Who is the best Malifaux Master

Gollum528

The more I play the more I think Lilith and Perdita are over-rated. IMHO they're easier to pick up and do well with as they're fairly simple to make function on the table, and are much more forgiving of mistakes (Df8) than other masters.

In terms of a good players playing their masters to the best of their ability I think the top masters are: The Dreamer and Kirai. They can do the three things you need to be able to do to win games;

• Output damage,
  • Move quickly,
  • Run a high number of significant models

These for me are the three most important things for a crew to be able to do. Dreamer and Kirai crews can compete on all of these fronts.

That's me.

PS: I want to see Hamelin in action a bit more before I make a call on that one.

Lilith is not getting as much love as I thought she would. Somone mentioned masters being good at killing models versus being good at fulfilling objectives. Lilith is arguably good at both.

MythicFOX's criteria of damage output, moving fast, and a high number of significant minions is also easily met by Lilith. She can do a lot of damage, move half the board in one activation, and bring a swarm of terror tots. She can also be really hard to kill.

I think Zoraida could also be a contender for best overall master as well.

It really comes down to the Master you know best. Sure some do better against others but at the end of the day the game is so varied as to what your objectives are that each master approaches those objectives differently, some really excel at denial, some manipulation, other board control, other for sheer hitting power but you will need a little bit of all of this to consistently win games. For me Seamus is 'my' best master because I started playing Malifaux with him and am extremely familiar with how he works and what his weaknesses are and how to get around them, the familiar you are with a given master the more powerful they will become in your hands.

Couldn't have said it better!

Seamus was my first and i know him best so i play with him the most, but most of the time i know it comes down to the player and how well they can use their crew in any situation.

With that said sometimes other crews have it better off like collette, dreamer/chompy, Hamelin, and Perdita i hate the most because everything about her is so good, she truly is a beast.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned McM, his ability to put down a big threat in the form of the flesh golem and his ability to make any model Easy to Wound 2 is just dangerous, successfully put it on a master and they become hard pressed to keep them alive no matter what hits it.

but i love playing with a master that isn't of the top, .... because winning with them is "easier" then winning with another master. i like the challange

I agree 95% of the time, If I play a cheese list I feel dirty. Once I learned her, I'm pretty much undefeated with Colette. This is also why I have so many crews (see sig.)

But the last 5% of the time, when playing the guy who ALWAYS bring the same list and never changes, and always sais he so great and its the best. I love to pull out my big guns and decimate him. Just for the pure enjoyment of making him eat his words.

:spank:

I agree 95% of the time, If I play a cheese list I feel dirty. Once I learned her, I'm pretty much undefeated with Colette. This is also why I have so many crews (see sig.)

But the last 5% of the time, when playing the guy who ALWAYS bring the same list and never changes, and always sais he so great and its the best. I love to pull out my big guns and decimate him. Just for the pure enjoyment of making him eat his words.

:spank:

hear hear!!

i love exerimenting with my crews :D even if i lose, i don't mind, but when there is somebody who is saying, nah yah can't beat this list, or i'll beat you because my master is stronger, i WILL use a cheesy painfull list, and when you start and keep killing his toughest hardest minnions like they are some Mindless zombies, i love the look in there eyes, it's the same look you'll get if you steal a candy from a 4year old :D

This thread should be titled, "What's better: rock, paper, or scissors?"

I disagree and feel very fortunate to able to do so. I mean, as far as I can tell, the design philosophy behind Malifaux isn't "Rasputina easily beats Zoraida who easily beats Vickys who easily beat Rasputina" (to pick three random masters) but rather aims for balance most of the time. Doesn't mean that there are no bad match-ups (Hamelin vs Gremlins) but I don't see that as an ideal Wyrd is working towards but rather an unfortunate side-effect.

I disagree and feel very fortunate to able to do so. I mean, as far as I can tell, the design philosophy behind Malifaux isn't "Rasputina easily beats Zoraida who easily beats Vickys who easily beat Rasputina" (to pick three random masters) but rather aims for balance most of the time. Doesn't mean that there are no bad match-ups (Hamelin vs Gremlins) but I don't see that as an ideal Wyrd is working towards but rather an unfortunate side-effect.

well, some masters have a bit of a rock paper scissors thingy on them,

i can whipe and kill marcus with raspy, but marcus is fast and agile enough to take ramos down and pick them out one by one, and ramos his minions all have armor so bite of winter won't work on them and ramos can bypass that armor from the golem and gamin, and executioner can take out raspy with relative ease.

and this is only with the arcanists, and this is when you use the starterbox with a totem or 1 extra blister, so no special crews, and this is the average slaughter mission, i'm not talking about something else, because reconoiter or destroy the evidence, these are very different,

it comes to this, bottem line is simple, you have no "best" master, some are just a bit better and stronger, but it al depends from the strategies and schemes, that's why i like Malifaux, NO game is the same, even if you both play with the same crews, same strategies, you always will have another scheme or the board is different, wich will make the difference in the world in Malifaux.

when i'm playing 40k and i get to play against this cheesy list, i know i'm going down, but i Malifaux, they just have a better start, cheesy list are harder to take down or win from, but it's not impossible, (trust me i know, i tied with someone who was playing very cheesy and it made me win a tournemant)

as long as you stay focused on the game, know what you have to do and what your opponent has to do, and you know the strenghts and weaknesses of your models and from your enemy, nothing is impossible ;)

well, this is my opinion in what is the "best" master

I didn't mean it in a sense that certain masters willeasily beat others although there are some cases of that. I meant that any master can beat any other as well an be beaten by someone else in a chain that is obviously much longer than the three options of roshambo.

I'm dissapointed at the lack of love for everyones favourite beatstick in Lady J. But thats just me.

I think that there is no one best master it all depends on the scheme, strategy and how well the player plays them. I dont find that Hamelin too bad, same with Pandora, LJ + Onslaught + a squished pandora however you look at it.