Pere Ravage - a bit too good?

Math Mathonwy

Marcus Crews could try using Waldgeists (from Neverborn faction) against Pere. Use them to move forests to his way to slow him down and cover your crew from Gremlin shooting. If you get near enough and can toss a forest on Pere you're good to go as you can then go ahead and use Entangle on him to prevent him from moving. The Waldgeists can also attack him through the forest and are fairly resistant to attacks with their Armor 2.

-Ropetus

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably old news to most, but I just realized how slingshot Pere a lot further. The crews are usually about 36" apart at the start.

Ophelia walks, Ooo it's a girl on Pere and like herding squirrels. Pere has now moved 6" plus Ophelia's base so approx 7". 29" to go. Ophelia shoots Pere twice. With her paired this shouldn't hurt Pere and with :masks from the aura he Squeels away. Now he has moved 15".

Now, if you have the cards (highish masks for defense), you could make Rami walk and then shoot Pere twice more, so it'd be 23". Then Pere walks twice and goes boom. 39" threat range. 31" without needing anything special in your hand.

Probably old news to most, but I just realized how slingshot Pere a lot further. The crews are usually about 36" apart at the start.

Ophelia walks, Ooo it's a girl on Pere and like herding squirrels. Pere has now moved 6" plus Ophelia's base so approx 7". 29" to go. Ophelia shoots Pere twice. With her paired this shouldn't hurt Pere and with :masks from the aura he Squeels away. Now he has moved 15".

Now, if you have the cards (highish masks for defense), you could make Rami walk and then shoot Pere twice more, so it'd be 23". Then Pere walks twice and goes boom. 39" threat range. 31" without needing anything special in your hand.

Squeel! only works against enemy melee attacks.

-Ropetus

Squeel! only works against enemy melee attacks.

Holy crap I cheated a lot last night o_O (mostly on taking it on enemy shooting attacks, I only used it on my own attacks once *sigh*)... This game is too complicated (aka I should read the abilities each game and not just go on memory). Against Silveri I've been playing it correctly, though (hooray for non-shooty enemies).

And since Obey can't lead to suicide, once the Oopsie has gone off, Pere can't be obeyed to perform it against the Gremlins. But yeah, at the end of the day, Obey is nasty against him.

I don't believe this is true. "Oopsie" is not a guaranteed kill, so Pere can perform it even when it could possibly kill him.

I've played against Pere Ravage a lot, and in my opinion, if you get hit by only 1 Oopsie your opponent screwed up. Ideally Pere'll be close enough to do it twice (and cheat both casting flips), often against 3+ high value targets. The threat range is somewhat smaller, but it's far more devastating.

One of the best counters I've come across so far is Hamelin (minion): everyone can play him, the other gremlins can't deal with him and he can dominate the board from a very long way away.

I don't believe this is true. "Oopsie" is not a guaranteed kill, so Pere can perform it even when it could possibly kill him.

This is true. You can't Obey models to take Actions that have a cost of killing or sacrificing the model. Neither can a model ever take Actions that cost Wd and would reduce them to 0 Wd. However, causing Dg to self, even if it might kill you, is perfectly fine. Pere needs to be super careful of models which can take control of him.

-Ropetus

Ah. I can see the logic - thank you for pointing it out! :)

I've played against Pere Ravage a lot, and in my opinion, if you get hit by only 1 Oopsie your opponent screwed up. Ideally Pere'll be close enough to do it twice (and cheat both casting flips), often against 3+ high value targets. The threat range is somewhat smaller, but it's far more devastating.

It seemed that most of thread was of the opinion that getting more than one model caught in the Oopsie means that Pere's opponent is a hopeless failure. Getting him to make two Oopsies seems rather beyond the pale ;)

One of the best counters I've come across so far is Hamelin (minion): everyone can play him, the other gremlins can't deal with him and he can dominate the board from a very long way away.

Aye, just played against him and he is rather annoying to say the least. Just the sheer "you can't do anything to me" factor is rather horrid and he is an extremely powerful piece with a crazy amount of potential (so much so that preparing for what he does is almost impossible as he can do so many things).

Marcus Crews could try using Waldgeists (from Neverborn faction) against Pere. Use them to move forests to his way to slow him down and cover your crew from Gremlin shooting. If you get near enough and can toss a forest on Pere you're good to go as you can then go ahead and use Entangle on him to prevent him from moving. The Waldgeists can also attack him through the forest and are fairly resistant to attacks with their Armor 2.

-Ropetus

Correct me if my interruption of the wording on the card is wrong, but, Entangle just says the model Entangled can not leave the forest template. This has been interrupted to mean he can still move, he just can't leave the forest template. (We may have interrupted wrong at our meta but the way the last sentence reads it looks like he can move, just not out of base contact of the forest. It is the lack of a coma separating moving and being moved out of base contact with the forest template.)

Of course if it is a small forest and he is locked down and out of the game, for the most part.

And if you Marshals rule it that you can not move you just made me a very happy Neverborn player. Especially since I am the only player that uses Waldgeists:puppet.

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer

• 2 weeks later...

If obey is used on Pere and you choose one of the attacks that has Stupid Luck as a trigger and use it, is that legal? I think its stupid luck- its the one that does triple damage and causes him to be sacrificed.

In the game I played where this happened we ruled that it can't be chosen as a trigger because that would make it part of the action violating the rules of obey, but I would like a more official ruling.

• 1 month later...

I haven't found him overpowered myself. He has significant weaknesses to offset his strengths. Specifically an extremely low WP that gets ridiculously low when he's defending in a duel. Plus he has to severely hurt himself to do, well, anything useful. You'll get one big bang out of him. Can you get enough enemies to make him worth it? Maybe, but not definitely.

He's one of those chaotic models that may do great one game, and the next gets used to blow up your own people. Not to mention there are models in the game immune to pulses (dreamer, Ras, december acolyte, etc).

tl dr version:I think he's reasonably well balanced, he's got the potential to be quite strong but it's not that hard to negate him, and he's one shot anyway.

If obey is used on Pere and you choose one of the attacks that has Stupid Luck as a trigger and use it, is that legal? I think its stupid luck- its the one that does triple damage and causes him to be sacrificed.

In the game I played where this happened we ruled that it can't be chosen as a trigger because that would make it part of the action violating the rules of obey, but I would like a more official ruling.

Oh hey this is an old question that got missed.

Edit: Henchman had it wrong. So here is the current ruling.

Yes obey can use triggers and since it is off a strike that could have missed there is no reason I see why it wouldn't.

Here is the thread.

My fing phone makes it impossible to edit anything.:mad:

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer

Pere's trigger states to sac him at the end of his trigger, therefore.. no you can't use his trigger..
Woo, slow down with the ruling there. Ok let's look at this and realize that this may have to be asked in the rules forum becuase it does bring an interesting point into question.

You can not Obey any model to take an "action" that would guarantee to Sacrifice or kill the model. That part we all agree to. Now Pere's attack does not do that and it is the action that is being Obeyed.

We are good to there.

Now here is the tricky part, a trigger is not an action and there for very well maybe exempt from that rule if you use RAW. But this may be a RAI situation that may prevent Pere from using it.

So post the question in the rules forum and see what happens.

(I am in the middle of something right now but if it is not posted tonight I will do it tomorrow.)

I got an unofficial official response just now.

Triggers are part of an action and are not separate, there fore since the attack has a chance to fail a player Obeying a model may use any Triggers. In this case a player my Obey Pere to make an attack and the have him Trigger Stupid Dumb Luck.

I saw the other threads on triggers and this has been the case for awhile and since no Marshals intervened and correct the respondent it looks like it is standing.