Just one thing that has improved your painting

Sholto

This is going to sound horrible and cheesy but speed painting 120 40k Ork boyz and 90 Skaven Clanrats. The repetition and working hard to paint fast but neat really helped with brush control and color selection.

The other thing that goes with this is DO NOT paint one mini, strip it, and try again over and over. Finish the unit or move on to something else first. Being able to look back at your progress will help a ton and can give you a better perspective on how to mak teh mini better. It will also mean you have a fully painted army/unit on the table instead of being in a permanent state primer.

Looking at my first batch of Ork Boyz next to my 5th batch of Ork Boys the jump in quality is insane. Add in the first batch of 30 took ~25 min per mini vs the last batch taking ~13 min per mini and it's even more impressive.

Can anyone recommend one of these magnifier thingies?

I've never used one before but I'm sure I'd prefer one that wasn't attached to me face.

A cheaper trick is getting a pair of cheap reading glasses from a dollar store. My wife uses a pair for painting and other crafts and loves them. Cost her $2 and work just as nice as the more expensive "professional" magnifiers.

Edited by Backno

The one thing that has really changed my painting is the use of matte medium. It is basically clear paint, so when mixed with other paint it will make the paint more transluscent without becoming as fluid as simply thinning the paint would. This allows for thin layers for better blending without losing the controlability of the paint.

Thats easy! For Black Templars Spray black, dry brusy very dark grey (optional) and add a couple of White crosses. Done. :D Thats how alot of peoples Templars look to me! :D

What I meant is that people were insisting that painting should be done quickly. "Just get it done!" was basically the idea they were shoving done everyone's throat. Once I got over that idea, not only was I able to improve my painting far beyond where I was at, I actually was able to speed up my painting abilities.

The other big thing, would be to just have fun with stuff!

Cant just say one thing for me but its more like 3-4

Getting good brushes, this makes an enormous difference, since I changed to my Windsor Newtosn 3-4 years ago my painting improved because I had more control, 90% of the work I do including most of the detail work is done with a size 1.

Thinning paints, makes everything flow a lot easier and layer better, I dont always thin every colour in every layer but having a damp brush and slightly thinned paints works.

Painting minis I like, made a big change when I started with Wyrds line, I have never felt any mini of theirs a chore to paint because I like them, I have struggled in the past getting minis done because of this (actually I tell a lie I am struggling with the kneeling Austringer, hes been about 70% done for 6 months now and I just cant motivate myself to finish him, he is just not grabbing my attention)

Finally ...Time and striving to improve

I'd have to say: the internet! I started painting minis as a teenager in the early 90s, when having internet access was still not a commonplace thing. For example, we didn't have a PC at home until I was 19. My painting supplies all came from my FLGS, which didn't have a tremendous range. If I had questions or problems, I couldn't just do a Google search or ask on the forums. Now, there's so much great info available online and so many talented painters on various forums who are willing to help. It really makes a huge difference and I'm very grateful for it.

Moving to Sydney.

I know Turelio (who most of you might remember from his Pandora crew *shudder* and Irish Seamus) through Da Warpath, another forum we both use. So we knew of each others' existance, but weren't able to meet until I moved here last year from Brisbane. Since then, I've moved closer to his area through sheer coincidence (I moved closer to work) and now do regular painting nights with him and other local Australia Golden Demon entrants & winners.

It's amazing how far your painting jumps when you're around that much talent :bounce:

Cheers!

Borzag (just an FYI my painting isn't that great still, but I can sculpt a mean tree....)

I don't know if it counts as "improving painting", but bringing myself to airbrush some of the stuff on the models made the experience 100x better.

At the moment I limit myself to airbrushing the dominating color and highlighting it... after that I switch to brush. I still layer a lot, but at least I don't spend hours layering basic colors anymore.

I wish I could do this though:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmZxi5071bU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmZxi5071bU[/ame]