far as gremlin speed, have you tried the Pig Ladders yet?

I would generally agree that Some'r isn't a Beat stick himself (definately more of a Turtle) however, dont under estimate his Damage potential (think of him as a cowardly support master that depends upon his crew to weaken the enemy so he can deliver the coup de grace).

I don't get how there is NO resist on that at all. Between Skeeters and Somer you can chuck out 14 wounds pretty easily. That is crazy! Especially with no resist.

The big problem with it is that it is also very telegraphed and difficult to pull off without the expenditure of a lot of resources (skeeters are only successful 30% of the time even with cheating, and of course Control Cards and SoulStones are something that are usually in short supply in a Some'r crew). To pull off 7 Pull My Fingers your opponent pretty much has to come to you (something that they wont do often once they have experienced the Alpha Stank) unless you use Pig Ladders to move Some'r up (which will leave him exposed for a turn). Also the Skeeters hurt each other when they cast it if they are within the :pulse. It is a good tactic but something that isn't as dominating as you would think (I would be more concerned about them spamming A Gremlin's Luck which has a better range and is easier for the skeeters to cast).