Well, now I'm committed

Wolfgar

I finally picked up the Collette box at my friendly local game store today. The cashier warned me she was broken, but I really just love the character too much to care. :)

Now just to paint her. Which will be the first model I've ever painted. Now I'm terrified.

That's awesome...She warned you or was that her sales pitch??

:colette

"Seriously, she's broken...."

"Oh, then can I have two?"

Eric J

I'd go with "full of surprises" rather than "broken". Once you're aware of what she can do, she's fine, it just takes longer to get there than with most other masters.

It's why I picked her. Well, one of the reasons anyway. I wanted a model that was more full of tricks than straight damage.

She's broken in the sense that new players facing her don't know all of her tricks, and so can't adjust their strategy to counter them.

...and in the sense that new Collette players might not catch on to all her tricks very quickly and lose...a lot. I've seen it go both ways with new players and Colette.

• 2 weeks later...

Just remember a few things:

1) Don't over-rely on your Coryphee or Cassandra. They may be tanky, but they can still be killed easily enough if you overextend and leave them where they can get ganged up on.

2) It's really tempting to just burn soulstones like crazy with Colette, and it's true that you don't need to be as stingy with them as other masters have to be, but you still want to be somewhat careful that you don't run out. Once you're out of soulstones, your crew becomes a lot more vulnerable (and Colette goes from being one of the hardest masters to kill to being an easy target). And even if Colette can make more soulstones, there are going to be times when you don't want to discard any of the cards in your hand. So it's usually a good idea to have a soulstone or two reserved in your pool or a dove hanging around, juuuust in case you really need it.

3) Memorize. Your. Cards. Colette and her crew have a lot of abilities, and you need to know almost all of them for the crew to work at peak efficiency. Often times a single little ability on the card will be the difference between winning and losing a match (for instance, forgetting that Colette gets :+fate on any soulstone flip she does, or that she buffs Showgirl Wp in an aura around her, or that Mannequins have Object as well as armor, etc)

Downright zippy.

Which is good, honestly. I dislike spending turns slowly inching my way up the table until I can finally engage my opponent.

Heh, I would not have expected such a complaint about malifaux, which to my eye starts with the models extremely close to begin with, making first and second turn combat pretty much guaranteed. I'm much more used to games where you can have a couple turns of pure maneuvering before getting stuck in. Not saying one is inherently better than the other.

Heh, I would not have expected such a complaint about Malifaux, which to my eye starts with the models extremely close to begin with, making first and second turn combat pretty much guaranteed. I'm much more used to games where you can have a couple turns of pure maneuvering before getting stuck in. Not saying one is inherently better than the other.

It's more of a general statement than a complaint about Malifaux-I have almost no complaints about Malifaux. :)

I'm much more used to games where you can have a couple turns of pure maneuvering before getting stuck in.

This is a big part of the reasons why Collette is my all time fave though. You can spend the entire game sticking and moving. It's not terribly uncommon with Collette to score 8VPs having killed a total of one model, lol. Just try not to get stuck in. ;)

She's not broken IMO. Strong yes, but as others have said everyone has strengths & weaknesses. The issue people have with Colette is you can't pin her down in a fight, and she's incredibly mobile. The other issue & this frustrated me greatly was she can use soulstones like mad to keep her army alive. However if she runs low or even out it's hurt time.

From what I've seen she tends to have trouble packing a punch and taking casualties, each piece she has is relatively expensive & losing one of them hurts. But a lot of her army can use soulstones, to this end I recommend starting with a cache of 6 or 7, that's what my friend does anyway.

Welcome to the game.

Yeah, it seems the biggest weakness in the showgirl crew that I can tell is they just seem to lack any kind of really strong offense, especially ranged offense.

Is it better if i keep the crew mostly together, since they have a lot of bits that synergize well, or better if I keep them spread out?