Random book 3 poll :)

Kaine

We were talking in store about the popularity of the rules manual and it occurred to me that book 3 might work better as a set of two books, rules manual sized, one book holding the "fluff"/Story and the other the new characters/rules.

You would buy them as a set of two, and it would nicely keep the rules/characters separate from the fluff.

Views ?

Depends on how many new rules there's actually going to be.. Somehow I doubt there will be that many.. But we'll see soon enough I guess :)

If it's like Rising Powers with ~4 pages (not counting scenarios) then I see no reason to make a manual of those xD

(Unless you count statcards, but I assume you do not, as those aren't in the manual anyway.)

I voted for two books but only if they contain the fluff from the first two books also, or they release the fluff from the first two books seperately.

I ordered the rules manual but I would like to have the fluff from the first two books also without having to but the books with the now obsolete rules.

Depends on how many new rules there's actually going to be.. Somehow I doubt there will be that many.. But we'll see soon enough I guess :)

If it's like Rising Powers with ~4 pages (not counting scenarios) then I see no reason to make a manual of those xD

(Unless you count statcards, but I assume you do not, as those aren't in the manual anyway.)

I was thinking more than one book would be the rules, characters, any extra scenarios, not a replacement for a rules manual but more a flip book of the characters and any extra/new rules. We wont get cards for the new models until the model is released so would need them in the book.

The other book would be the story/fluff, and as Crooked mentions it could include the original story as well.

I think that by splitting them into 2 books they will hurt themselves sales wise. If two products come out it will cost more to create, manufacture, and ship. As well if two products come out going to the same target market they will invariably sell one less than the other. Sure alot of people are going to want both, but a good portion of the total player base will only want one or the other. However if they release one book most everyone in the target market will wish to pick it up.

Edited by Fetid Strumpet

I voted for two books only because I'd like to see an annual rules manual that would contain all the errata, including official rules interpretations, from the previous year. Well worth $15/year to me. Besides, at the rate mine is being used and worn, I'll need a new one in a year anyway.

Having said that, I do like the large book format for the fluff side of things.

I believe all of Wyrd's future books and expansions should be single books. I also think they should release the 1st two books fully updated as people who want them for the fluff may/will be put off by obsolete rules. The basic rules should be online (like they are, but include basic rules for other future releases), plus collected comprehensive free updates if rules change (a single pdf to print and add to rulebook). I think they could even have the rulebook as an electronic purchase that would automatically be updated when errata builds. Fluff and full rules (i.e. advanced rules, scenario stuff) should never be seperated for reasons stated, but there's no reason that they could not release novels in the future. Despite rulebooks being updated, etc, the Rules Manual is still a good idea simply for portability and easy reference, but people who want fluff - and maybe don't require the manual - won't be faced with obsolete rules. I also wouldn't say no to a book of collected - seen and unseen - artwork.

It's about providing practical options, without contradicting product content or sales. So you have:

• Full book with artwork, stories and models rules (everything in one place, but still Book 1, 2, etc)
  • Free online PDF with basic rules and selection of "demo" models' rules (Lady j starter etc)
  • Rules Manual with same rules, but perhaps more comprehensive referencing
  • Artwork book, perhaps with interviews and insight into design process
  • Novels - collected short stories or singular narratives
  • Painting and modelling guides, also feature Iron Painter winners and generally promote Wyrd Miniature models and competitions (rulesbooks for the game, this book for the hobby)

All of which could be bought and downloaded electronically with some in full circulation and others (artwork book) perhaps eletronic only or limited edition. The problem with limited edition books is that they can be easily pirated. Download purchases save Wyrd money on printing, while most will still buy a majority of printed versions. It's just easier to have immediate updates and be take advantage of impulse buying. You have the basic rules for free, but you haven't got the rules for some models - you'll get them, but why wait when you can download an awesome book with cool artwork and stories and get all the rules.

As for updated models cards, perhaps the item code in receipts or something similar could be used to purchase the updated card for free (with electronic download available).

Oh and yes, I don't live in America :D

I think that by splitting them into 2 books they will hurt themselves sales wise. If two products come out it will cost more to create, manufacture, and ship. As well if two products come out going to the same target market they will invariably sell one less than the other. Sure alot of people are going to want both, but a good portion of the total player base will only want one or the other. However if they release one book most everyone in the target market will wish to pick it up.

Nail, head.

I would be pleased to see one book, mini format, with stat-blocks from the first two and the anticipated 3rd book sans standing rules, fluff, and art. Perhaps it could contain any new rules/keywords from book 3.

In terms of a sales model - if book 3 is a 35$ full book my friends and I will likely buy 1 or 2 and share them, if there were a 15$ stat-block mini book we would likely each buy a copy (5-6 copies) because they would simply be so useful.

I do not relish the idea of paying 20$ extra for fluff and art.

Edited by Courtsloth

I like one big book myself , I saw some people mention they would like to see novels for fluff in the future.

That's a good idea , but for some reason I feel malifaux would do better with a line of deluxe graphic novels to tell it's story and get it's asthetic across in a more unique way.

I like one big book myself , I saw some people mention they would like to see novels for fluff in the future.

That's a good idea , but for some reason I feel malifaux would do better with a line of deluxe graphic novels to tell it's story and get it's asthetic across in a more unique way.

That's a great idea.

I generally think that Wyrd would do well to provide many of their products electronically.

What would people say to hardback rulebooks? Do you think in the future Wyrd will produce faction sourcebooks like Warmachine?

That's a great idea.

I generally think that Wyrd would do well to provide many of their products electronically.

What would people say to hardback rulebooks? Do you think in the future Wyrd will produce faction sourcebooks like Warmachine?

Actually I love a big hardcover beautifully done rulebook, and even thoughit means more money the collector in me would buy all five faction book's when the game get's big enough to warrant it.

+1 for this! I'd love some Malifaux graphic novels.

As for hard backs, I find they cost to much these days and prefer the soft back format. Granted, some companies seem able to bring out large format HB books relatively cheap, but that is becomings exceedingly rarer as time goes on. I imagine some would relish a HB, but if they were to do it I'd prefer to see them as a limited print special edition (slip case and/or leather bound, etc, you get the idea) with some extra goodie to entice people (exclusive model maybe?). They should continue with the format they do now though.

Isn't it complicated enough already to explain to new players which books they need (or should get)?

Effectively you'd be isolating the fluff into a stand-alone novel, and therefore reducing the average player's ease of access to the game's background. Do you think new players are likely to pick up a novel alongside their rules manual and starting crew? Sorry but I can't see that happening.

The story and the world building should be integrated into the overall main package, and then extra fluff in the form of novels can be added later.

Mike