General views on Bete Noire

the_madhatter1

I'm still learning to use her, but vs living she has certainly proved devastating. As for playing her with seamus, I'd say hell yeah to that since now you have two models with slit jugular, if you attack a non master model when their hand is almost depleted, that can be an easy kill right there, no matter how big tough or burly you may be, and after a long turn, leaving the enemy with 2 cards or even one ain't that crazy. I lost a Shikome to seamus even though I had 3 cards simply because I couldn't allow myself to discard any.

Anyway, I'm very inclined to add punk zombies with my seamus lists to get punch, so that the bete doesn't do that much damage without the trigger doesn't really ruin my groove that much.

She can also dish out Insignificant to enemy models pretty easy with Marked for Death. Given the proper scenario, in a Seamus list you can really stop your opponent from competing any of the strats and schemes with Excessive Bleeding and Marked for Death. You can also paralyze and activate Slit Jugular. Discard two cards or die, or that model can't do anything, yes please. Also, if a model receives slow twice, isn't is Paralyzed? Mutilate on a non living model twice gives you the same effect, and if you flurry you have to attack one model with all of those strikes anyway.

9pts is a hefty investment, but I think she is worth it.

Also, if a model receives slow twice, isn't is Paralyzed? Mutilate on a non living model twice gives you the same effect, and if you flurry you have to attack one model with all of those strikes anyway.

Not sure where you got this, but I don't think it's correct. I've never heard of it, and the RM simply says "Action modifiers with the same name do not stack."

Nothing about Slow+Slow=Paralyzed. If you're Slow and get Slow again you're... Slow :)

There may be a specific effect out there that does this (probably Neverborn, I'm sure ;) ) but as a general rule, no.

I use her sometimes with Seamus, I find shes a lot better with Nico and McMourning though for all the reasons mentioned above with Nico being her best master fit (goes to paired Cb8 and Df9 under the effects of bolster). Shes a good model but not a must for me with Seamus anymore, it will depend on what faction I am up against.

I've been trying out bette in both my Nico and Seamus crews. She's a lot of points for what she does. Nico I'm really liking how she works in his crew. The fact that you can produce corpse counters to make up for the 9pts spent on betty helps a lot. As well as being a list that is predicated on bring models back Bette fits well. The biggest problem with bette is most of her use is against non-Neverborn so depending on your local meta your mileage with her may vary. With Seamus typically Hanged is infinitely more useful and for the same points as Spaghetti you get a Hanged and a Grave Spirit which works better with Seamus' natural abilities.

I don't see her uses with Kirai and I don't have a McMourning as of yet. But I'm not fully sold on what Bette does even in a Nico list. More testing required.

I like to take Bette when I use McMourning. Usually when you play McMourning, you want to activate him relatively last, so you don't get eaten alive by the opponents crew after he has done his actions. Now usually if you can get the good doctor into close quarters with an enemy model, then I am pretty sure that they will die. Just from my experience XD What is great about this is that it makes the bette come in, usually after the opponent has activated all of their models so she can go loose.

Bette is an awesome and scary model to see lined up after people have chosen crews, if anything she is a pretty big psychological factor that your opponent has to take into consideration as well.

Could you guys explain why you don't take her against Neverborn? I realize that her paralyze ability doesn't work against non-living but wouldn't slit jugular still be a good trigger to get off on them? tie that in with flurry and you're bound to get it off at least once XD

I don't because most of the very popular NB minions come from book 2 and are all constructs or non-living, and so you are counting on the death of one of your models to be the death who trigger's Bete's arrival, and should she go back to being buried it will be your models' deaths that need to bring her out again.

Twins

Stitched

Collodi

Marionettes

Wicked Dolles

Insidious Madness

Primordial Magic

Poltergeist

Voodoo Doll

Bad Juju

Hooded Rider

Teddy

The Dreamer

Chompy

Daydreams

Alps

Coppelius

So basically just about any NB crew aside from a Lilith list is going to be full of models who's death won't trigger Bete.

I don't because most of the very popular NB minions come from book 2 and are all constructs or non-living, and so you are counting on the death of one of your models to be the death who trigger's Bete's arrival, and should she go back to being buried it will be your models' deaths that need to bring her out again.

But, frankly speaking, you almost always want her to come out from your model being killed or sacrificed by the opponent. That is not only the most survivable way to deploy her, but also the way to get flurry off.

I get a lot of mileage out of her in McM crews. The extra hitting power and potential for paralyse can really eat up an opponents hand plus the risk of slit jugular. I wouldn't bother in a Seamus crew as the belle/punk combo or a hanged seem far more reliable in support of Seamus. In a nico list she has so many opportunities to arise buffed she's really unstoppable.

I run a lot of canines with McM to defer activation, secure objectives quickly and threaten low Def models so Bete always has plenty of chances to pop out. Throwing dogs at high power models to slow them down and create a corpse is awesome. If you're arising from an opponents model you really are doing it wrong. If an opponent has a chance to removing the threat he will, you want the chance to flurry on an unactivated key model. That said with a high def and one with the night she will chew up a lot of actions to permanently take down.

I don't see it as a big risk to keep one 10 in my hand for her. She hits quite reliably and therefore doesn't need as many cards from your hand to lay the smack down.

I don't see her key ability of paralyse as the main bonus, yes it's great against masters etc but with Cb6 paired and a double positive to dmg she has a good chance of taking down many models in one flurry + fast action even with the lowish 2/3/4 spread.

Has anyone tried her with Kirai?

My thought:

- Drop one Seishin for a Canine Remains

- Kill the Canine first turn. Bete and Seishin have a race to see who pops out first, but you get both.

- Lost Love turns Bete into a spirit for the game

It's soulstone-neutral and you end up with a moderately tougher Bete that can be Swirled into combat to take full advantage of Flurry and Paralyzing fun. You don't even really have to worry about taking the action to heal her up - just send her in as-is, and bury her when she dies. But if you're inclined to heal her, her low real wounds make it easy to get her back in form.

You'd be reliant on your opponent's models to pop her back out again, so it could be a dicey proposition depending on what you're facing. She's also relatively expensive for what you normally see in a Kirai crew, but she's close enough cost-wise that she could fill the role of something like Datsue-ba pretty well.

The problem with bete in a Kirai list is that it's so fidgety compared to just bringing a shikome or a more independent undead model (rogue necromancy, dead rider, hell, even a punk zombie or rotten belle) that what you get just doesn't seem to stack up anymore.

Why would this be the case?

You lose a total of two AP and one wound to convert her to a Spirit, and especially early at least one of those would likely be wasted anyway (the Lost Love).

I can certainly see the argument about her in general, but I'm not sure why it would be any better or worse with Kirai than any other master.

Using her in Kirai is very tough because almost nothing in the Kirai lineup is undead. Bete only jumps in if a living or undead model dies, so you have to count on your opponents models dying in order to bring her out. So you are counting on your opponent to bring living or undead models to use her with. Also in order to turn her into a spirit, not only does she need to be on the table, but near the Lost Love whose spell range on the turn into spirit spell is very short, and you also need the high card to make it work.

Personelly I enjoy creating chaos with her and her perfect dance partner killjoy in a MCM crew. Yes the cost is extreme but by using fast moving objective getters with the slow to die like necropunks you get the chance to reach your enemies lines and dive bomb their crew with two melee monsters. Use killjoy first most likingly kill someone giving Bete her smell of death "fast" on her activition. And just maybe the the good Doc is around to heal her on a zero or use her for a quick kill/bury heal for Getting MCM fully up and running. Bring her back later as backup probably when killjoy drops off....She is a fun fig to have running around enjoy the mayham..

I nurse and student of conflict a lone necropunk, and send it out. I can usually surgically cripple a team between flurry on the punk, bete, and killjoy.

Necropunk with fast, +2/+2 Wk/Cg, +4 Cb, reactivate, and a + on damage flips is nasty.

Leap, then triple move gets you 27" of movement, 9 of which ignore terrain and obstacles. He can also climb and ignore severe terrain penalties. The good doctor will go nuts on his totem, then if possible can try and go for broke on a dog or two.

She is solid. Not broken, but solid.

This game, more than most other games, leans to your own play style and lets you tinker with lists to a greater degree.

I find great fun in a Seamus list. But my usual opponents include all the guild, gremlins and levi. She's fun to drop in when a waif has bit the entropic dust.

• 1 month later...