Saying Seamus

dapatrick

• 3 months later...

Yeah, I've never heard it said in such a funky way either. It's always been leh-pri-cawn! Then again, I live in NY, we're smarter than your average American (at least we think so!).

There is a WWE superstar by the name of Sheamus. He is "from" Dublin, and is known as the "Celtic Warrior". The spelling irritates me and his horrible accent is even worse...then again maybe he's drunk.

BTW, leprechaun is pronounced leh-pri-cawn, not le-PRE-shan. Americans seem to favour the latter.
Where did you get that tid bit? We grow up with them Lucky Charms and I have never heard anyone pronounce it Leh-pre-shan.:P

Though most Americans think of them little guys as being a friendly fey and no one knows what a Pooka is.

By the way Guinness over here sucks compared to the stuff made in its home Dublin. What gives with that?

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer

Where did you get that tid bit?

From living in Ireland since I was 7, being (kinda) Irish, and meeting condescending tourists with loud shirts and louder voices who think everything is "cute".

Not so long ago at work one of them tried to "donate" a half used jar of Tesco peanut butter to the bakery, seeing as we're so backward and all that. Really.

At least we can spell axe correctly! :P Actually, let me take this opportunity to commend Wyrd for spelling it correctly in all 3 books.

From living in Ireland since I was 7, being (kinda) Irish, and meeting condescending tourists with loud shirts and louder voices who think everything is "cute".

Not so long ago at work one of them tried to "donate" a half used jar of Tesco peanut butter to the bakery, seeing as we're so backward and all that. Really.

At least we can spell axe correctly! :P Actually, let me take this opportunity to commend Wyrd for spelling it correctly in all 3 books.

Oh those people. We tend to call those people idiots. We're happy when they leave the country for awhile. And don't feel bad they treat us back here like we're lowly morons too, so you are not getting special treatment.

There is a good portion of people here who think they are something special and treat everyone else like dirt. Unfortunately they are the ones with money to travel and make the rest of us who have a brain look bad for living here.

Next time tell them you are giving them the peace sign when you give them this.p-16322.jpg

They will have no clue.

Oh, those people are just stupid. Trust me, we don't want to claim them either.

I've been born and raised in the US, despite my love of other countries. And it has always been the former pronunciation of leprechaun (I kept looking at your original post trying to figure out what I was supposedly getting wrong. Turns out nothing). And "axe". Though I have seen people misspell that one. It practically cause me physical pain.

Where did you get that tid bit? We grow up with them Lucky Charms and I have never heard anyone pronounce it Leh-pre-shan.:P

Though most Americans think of them little guys as being a friendly fey and no one knows what a Pooka is.

By the way Guinness over here sucks compared to the stuff made in its home Dublin. What gives with that?

The reason for that my man is that over here we have it piped straight to the pubs from the brewery, whereas over there you get the stuff that's had a preservative added and it also kegged with a tetrapak, Antibacterial lining. You wanna try drinkin the cack they serve in Europe. For some reason Guinness and sons won't export draught, so instead the send these cans called chargers that come with no gas at all in it. Once poured into a glass it is put on a stange metal plate with water on it (doesn't work without water), ya press a switch, it makes a funny humming noise and your Guinness magically gets a head on it :) still tastes lik $$$$$$$$wasser though