Brush care tips?

cardshark

1. Do not use for dry brushing, ever :)

2. Do not let paint get under the ferrule (which is the metal part that grips the base of the bristles. If it does, rinse your brush right away to get it out, because if it dries in there it will ruin your tip. The best way not to get paint under the ferrule is not to load the brush with too much paint.

3. Clean it when you are finished. I recommend Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver. Very, very good, and will even rescue some brushes you thought were dead.

4. Store with the tip protector on. I don't think what position you store it in really matters, but I store mine tip up.

1. Always dip your brushes as far into the paint pot as they will go. It's actually not a bad idea to mash the bristles around on the bottom of the pot as well.

2. Clean your brushes with 600-800 grit sandpaper. This will clean much more paint from the bristles. Scrub vigorously.

3. After cleaning, use the brush soak up a thin mix of paint and water, and let this dry in the bristles. It will condition the bristles to accept paint more readily later. Also, set them point-down in a jar to dry.

4. Never listen to Bexley.

1. Do not use for dry brushing, ever :)

2. Do not let paint get under the ferrule (which is the metal part that grips the base of the bristles. If it does, rinse your brush right away to get it out, because if it dries in there it will ruin your tip. The best way not to get paint under the ferrule is not to load the brush with too much paint.

3. Clean it when you are finished. I recommend Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver. Very, very good, and will even rescue some brushes you thought were dead.

4. Store with the tip protector on. I don't think what position you store it in really matters, but I store mine tip up.

A loud second to all of these suggestions, especially the Brush cleaner (you'd be surprised how much pigment is actually left on the brust even after vigorous cleaning with water).

1. Always dip your brushes as far into the paint pot as they will go. It's actually not a bad idea to mash the bristles around on the bottom of the pot as well.

2. Clean your brushes with 600-800 grit sandpaper. This will clean much more paint from the bristles. Scrub vigorously.

3. After cleaning, use the brush soak up a thin mix of paint and water, and let this dry in the bristles. It will condition the bristles to accept paint more readily later. Also, set them point-down in a jar to dry.

4. Never listen to Bexley.

I think a lot of our Regulars when I was working for GW went to the Bexley school of brush care. I always loved pulling out a brush that was new earlier in the week to find it was just a single hair with a blob of acrylic on the end.

A few things that have not been mentioned yet:

1) Try to rinse your brush out between every trip from the mini. Just a quick swirl in the water to make sure paint isn't drying.

2) After swirling the brush in the water use your tongue to form the point back and suck the bit of water in the brush out. You can also use a paper towel but your tongue is faster.

3) Store your brush with the bristles UP with nothing covering them after forming the point with your fingers,tongue, or paper towel. This lets it dry quickly and maintains the point.

4) Get a puck of the Masters Brush Soap. The stuff is pixie dust, unicorn horn, and black magic all rolled into one. My wife left one of my W&N brushes full of paint over night (I was not happy), 4 applications of the soap to clean it out and it was like nothing had happened.

*Note* to use the soap you put a drop of water on the puck, swirl your brush on the soap to load the bristles with soap, then rub the brush into the palm of your hand, rinse and repeat until you stop pulling color out of the brush. When you are done find a clean spot on the puck and load the brush with some clean soap, form the bristles to a nice point, and then store the brush like normal. DO NOT rinse it out. When you are ready to paint again just swirl in your water pot.

5) Make sure you are thinning your paints enough. Adding some water will just make it flow better and give you more consistent results. The amount that is needed depends on the color. Some I mix 50/50 others only get 1 drop.

But the most important thing to remember is that these are very well made brushes. They are not some super fragile thing that will be ruined if you look at it funny. As long as you use them like a sensible adult don't tap into your inner 2nd grader you will be fine.

2) After swirling the brush in the water use your tongue to form the point back and suck the bit of water in the brush out. You can also use a paper towel but your tongue is faster.

This kinda makes me cringe, but I won't judge. There is a lengthy discussion about brush licking here.

Some people swear by it, but if you are just starting out and developing your own habits, I'd suggest against this particular one. You can paint just as well without putting your brush in your mouth. I personally rinse, wipe on a damp paper towel, and then twist as I am dipping from my wet pallet. Makes a perfect point each time and at no time does paint touch my tongue. Just something to think about.

thanks for all of the tips- i have been using it the last couple of time, and i am amazed at how easily it comes back to it's point, and how less frequently i have to go back and dip for more paint- it holds a lot more in the bristles than my cheap ones, and nowhere near the metal part.

i have been rinsing in water and then running the bristles through a crook in my palm to get the point back, occasionally lick too, but only after rinsing in water, not straight from painting. have been storing in the plastic tube it came in, will start leaving out to dry first.

good to know about that soap, i will def get one. And i am trying to get away from dry brushing altogether, and focus on only applying paint exactly where i want it- a tough habit to break though! easier to avoid with thin paint and a wet brush though.

And i am trying to get away from dry brushing altogether, and focus on only applying paint exactly where i want it- a tough habit to break though! easier to avoid with thin paint and a wet brush though.

No need to eliminate a technique completely (after all it has its uses) just use cheap nylon bristle brushes for drybrush duty.

. And i am trying to get away from dry brushing altogether, and focus on only applying paint exactly where i want it- a tough habit to break though!

Trying to break myself of that too. Dont think Ive ever painted a mini that I did not drybrush on. Now though; thanks to people like Ratty making me want to stomp all my minis into shameful little bits; Id like to step my skill up to the next level and learn that layering is more then inking a robe's fold.

2 things. Agree with not licking the brush. Couldn't quit smoking and I can't quit licking that stupid brush.....just don't start.

Something that hasn't been mentioned;

Don't use your good brushes with metallic paints. The flecks of mineral in it will tear up the natural hairs. Get some cheap throw-aways for that, or use a NMM technique.