Saying Seamus

dapatrick

So how do you all pronounce Seamus' name?

I use "SEE - MUSS"

but got into a discussion recently where a local insisted that it was "SHAY - MUSS"

I know the later is much more common and accepted, but I have been hesitant to place the H sound into words ever since it sponsored a rather dubious episode of Sesame Street.

This has been made all the more confusing (to me) with the introduction of pronunciation guides in Rising Powers.

How do people in your area pronounce Zoraida? - I personally avoid it, calling her just "The Hag".

What about Silurid? Heck, I don't even know how to pronounce Nephilim!

So how do you all pronounce Seamus' name?

I use "SEE - MUSS"

but got into a discussion recently where a local insisted that it was "SHAY - MUSS"

I know the later is much more common and accepted, but I have been hesitant to place the H sound into words ever since it sponsored a rather dubious episode of Sesame Street.

This has been made all the more confusing (to me) with the introduction of pronunciation guides in Rising Powers.

How do people in your area pronounce Zoraida? - I personally avoid it, calling her just "The Hag".

What about Silurid? Heck, I don't even know how to pronounce Nephilim!

Shey-muss - Seamus is an irish name and the pronunciation is Shey-muss.

Zore eye duh is how we say it.

Sill - urr - idd - Seems the most obvious, though a lot of our group just says Slur-id.

Nephilim is pronounced Nef - il - em.

Edited by Sandwich

I'm italian and can't figure out irish phonetics, so I just call him 'that perverted leprechaun pimp-looking bastard with the hat'

Stupid pizza eating plumber

How about Róisín, Bláthnaid, Caolán, Padraig and Tadgh? ;) I have friends with these names - bloody spelled like it too. I regularly play Malifaux with Padraig and Tadgh.

Edit: Let us not forget poor Oisin!

Wow that looks difficult to pronounce

"We Irish"? Where you based Sevorin?

You Irish, me English

(Of Irish decent)

You Irish, me English

(Of Irish decent)

Speaking of which, Queen Lizzie is visiting Cork city today. Mostly peaceful except for a group of rednecks chanting and blaring rebel songs into Grand Parade. From Sullivans Quay, which is where I have to go to work in 5 minutes. Lucky me. If they start throwing sparkly things at the police like they did in Dublin I have an escape plan ready. It involves emergency exits, sprinting, warehouses and drinking ginger beer till they go away. Really.

I pray to the Grave Spirit for a relatively quiet day.

The SE makes a Sh sound in Irish speak

So Sean is Shawn

Seamus is Shamus.

Corretc pronounciation but wrong reasoning old chap.

Sorry to be pedantic but sean in Irish (and for that matter Scots) Gaelic is pronounced see-an and it is not a name. Sean translates as 'old'

Seán on the other hand is a name pronounced shaun or Shawn. It is the Irish equivalent of the English name John.

SE is not automatically pronounced as Sh, it depends on the context of the whole word. In this case the following letter a has a fada (or acute). This changes the pronounciation of the whole word.

Which gives you the mildly interesting fact that 'Seán sean' means 'old John'.

Confusingly Seamus would be pronounced Shay-mus if you were speaking about the person, but if you were addressing them directly it changes to something much more like Hamish. But then again, the english version of Seamus is James.

Anyway, back to the real world.....................

Corretc pronounciation but wrong reasoning old chap.

Sorry to be pedantic but sean in Irish (and for that matter Scots) Gaelic is pronounced see-an and it is not a name. Sean translates as 'old'

Seán on the other hand is a name pronounced shaun or Shawn. It is the Irish equivalent of the English name John.

SE is not automatically pronounced as Sh, it depends on the context of the whole word. In this case the following letter a has a fada (or acute). This changes the pronounciation of the whole word.

Which gives you the mildly interesting fact that 'Seán sean'

means 'old John'.

Confusingly Seamus would be pronounced Shay-mus if you were speaking about the person, but if you were addressing them directly it changes to something much more like Hamish. But then again, the english version of Seamus is James.

Anyway, back to the real world.....................

It's good seán translates into John and Peter, I would hate to have been called Peter Peter

Also Sean (as well as Shaun) are English spellings of Seán

Seamus and the Giant Peach would just be silly!

lol.

Now, after all this back and forth about the proper pronunciation of Seamus, I am firmly convinced that my way is easiest.

I'm italian and can't figure out irish phonetics, so I just call him 'that perverted leprechaun pimp-looking bastard with the hat'