Working on my McMourning crew

hakoMike

I have managed to both purchase and paint some models!

First: a nurse and a Reaper zombie dog handler that I plan to use as a flesh construct. I figure the dog's name must be Meathook. Hooray for one-night paint jobs!

nurse-and-doghandler.jpg

The humans, with a touch of Tallarn flesh

res-humans-wip-1.jpg

The dogs, including two Reaper guard dogs and a Reaper pug familiar. I'm unsure about the guard dogs, as the proportions seem too much like Tom & Jerry bulldog

res-dogs-wip-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more work... I seem to be sticking to the "one night paint job" theory of crew building, hence the breathtakingly mediocre model quality. If all goes well I might just make it out to RIW in Livonia this week with enough painted models for a 25ss game, fully painted.

The man himself.

mcmourning.jpg

And my forlorn looking convict gunslinger. I gave him skull make-up as an homage to the zombie-esque illustration in the book.

convict-gunslinger.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've been painting, so I figure I'd post.

First the completed models... it's about 2ss short of a 35ss crew.

malifaux-complete.jpg

Next, the WIP models that I just haven't gotten to finish...

malifaux-wip.jpg

And lastly the primed models...

malifaux-primed.jpg

I've been focusing on McMourning, but maybe I'll pick up Nicodem. I can't really imagine using Seamus without owning any Belles.

A little more work. Doggie and Mortimer.

Mortimer-and-pug.jpg

Not sure about Mortimer's face, especially in this craptastic picture. The model itself is a little perplexing. The cigar seems to jut from his upper lip. I did the coat with repeated applications of Secret Weapon soft body black wash over a white primer coat. The results were ok. I don't think I was playing to the strength of the product by using it that way. It made a nice look over time, but a little too "washy." It also dries somewhat glossy, so I needed to bring that down with dullcote. Mortimer didn't turn out as good as I'd hoped, but I doubt I'll ever get around to repainting him. Such is the way with miniature painting.

The pug was a neat little model. He looks humorously large next to the little Reaper pug familiar.

Cool. You did the convict gunslinger in one night? Wow nice work for such as short time to paint it!

Thanks! The gunslinger was actually done over two nights since I went on a "flesh rampage" one night and did a bunch of basecoating flesh and some highlighting. Looking back through the pics it also appears I did the skull-face that night too. So two nights for the gunslinger.

As a cigar smoker, I can say the facial position of the model is accurate. There is a tendency to thrust your lower jaw forward and tuck your upper lip back so it won't dangle on your chest. This combined with Mortimer's fat face actually makes it look like a big snaggle tooth before you paint it.

No worries though, man, you did an excellent job on him, especially the jacket. Extra points for the slight shine. It has a "digging during a foggy night gloss" to it that I find appealing.